License lapsed as renewal still not granted

Beardo

I've been waiting since before Christmas for my license to be renewed - so sent an email to the now merged 3 counties FAC dept saying i was worried i would be holding unlicensed firearms. License lapsed 26/01 - finally got an email today saying yes you have unlicensed - you need to place your firearms with a dealer, and you will be contacted in due course to review your application and suitability to renew.
Am i right in thinking i can ask them to issue a Section 7 temporary license?

I had confirmation from staffs that i had not had my licence revoked, it was in hand and being sorted as soon as possible and not to be concerned. I asked if the firearms should be handed over to my RFD and was told it was not necessary. 

If those that issue the licence tell me not to be concerned then that's what I do. 

Just now, Beardo said:

we used to have such a good firearms team but it's been decimated in the last couple of years - went from Herts  to Herts & Beds, and now it's Herts, Beds & Cambs! 3 big counties with one tiny team.

Yes Cambs were quite good too. Now it has all been combined it seems the worst bits of all three seem to have taken over.

It would be interesting to see the number of licences in an area (the income) and the operating costs for running firearms licencing. I don't think BASC have done the exercise under FOI but I will drop them a line and ask. You would expect the budget to cover the costs after the meetings to determine licencing costs. Either the budget was wrong or the money has gone elsewhere. 

58 minutes ago, oowee said:

It would be interesting to see the number of licences in an area (the income) and the operating costs for running firearms licencing. I don't think BASC have done the exercise under FOI but I will drop them a line and ask. You would expect the budget to cover the costs after the meetings to determine licencing costs. Either the budget was wrong or the money has gone elsewhere. 

You could always do your own FOIA request, its not unreasonable and they should have no grounds to refuse you

Had my renewal for both firearms and shotgun certificates in mid January this year.

i sent the renewal off in good time to  the Staffordshire firearms licensing department and they straight away sent back temporary certificates to cover me until March.

the new certificates were with me however just a few days before the old one expired so we’ll done staffs.

14 hours ago, oowee said:

The fees do not cover costs and for some years the police have been asking the HO for the fees to cover full cost recovery.

Both BASC and the CA have argued successfully with government that until the service improves full cost recovery should not be implemented.

7 hours ago, CharlieT said:

The fees do not cover costs and for some years the police have been asking the HO for the fees to cover full cost recovery.

Both BASC and the CA have argued successfully with government that until the service improves full cost recovery should not be implemented.

Got you. I mistakenly thought that the FELWAG (was it?) group had worked out full cost recovery and the fee had been set at that. Do you know what the full recovery cost was? 

45 minutes ago, oowee said:

Got you. I mistakenly thought that the FELWAG (was it?) group had worked out full cost recovery and the fee had been set at that. Do you know what the full recovery cost was? 

I don't think the figure was ever worked out or published.

The last FELWG minute on the matter was....................

Fees for certificates – proposal to ministers is that there should not be an increase in fees this year. DO has spoken to NPCC colleagues – there is reducing tolerance from many Chief’s in relation to the total cost to policing of licensing provision versus what is recouped from the fees. DO was clear he did not want to waste police time to attend multiple working groups if there was no ministerial appetite for full cost recovery, as anything other than this figure would be arbitrary. As such DO requests the fee is either not touched, is inflation linked, or there is full cost recovery – the emphasis being on full – everything that it costs policing to provide the licensing function. Clearly the police position is that we would want full recovery, though this is now a matter for the Home Office.

DO has no problem in mobilising staff to provide robust accurate data, but this must be predicated on an appetite to recover costs in full, not a bench mark to begin a negotiation / auction scenario, which has what has happened in the past. DC made the observation about statutory guidance, and that if Chief Officers were to follow that guidance, it would require significant investment, which may cause tensions between Chief Officers and the Home Officers. DO acknowledged this, and also added that PCC’s may well have strong views on this matter.

Edited by CharlieT

My SGC ran out yesterday, I put in for renewal early December, I have rang up 4 times in the last two weeks asking about it, I have been told it has been renewed and it is in one of the officers folders. They say don't worry you are all legal as the license has been renewed, it evens says this on their web page. Why can't they post it, then come and inspect the cabinet, they could always revoke it if they weren't satisfied. Three weeks its been with him, he must have an awful long list of people to see if it takes this long.

19 hours ago, ladyjack said:

I sent mine for renewal 3 weeks before it expired, got a phone call from fo,asked if anything had changed I said no  everything still the Same as last time, got ticket a week later,no visit.

Yes mine was done like that, he asked me what guns I had on my certificate and then told me where my cabinet was and 5 days later I received my new certificate 

So i sent back an email requesting a section 7 on Feb 12, damned if i'm paying £10 a rifle per month for storage. Got a call this morning from a FLO based up in Huntingtdon - went through the normal questions. He tried to get me to lower my ammo hold amounts as he said Cambs didn't like that much. I politely explained they'd already been granted by Herts and it makes sense when buying expanding heads. So he relented.
No visit apparently. Granted renewal.

1 minute ago, Beardo said:

So i sent back an email requesting a section 7 on Feb 12, damned if i'm paying £10 a rifle per month for storage. Got a call this morning from a FLO based up in Huntingtdon - went through the normal questions. He tried to get me to lower my ammo hold amounts as he said Cambs didn't like that much. I politely explained they'd already been granted by Herts and it makes sense when buying expanding heads. So he relented.
No visit apparently. Granted renewal.

A good result, shame it wasn't just accepted and renewed!

2 hours ago, Chris B. said:

I don't know if I am being silly, but after posting  here on Monday about my wait for a SGC renewal, first thing Tuesday I receive a call to make an appointment for a interview.

Just coincidence, or do they read these forums.

There have been several FEO's who are on Pigeon Watch!

16 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

They have stopped visits up here in Northumberland for people aged between 21-65 providing it’s not their first renewal.

This is for shotguns, don’t know about firearms.

We just get a phone call interview, ssves on the hobnobs ☺️

:shaun:

i never got a visit or phone call. just sent it.