Das Boot

B725

Used to watch the original series when we farmed in France - Visited the Bordeaux and La Rochelle U Boat pens soon after which the French almost deny are sitting in the middle of their city (they cannot hide them as they are truly massive) There was a small side entrance at Bordeaux as if the French were ashamed of what the Germans left behind (I wonder why?) Inside there was no information about the pens or the slave labour that built them only a very bizarre photographic exhibition that had nothing at all to do with "the war". 

The original series  was brilliant with Jurgen Prochnow (Captain) Erwin Leder (Chief mechanic) etc etc - Alas we do not have Skye out of principal so maybe there will be a boxed set?

Just now, Vince Green said:

Its a German programme about German people  killing unarmed British merchant Navy sailors. Where is the entertainment in that?  The U boats sank unarmed merchant ships lets not forget that.

Incorrect Sir, many, in fact most merchant ships were armed. Many were disguised as merchant ships to entice the submarines. Whatever and whoever it was a bloody awful place to be - either above or below the surface. Have a look at the PQ 17 convoy - carnage!

7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Its a German programme about German people  killing unarmed British merchant Navy sailors. Where is the entertainment in that?  The U boats sank unarmed merchant ships lets not forget that.

I have huge respect for all our armed force's but any war will have innocent people killed. Its a shame as an educationed race human being's just want to kill each other mainly for plain stupid idea's. 

I watched the original with my Dad and will always stay with me.

I watched the remake recently while in hospital and the very first scene nearly gave me nightmares with the sub flooding after the depth charge attack.

I did find myself having to forward through some bits but generally not bad, I think I prefer the original for sheer atmosphere.

I have watched all episodes of the new Das boot on sky and really enjoying it, subtitles and all.

it has two story lines- one on the u-boat and one on land with the French resistance and both kept me hooked.

The program portrays the German sailors and German soldiers as a bunch of murderous thugs who have no regard for the French civilians men or women.

I know that recent generations of Germans are appalled and ashamed of their history and perhaps this new Das boot is letting everyone know how they feel about the war.

just my opinion.

Hitman.