Fibre or Plastic

Didn't want to sidetrack the existing threads.

Even if I wanted to choose I couldn't, the estate has decided so fibre it is. Consequently, I've been doing my own thing for years having reached a plateau on which I'm happy. I have a bookcase containing much good information which was somewhat of a necessity 40 odd years ago, but not read now and the only "magazine" I take is PW. Because I have an interest, the only thing outside of PW I keep an eye on is any writing concerning patterns/testing and particularly that work of the BASC. However, in the case of the latter this is stagnant and as far as I'm aware non existent elsewhwere, but particularly with regard to Gauss or what the Americans call 'central thickening' This phenomenon has been touched upon in one of the current threads but without ackowledging any reason.

As no one has ever really mentioned this on PW, and in view of the current debate about the patterning characteristics of the two wad types, what is the latest published information on how to assess cartridge performance patternwise or, in fact, are we still using information published in the 1930s? Certainly, I've seen nothing current. Has anyone spotting anything relating to the above phenomenon to which all cartridges are subject?

Edited by wymberley

17 minutes ago, timps said:

While not exactly what you are after it does touch on fibre v’s plastic but its mainly about lead v’s non toxic so might be of some interest to you. http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1382490/1/396689.pdf

Many thanks. David worked with Roger Giblin who headed up the BRL while he (David) was doing his PhD. If you scan through, you'll note the  name Journee who discussed the pellet distribution that we're on about at the end of the 19th century but which was missed here until almost the end of the 20th.

50 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks. David worked with Roger Giblin who headed up the BRL while he (David) was doing his PhD. If you scan through, you'll note the  name Journee who discussed the pellet distribution that we're on about at the end of the 19th century but which was missed here until almost the end of the 20th.

I did read it a bit back, I was interested in atmospheric pressure and did it effect the pattern in any noticeable way. Neil Winston did some tests on Central Thickening at altitude and the decrease in air pressure did tighten the centre of the patterns significantly.

But as I doubt, I’ll be shooting at the 7000ft he used anytime soon it was just out of academic interest for me.  

1 hour ago, timps said:

I did read it a bit back, I was interested in atmospheric pressure and did it effect the pattern in any noticeable way. Neil Winston did some tests on Central Thickening at altitude and the decrease in air pressure did tighten the centre of the patterns significantly.

But as I doubt, I’ll be shooting at the 7000ft he used anytime soon it was just out of academic interest for me.  

:lol:

I'd lost it before I got to the end of the title. Still, I suppose it was aimed at the people who would decide whether or not it meritted his PhD. Roger sent me a copy of the final report to Defra which was OK, being aimed at civil servants, but all I really need to know is how does it affect my shooting.