Carrying .22lr

Dazv

Hi all 

I'm currently awaiting my interview for an fac. Unlike shotgun cartridges the rifle ammunition seems to be a hell of a lot smaller and far more likely to drop and get lost. I'm wondering how you guys carry rifle ammunition around when your shooting? I've seen on amazon these little containers that have a space for each bullet has anyone used these before??

any help is much appreciated

darren 

8 minutes ago, Dazv said:

Hi all 

I'm currently awaiting my interview for an fac. Unlike shotgun cartridges the rifle ammunition seems to be a hell of a lot smaller and far more likely to drop and get lost. I'm wondering how you guys carry rifle ammunition around when your shooting? I've seen on amazon these little containers that have a space for each bullet has anyone used these before??

darren 

The plastic cases are good, quieter than boxes 

My deer and fox rifles have elasticated ammo slips on the stocks, hold nine rounds which is more than enough to keep me more than happy with nine of either on the deck.. I shoot a single shot Thompson / Centre Encore so on the stock makes taking a second shot if required very easy.  My small calibre rifles,  I have a number of mags for and have them loaded up and in my pocket. 

1 hour ago, Dazv said:

Hi all 

darren 

I've a leather pouch that holds 30 bullets that slips into your pocket Never been used from new if your interested

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Wouldnt soft nosed heads be knocked about and distorted all loose in some sort of pouch? 

I used to put mine in old .22WMR partitioned plastic boxes which had sliding lids. Really practical. I believe Eley sell .22lr in such boxes also, or used to.

They still do. I bought a box of eley this week and its very handy to slid the lid and tip a row of 5 out into your hand. I have a couple if mags which are pre loaded before leaving or if I only take one then I take the box of ammo with me in my pocket and reload on the move. 

14 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

As above. You can get good plastic cases that hold 50 rounds, and will protect the ammunition. When going to or from your permission, DON'T leave ammunition in the magazines, even if you keep them away from the rifle.

Just a quickie . Why ? 

I know you can’t travel with a loaded mag in an airrifle but as far as I was told by basc it’s all good with firearms. On the way to a shoot your even allowed to keep it next to you out of the slip with it loaded I was informed . ( I wouldn’t recommend that at all I’ll add) on the way back it’s in s slip . I couldn’t believe what basc told me . 

Some rules seem weird . 

Please note im only going off what I was told by basc when I rang them ;) 

Edited by team tractor

I think it's more of the discretion of the local county FEO as to how they interpret the laws

One should not travel with a loaded weapon unless on private land  where one is carrying out therir duty / sport .  I can'nt see any problem with loading magazines prior to leaving your home as long as they are not loaded into ones rifle

also best to have the bolts seperate in a bolt holder till you reach your shooting ground thus rendering the rifle useless in the hands of them that should not be in possesion of such weapon

At least that is what we have been advised

Edited by sabel25

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

Just a quickie . Why ? 

I know you can’t travel with a loaded mag in an airrifle but as far as I was told by basc it’s all good with firearms. On the way to a shoot your even allowed to keep it next to you out of the slip with it loaded I was informed . ( I wouldn’t recommend that at all I’ll add) on the way back it’s in s slip . I couldn’t believe what basc told me . 

Some rules seem weird . 

Please note im only going off what I was told by basc when I rang them ;) 

I was informed (not sure by who) that carrying a magazine filled with ammunition, can be seen as having a loaded firearm. Stupid, I know.

9 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I was informed (not sure by who) that carrying a magazine filled with ammunition, can be seen as having a loaded firearm. Stupid, I know.

I was told only on an airrifle.

please don’t think of these as a sarcastic replies :) . Hard to write stuff and explain what you mean .

im only going off what I’ve read in magazines on the mag bit. 

Laws are strange as we know 

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

I was told only on an airrifle.

please don’t think of these as a sarcastic replies :) . Hard to write stuff and explain what you mean .

im only going off what I’ve read in magazines on the mag bit. 

Laws are strange as we know 

I too am only going on what's been said/heard.

I asked my FEO and he doesn't have a problem with loaded mags in safes etc but knew one of the other FEO's doesn't allow it - My take was when shooting 22LR's in comps that putting them in and out of mags and back into the boxes does place stress on a fairly fragile thing so leaving them in the mags is preferable - my mags often have fifteen or so round left in each so maybe 45 round going back into a box and then to be taken out and reloaded next time, then maybe loaded and unloaded next time if unlucky

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

asked my FEO and he doesn't have a problem with loaded mags in safes etc but knew one of the other FEO's doesn't allow it

And there is the problem, it's not the Law doesn't allow it, but someone who thinks they can make the Law up. Same with the Doctor's report. There should be clear Laws not guidelines.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I asked my FEO and he doesn't have a problem with loaded mags in safes etc but knew one of the other FEO's doesn't allow it

I'm not sure any FEO would ever get to know how shooters carry their mag's to a permission, and to be truthful it's not up to him to decide what is or isn't allowed.