Benelli mag tube

MBW

I have a benelli m2 which has the extended 8 shot tube on it,  I've been Invited to do a bit of fowling with a new shooting buddy next season, as the benelli is my only steel proof gun, and I don't fancy shelling out on bismuth, was wondering if anyone knew if I could buy a crimped mag tube, swap it over and make my 8 shot into a 3 shot.    Has anyone any experience with this?  Would be interested to Know how you got on with licensing side of things, does the gun need to be held on both fac and sgc for example? As I would like to swap back and forth between 3 and 8 

You might have just really helped me out, I have my 2 + 1 tube for my Franchi from when it was section 2 (now fac 7+1) and I assume that as my fac doesn’t specify shot count but just the gun there is no limit or no minimum cartridges it must hold.  Great idea, I’ll watch this with interest.  The only pain is putting the big tube back on as the spring is a pita to put back in (my justification for not cleaning)

You could make a dowel plug fit it in the extension as long as the gun is not capable of holding more than two in the mag  AFAIK its legal as of the 1981 wildlife and countryside act. I have Fac but no FAC shotgun so not sure if it has conditions on your license or not restricting it from being used of wildfowl

1 hour ago, JDBenelliM1 said:

A friend just asked the very same question to our local licensing department, they told him once turned into a firearm section 1 shotgun it can never be classed as a section 2 shotgun again

Then how do gunsmiths get on with crimping mag tubes and re-proofing to turn a section 1 into section 2?

I was looking at a Franchi AL48 on the "bargain bin" rack at Saddlery & Gunroom a short while ago, and was very tempted until I noticed it was S1. "No problem", they said, "we can do the crimp and re-proofing for £45".

(Sort of regretting not buying it now 😟

1 hour ago, JDBenelliM1 said:

A friend just asked the very same question to our local licensing department, they told him once turned into a firearm section 1 shotgun it can never be classed as a section 2 shotgun again

Not sure that’s correct for the reasons CaptainBeaky has stated, but if the OP’s shotgun is on his ticket classified as S1, I’m not sure that simply swapping for a restricted mag’ legally changes it to S2? Wouldn’t he technically still be using a S1 shotgun to shoot game? 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

Not sure that’s correct for the reasons CaptainBeaky has stated, but if the OP’s shotgun is on his ticket classified as S1, I’m not sure that simply swapping for a restricted mag’ legally changes it to S2? Wouldn’t he technically still be using a S1 shotgun to shoot game? 

Would have to agree as the serial no's will be registered as a fac  Then if you came to sell who do you sell it to S1 or S2

By altering it from 8 to 3 and vise versa Technicaly you have two guns registered with the same serial number which might not go down too well with the FEO

Think i would leave well alone and go out and buy a cheapy 3 shot  3 1/2" chamber semi

Certainly in our county there are conditions on S1 shotguns. Mine is only for Vermin, PSG and target competitions. Pretty sure wildfowl are not vermin 🤣

Also our authority is a stickler for once S1 always S1, reasoning being that if it’s capable of being S1 then it can be changed if it is a S2. Kind of odd logic but that’s what they say. 

As said above it is easier, and less stressful to get a S2 for wildfowling than to mess with the Benelli. 

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

I would check with my FEO regarding conditions of use. With a  “duck plug” fitted you would be honouring the wildfowl restriction. If you purchased a standard mag cap and fitted instead of your extension tube then a standard duck plug would limit you to two in the mag. Using your existing long spring would give you full power for cycling. The gun would look right for its secondary purpose.

As an aside, S1 shotguns can be crimped, magazine permanently fixed (if not already), proofed and come back from the proof house as S2 with a certificate. Probably best to get an RFD to do it though. Going the other way is also possible, with a slight risk of weakening the magazine tube when removing the crimp

Going the 'other way' depends on the type of crimp, as some crimps are also slotted to prevent it being removed, and S1 to S2 isn't cheap, as like you say, it entails the actual work, a reproof plus postage both ways. I've had it done. 

I'm not sure of the legalities of swapping back and forth between S1 and S2, when the shotgun is registered as S1, but I doubt it's legit. Who is going to know you've restricted the mag'? Even with a mag' restriction it's still classed as a S1. For what difference it would make what is there to stop you simply loading three?

im assuming the S1 will be conditioned ( mine is ) so whether it has a mag restriction or not, using it for purposes other than what it is conditioned for will mean the the user is in breach of those conditions, won’t it? 

Edited by Scully

Only problem Scully is if your on the foreshore with an FAC 8 shot semi  How would you convince any authority that you were only putting 3 cartridges in the weapon at a time

Looks like  the OP  MBW has decided to purchase an 3 shot semi  Which is the best and cheapest option as i mentioned earlier

With all the other threads relating to sgc and fac licencing authories with varying conditions I would aire on the side of precaution  and stay within the parameters of the local feo

8 hours ago, sabel25 said:

Only problem Scully is if your on the foreshore with an FAC 8 shot semi  How would you convince any authority that you were only putting 3 cartridges in the weapon at a time

That’s what I mean, but which authority is going to be on the foreshore with you? But as I said, if it’s conditioned then it doesn’t matter how many cartridges you load. 

8 hours ago, sabel25 said:

Looks like  the OP  MBW has decided to purchase an 3 shot semi  Which is the best and cheapest option as i mentioned earlier

With all the other threads relating to sgc and fac licencing authories with varying conditions I would aire on the side of precaution  and stay within the parameters of the local feo

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s what I mean, but which authority is going to be on the foreshore with you? But as I said, if it’s conditioned then it doesn’t matter how many cartridges you load. 

I would hope the biggest problem might well be your fellow law abiding Wild-fowlers who would take a poor view of any one not obeying the conditions of FAC shotguns.

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would hope the biggest problem might well be your fellow law abiding Wild-fowlers who would take a poor view of any one not obeying the conditions of FAC shotguns.

Well i have heard of wildfowlers up this way being checked  for permits and checking cartridges ( bailiffs ) So might not look  too good standing with an 8 shot semi hanging on your shoulder

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Indeed, if there’s anyone else there. 

I’m not advocating anyone ignoring the conditions of their tickets, but I sincerely doubt changing the mag’ will keep it lawful either. The OP would be better suited to buying a 3” chambered S2 pump or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Indeed, if there’s anyone else there. 

I’m not advocating anyone ignoring the conditions of their tickets, but I sincerely doubt changing the mag’ will keep it lawful either. The OP would be better suited to buying a 3” chambered S2 pump or whatever. 

I quite agree, a Section 2 weapon can be changed to a Section 1 as long as the FAC has a space to enter it upon.

BUT it cannot go back to being a Section 2 ever!

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I quite agree, a Section 2 weapon can be changed to a Section 1 as long as the FAC has a space to enter it upon.

BUT it cannot go back to being a Section 2 ever!

Sorry, but I’ve had a S1 shotgun converted to S2. It was a  Winchester 1300XTR; not that that makes a difference, and as I’ve said,  it incurs cost and time but it can be done.