Noisy sub 22lr

Jbob

My mate and I where out in the week with our 22's. I was shooting eley sub sonic thought a PH mod and he had brought fiocchi sub sonic along for his rifle and was putting them through a SAK mod. 

We also had a few high velocity round that even moderated gave a bit of a crack, as you would expect.

The eley subs went thorough both mods fine and the loudest noise was the bullet hitting the target. However the fiocchi subs where much louder, nearly as loud as the high velocities. To cap it all the noise wasnt always at the same level, some a bit more quiter (still louder than the eleys) and some nearly as loud as the HV's. Both mods couldnt suppress the fiocchi's.

Bad batch/box or is this typical for fiocchi? I have trid them in the past once, cant say I remember them being this loud.

Edited by Jbob

22 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Rubbish bullets I would guess, stick with Eley or RWS if you can get them - btw the RWS HVHP are a superb round if you ever get chance to buy some.

I normally use Winchester subs but thought I’d give eley another go. Last time I tried eley I had 5 miss fires from a single box of 50 so I lost confidence in them. 

Ive tried rws but they don’t group very well through my rifle. Could be me and not the gun though lol.

Edited by Jbob
typo

I use Winchester super X subs through my 452 and they are quiet and have been knocking off magpies at 95 to 100 metres with no probs

My lass was in the next room watching some **** on tv Me was in the kitchen shooting from the window and she had'nt a clue what i was doing till she saw me going across the field with the spaniel to clear up the dead carcasses

18 hours ago, Jbob said:

My mate and I where out in the week with our 22's. I was shooting eley sub sonic thought a PH mod and he had brought fiocchi sub sonic along for his rifle and was putting them through a SAK mod. 

We also had a few high velocity round that even moderated gave a bit of a crack, as you would expect.

The eley subs went thorough both mods fine and the loudest noise was the bullet hitting the target. However the fiocchi subs where much louder, nearly as loud as the high velocities. To cap it all the noise wasnt always at the same level, some a bit more quiter (still louder than the eleys) and some nearly as loud as the HV's. Both mods couldnt suppress the fiocchi's.

Bad batch/box or is this typical for fiocchi? I have trid them in the past once, cant say I remember them being this loud.

remington subs are just the same. you get four or five crackers in every box. they must have a touch more powder in them to make them supersonic

I'm using CCI subs - this is the only cartridge I have found which will cycle my Remington 597. I have also noticed a couple of rounds out of every 100 seem unusually loud. I was using a second had generic moderator and I put it down to the mod being knackered so fitted a new A-Tech Wave and its exactly the same...every now and then theres a really loud crack.

5 hours ago, bornfree said:

remington subs are just the same. you get four or five crackers in every box. they must have a touch more powder in them to make them supersonic

Interesting. The problem with this box of fiocchi's was that it was all 50 that where hot not just a few. Not sure if my mate will buy them again. 

I will be sticking with Winchester. Last time out with them the thump down range was louder than the shot and they grouped well.

13 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I use Winchester super X subs through my 452 and they are quiet and have been knocking off magpies at 95 to 100 metres with no probs

My lass was in the next room watching some **** on tv Me was in the kitchen shooting from the window and she had'nt a clue what i was doing till she saw me going across the field with the spaniel to clear up the dead carcasses

I can only seam to find the the Winchester Max 22 subs 42gn round my part :unhappy: Ive tried the super X and my brno liked them but not been able to find anymore. Except at auction and the bidding went to high for my liking. Shame, that would be my ammo of choice.

Extra loud sub-sonic ammo usually isn't subsonic ... that's the problem. Manufacturers want you to get the best from their ammo so you'll buy it again, so they'll load subsonics to within an inch (metaphorically) of being supersonic, through their test rifle on a certain day under the prevailing conditions at the time. Trouble is, the speed of sound is NOT a constant. It varies with humidity, altitude, and a host of other factors. Ammo that is nicely sub-sonic on a warm dry day in, say, Nevada where it's made and tested, may well go super-sonic on a cold, damp evening in Blighty when you're out bunny bashing. It only needs to be 1/2 ft/sec more than the speed of sound there and then and you'll get a 'sonic crack' as it leaves the rifle.

I've found that Winchester Super X (40gr) performs the best for both consistency and accuracy in both my .22RF rifles, but even that produces a 'cracker' every now and then. Usually on the aforementioned cold damp evening.

14 hours ago, Longstrider said:

Extra loud sub-sonic ammo usually isn't subsonic ... that's the problem. Manufacturers want you to get the best from their ammo so you'll buy it again, so they'll load subsonics to within an inch (metaphorically) of being supersonic, through their test rifle on a certain day under the prevailing conditions at the time. Trouble is, the speed of sound is NOT a constant. It varies with humidity, altitude, and a host of other factors. Ammo that is nicely sub-sonic on a warm dry day in, say, Nevada where it's made and tested, may well go super-sonic on a cold, damp evening in Blighty when you're out bunny bashing. It only needs to be 1/2 ft/sec more than the speed of sound there and then and you'll get a 'sonic crack' as it leaves the rifle.

I've found that Winchester Super X (40gr) performs the best for both consistency and accuracy in both my .22RF rifles, but even that produces a 'cracker' every now and then. Usually on the aforementioned cold damp evening.

Thank for that.

Wasn’t aware subs where that’s sensitive to. I’m still learning and quickly too.

I’ll let him know cos he gets good groups with fiocchi but was disappointed they where going super sonic on him. 

Wish I could get my hands on some Winchester super x but there’s non around my part that I have found.