Hide Poles ???

marsh man

Part of my standard kit is 2 long bamboo canes (8ft?) fitted with short pegs at 6 inch intervals at the top to fasten the hide net to. I usually use these at the back of the hide so have a good high back.  But these can go in pretty deep and still give a good height.  I also have 2 hazel pegs and some green string to help when in a strong wind.  Twos always been enough for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve cut off the very tip of my poles with hacksaw, just enough to make a flat area, then  drilled pilot hole and ran  tap down to take a length of threaded bar as long as you want,  then add a lock nut to secure, works a treat. Easy to tap as it’s ally/ alloy. 

Edited by Kgreg

Im going to try the same as walker. Bought 4 washing line props from wilko. £3 each. Extend to 2.2mtrs. Need to make a kick plate, but they feel strudy enough for a few seasons. Luckily where i shoot i could drill a hole using my p**s. So ill get the kick plates in for summer. 

They come in green or silver, the finish is gloss, so tomorrow before i go out to try them, ill rub the sheen off with a bit of 120 grit. Before that i was using hazel sticks, but got a bit heavy seeing as i have to walk about half mile. 

IMG-20190308-WA0003.jpeg

55 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Im going to try the same as walker. Bought 4 washing line props from wilko. £3 each. Extend to 2.2mtrs. Need to make a kick plate, but they feel strudy enough for a few seasons. Luckily where i shoot i could drill a hole using my p**s. So ill get the kick plates in for summer. 

They come in green or silver, the finish is gloss, so tomorrow before i go out to try them, ill rub the sheen off with a bit of 120 grit. Before that i was using hazel sticks, but got a bit heavy seeing as i have to walk about half mile. 

IMG-20190308-WA0003.jpeg

hello, put a few photos up when you finish making these to hide poles,

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2019 at 22:52, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, put a few photos up when you finish making these to hide poles,

hello, went out  and bought 4 from Homebase, at £3.50 each, there is no wilko here but B and Q were £5.75 each for same, going to make mine 3 section to go in a long tool bag or rucksack as i cannot find any on the net or shops, cheers

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, went out  and bought 4 from Homebase, at £3.50 each, there is no wilko here but B and Q were £5.75 each for same, going to make mine 3 section to go in a long tool bag or rucksack as i cannot find any on the net or shops, cheers

Sorry ididnt finish them, by that i mean put feet on. The ground here is so soft i can push them in 8 inch no problem. Ive set them low atm as im in a bit of a ditch. I pin the net down with tent pegs, and honestly i cant see why youd want to spend 60 quid on a branded set. Im new so maybe thats why, but i like to keep a budget or else im go mad like i do with fishing kit... 

1553430732682.jpg as you can see i didnt even bother taking the labels off 😅

Edited by strimmer_13

Just now, strimmer_13 said:

Sorry ididnt finish them, by that i mean put feet on. The ground here is so soft i can push them in 8 inch no problem. Ive set them low atm as im in a bit of a ditch. I pin the net down with tent pegs, and honestly i cant see why youd want to spend 60 quid on a branded set. Im new so maybe thats why, but i like to keep a budget or else im go mad like i do with fishing kit... 

Exactly why I use the Morrison's £2 poles and when they break or get bent I replace them with the same.

6 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Did you put feet on? I was thinking off cutting some electric fence feet off and jubilee clips to hold them on. Either that or ill weld up something mad

hello, check out the fishing umbrella spikes you can buy, strong 2 point, kicker  and tube, this is what i will get as do not have any where to make, if you can weld i would do one of these but use a smaller tube, they are 19mm/3/4inch on my poles, i would think same yours, cheers 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

14 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Did you put feet on? I was thinking off cutting some electric fence feet off and jubilee clips to hold them on. Either that or ill weld up something mad

No, see below.

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, check out the fishing umbrella spikes you can buy, strong 2 point, kicker  and tube, this is what i will get as do not have any where to make, if you can weld i would do one of these but use a smaller tube, they are 19mm/3/4inch on my poles, i would think same yours, cheers 

I use the same things as Oldypigeonpopper!

s-l225.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:56, strimmer_13 said:

IMG-20190308-WA0003.jpeg

I hope you didn't waste your time sanding them down.

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just an update, have now ordered 4 brolly ground spikes, the bottom pole will be held in by a twist grip lock so you can store the spikes separate, i shall also be looking at a screw type for hard ground, anyone interested in some spikes let me know.   costing so far is £31,    cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just an update, have now ordered 4 brolly ground spikes, the bottom pole will be held in by a twist grip lock so you can store the spikes separate, i shall also be looking at a screw type for hard ground, anyone interested in some spikes let me know.   costing so far is £31,    cheers

hello, anyone wanting to buy some brolly ground spikes, i purchased mine from fishing.mad for less than £20 posted item number 331333942068

On 25/03/2019 at 13:26, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, anyone wanting to buy some brolly ground spikes, i purchased mine from fishing.mad for less than £20 posted item number 331333942068

hello, just waiting for some new screw adjusters then i shall be making a set of 4 poles, anyone interested i could do a new post ?