Beretta not fitting, what will?

strimmer_13

Hi hope you lot can help out. 

You can skip all the bull **** below as all im asking is, if a beretta dont fit will a browning? Saying ive heard recently. 

My mate whos pretty new to the shotgunning world is useless. I mean terrible. Absolutely dreadful. And its down to his gun. It doesnt fit / love him. Im looking at him, shouldered and im very confident the comb is too high and the cast is off/straight. Lop seems good/correct. He always shoots low and left. And a good smacked cheek 😉 after a few to many shots. Hes not a odd shape, about 6"1'. The gun in question is a beretta a301. I told him to get one as i used one years ago and we bonded, fast dirty, kinky loving but due to extra marital urges, i hooked up with a rough hatsan and got stuck with that instead. Oh the regrets. In the end we broke up. It got complicated. All suffered. The children where mere empty shells of their former selfs. Anyway moving on. 

The question

Ive now recommend a urika (still looks sexy, gun not bad either) but ive heard that if a beretta dont fit a browning will. How true is this? Should i be telling him to caress a few? I also liked a franchi. He was ok with the hatsan years ago. I know hes got to try a few, maybe even a fitting, but hes had a few lessons and nobody picked up on a poorly fitting gun. Only when out doing cards did we realise how far out he was.

Think budget would be around the £400-£600 mark so secondhand. Hes got the beretta to trade and a lamber. The market is huge and im out of touch (not tonight baby, 12 roses for a tenner, get in there!) Im not a fan of semis anymore 😂 it dont feel right not reloading, so ive not played with any in 8 years minimum (guns now, dont wanna upset the lgbt shooters but im straight) 

He doesnt like o/u, shoots rather well with a sxs, wont entertain a pump (my first true love ♥️) hes only after a semi (oi oi calm down). 

Any suggestions welcome

Right my filthy mind is gonna settle down to a few more glasses of asdas cheapest as its hitting the spot and see if the misses is out the bath yet. 

Happy valentines!! 

No one can advise you with out see him and a gun.  This if beretta don’t fit and browning will is utter carp it may work out by chance but nothing more than luck is at play.   

Now witb a semi auto often you have shims to adjust the drop and cast so they can be set up to roughly suit most people.

So my advice go and see someone that understands gun fit and adjusting stock, and take the shins witb you.  

3 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

No one can advise you with out see him and a gun.  This if beretta don’t fit and browning will is utter carp it may work out by chance but nothing more than luck is at play.   

Now witb a semi auto often you have shims to adjust the drop and cast so they can be set up to roughly suit most people.

So my advice go and see someone that understands gun fit and adjusting stock, and take the shins witb you.  

Bang on, he could be bad with a SP and even worse with a 525! 

I tried the Sp, 525 and mk70 before buying and shot well with the SP and mk70. 

Endes up buying a silver pigeon and some well with it since :) 

If only it was as simple as the OP hopes.

Spend a few quid on a Coach, someone who can see where your Mate is going wrong and can make some sensible suggestions.

Far too many new shooters just expect to be able to get out and shoot.

Ill say it again;

Could any one ride a pushbike the first time they tried as a child?

99.9% will have had to LEARN to ride the pushbike with lots of help from an established rider.

Take 3 guns of any make . One will feel better than the other two . No one can say why . 

I dont know you personally but from years of gun fitting experience . Assuming you are not some very odd physical shape  I make 2 observations- 

1 Its you not the gun and you need to learn /adapt to the gun you like .

2 you have bad habits or that you have never learnt correct stance and mount .

Additionally , you can not fit a gun to a new or novice shooter other than  the over all parameters . 

You have to  learn , you can not take a gun out of its box and hit every thing and the more add ons it has the bigger the problem .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Take 3 guns of any make . One will feel better than the other two . No one can say why . 

I dont know you personally but from years of gun fitting experience . Assuming you are not some very odd physical shape  I make 2 observations- 

Additionally , you can not fit a gun to a new or novice shooter other than  the over all parameters . 

You have to  learn , you can not take a gun out of its box and hit every thing and the more add ons it has the bigger the problem .

This....absolutely. 

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Excellent post. Says it all.

Im ok, im 6'6'' neck like a giraffe and never had a gun fit.  My lop is 16" and arms like a orangutan. But i learnt, via practise, missing and thousands of carts later im ok but ill never be great. I dont care, i hit what i shoot at more than i miss. My mate on the other hand has money to chuck about on guns, and blames them for his misses. Hes completely lost all faith in the beretta as he wont adapt to it. If it was me, id shim it and mount for hours getting that right. But i doubt he will, and hes got his first kid on the way and is stressed and losing time to go shopping

Edited by strimmer_13

21 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Im ok, im 6'6'' neck like a giraffe and never had a gun fit.  My lop is 16" and arms like a orangutan. But i learnt, via practise, missing and thousands of carts later im ok but ill never be great. I dont care, i hit what i shoot at more than i miss. My mate on the other hand has money to chuck about on guns, and blames them for his misses. Hes completely lost all faith in the beretta as he wont adapt to it. If it was me, id shim it and mount for hours getting that right. But i doubt he will, and hes got his first kid on the way and is stressed and losing time to go shopping

My sympathies , I have extended stock for guys like you and yes you will have problems if the stock is not custom built but as you say you adapt .

I did have a customer once who had a problem with getting a gun to fit . The problem was he was convinced he had a problem . You could spend a hour with him , alter his stock and all would be fine , but a week or so later he had convinced himself that as he was missing birds the gun did not fit . Once that thought comes to mind every miss or bad shot MUST be the gun .

No matter where he went or who he saw or what he was told the man was sure it was down to the gun not fitting . 

In the end I suggested he took up golf .

49 minutes ago, Gunman said:

My sympathies , I have extended stock for guys like you and yes you will have problems if the stock is not custom built but as you say you adapt .

I did have a customer once who had a problem with getting a gun to fit . The problem was he was convinced he had a problem . You could spend a hour with him , alter his stock and all would be fine , but a week or so later he had convinced himself that as he was missing birds the gun did not fit . Once that thought comes to mind every miss or bad shot MUST be the gun .

No matter where he went or who he saw or what he was told the man was sure it was down to the gun not fitting . 

In the end I suggested he took up golf .

Oh forgot to add that hes gone through all the chokes as well and blamed them. 

Well ill take him shopping next weekend and handle a load. Get as near a fit as possible then suggest getting a fitting and more lessons