What am I hearing?

SO3isme

We have taken on a couple of rescue German Shorthaired Pointers which for various reasons has led me to be walking in nearby fields at night.

I regularly hear a bird calling in the dark and wonder if the Pigeon Watch crew can suggest what it is. The habitat is open meadow close to an airfield with heather common nearby. There's a stream and a couple of bits of still water. The call is more of a squawk than anything. There seems to be a small number of these birds in the area. They seem to be possibly roosting on the ground as I think I have heard them take off having been disturbed by the dogs. They are not Tawny Owls, but the call could be a bird of prey. I guess that they are nocturnal to some degree as they seem to be calling in the pitch darkness. I am familiar with the common birds in the area but this has me stumped. What am I hearing? 

beginning to think it might be a penguin on the basis that I still can't work it out. The suggestions are close but I'm not convinced on any of them. The mystery remains unsolved. I will try to record it on my phone, but it aint gonna be easy.

I have listened to the various recordings on the internet and Woodcock seems close. They are not at all common in the area but they are fairly secretive I guess. Would they be on the ground at night?