What am I hearing?

SO3isme

1 hour ago, SO3isme said:

beginning to think it might be a penguin on the basis that I still can't work it out. The suggestions are close but I'm not convinced on any of them. The mystery remains unsolved. I will try to record it on my phone, but it aint gonna be easy.

I have listened to the various recordings on the internet and Woodcock seems close. They are not at all common in the area but they are fairly secretive I guess. Would they be on the ground at night?

They would be feeding on invertebrates at night,  on the open pasture 

Woodcock would be nice, but the rasp in the call is not there in the sound I'm hearing. Oddly, I have not seen a Moorhen in the area. It would be good habitat for them. Call is not right for a Moorhen though. The only owls that I've seen/heard in the area are Tawny and Barn. It's defo not Tawny and not really right for Barn Owl. 

I am now 90% they are Woodcock - which is nice. We put up two again tonight. Could not see anything despite the moonlight, but I did hear a bit of a rasp in one of the calls.

They take off with a fast audible wing beat. It makes a lot of sense that they are feeding in the grass that is very wet at the moment. Thanks to all - especially the Woodcock suggestions.

No penguins!

On 15/02/2019 at 21:05, SO3isme said:

I am now 90% they are Woodcock - which is nice. We put up two again tonight. Could not see anything despite the moonlight, but I did hear a bit of a rasp in one of the calls.

They take off with a fast audible wing beat. It makes a lot of sense that they are feeding in the grass that is very wet at the moment. Thanks to all - especially the Woodcock suggestions.

No penguins!

Have you looked up the various snipe calls as well as woodcock? 

From your description I'd still say they're snipe you're hearing. 

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:45, JDog said:

Golden plover.

My thought too, I've seen and heard a few recently on open farmland.

This site has the audio for some species

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/golden-plover/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/snipe/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/woodcock/

Edited by martinj

13 hours ago, SO3isme said:

I can't find a Snipe recording to match. The behaviour and habitat seem to match Woodcock better than Snipe. Agreed Snipe are a possibility. Thanks for the thought.

From your description of the habitat, I'd say it's just as likely, if not more so, to be a snipe. They seem to accept a wider variety of habitat and put up with a bit more disturbance than woodcock. 

Ok. I am happy to accept that they could be Snipe. I am not sure how I will ever be certain - which is a bit annoying. 

I have not been able to find a recording that is a good match for what I am hearing. The best match is for a Woodcock recording.

Maybe I will get sight of one at dusk as the days get longer, assuming that they stick around.