Yet another scam!

Pushkin

I've just had a call from a well spoken gentleman who introduced himself as Mike Williams. Claiming to be from the Microsoft licensing Department. It is - according to him, regarding my Windows license that he is going to cancel due to the amount of hacking that is going on through my computer. I was totally amazed that in this day and age he would be able to do this and told him so. He explained that as he was licensed by Microsoft he could do so.  After a bit of conversation he gave me a contact number that I could call to confirm he was who he said and that it was a genuine phone call and not one of those scams you hear about. I thanked him for this and then asked him why - in this day and age, if he had my license number then surely he would have access to my e-mail address also and why not contact me in that way.?  After some bluster he did not convince me and was told he was talking rubbish and to go away in short sharp copulating jerks.  So ended the call.  I could have kept him going to find out what was to happen next but my time is more precious to me.  Anyone else had this one?

Take care out there folks😎

Pushkin:good:

Had a very similar call last week saying they had scanned my system and that it was compromised. I asked the friendly gent to confirm my IP address so that I could verify his comments and he instantly rattled off a valid sounding IP address. When I pointed out that it wasn't my IP he put the phone down without another word.

My late mother-in-law got one of these calls - "We scanned your computer and it's loaded with viruses and malware"
After 20 minutes of "oh that's awful" "what should I do" "could you help me" "how much will it cost" she finally got to "I don't have a computer, does that make any difference?"

click, brrrrrrrr

We used to get loads on our old number along with debt collection companies, credit cards amongst others. 

If it was a woman Our sole aim in the end was to see how long we could talk proper filth to them and keep them going, one woman from the offshore  department put up with some questioning and stuff that would make a professional lady of company blush as we were getting our credit card number for her!

with the blokes we would say our mum wasn’t in but we could help as we learned computers at school but were not very good as we were too little to use them All the time. That would guarantee 15 mins of a scammer slowly loosing the will to live. 

Edited by ph5172

I have received similar calls from people purportedly from Microsoft saying my computer was not running a legitimate Microsoft operating system and unless I could provide a valid license number my computer would be shut down. I could, of course, buy a license from them over the phone using my credit card. I let them waffle on before casually asking if the new Microsoft licence will be valid for my Chrome netbook. They terminate the call immediately.

I avoid these calls by not answering my landline if the screen shows a number not in my directory. If a caller not in the directory is genuine they can leave a message. If not then as soon as the answerphone message kicks in tha caller rings off. And, if curiosity gets the better of you, you can always try to return the call only to find the number is not recognised!! Surprise surprise.

Problem is, nuisance calls have now started on  my and Mrs B's mobiles. "Like to talk about your accident". We both reply which accident? The one at xxx or the one at yyy or the one at zzz? They ring off. We block the Number. They change the No but they key is the screen shows the call is from Leeds. So we don't answer and block the new number. Hopefully over time they will run out of numbers.