THE FIRST DISOLVABLE AND BIODEGRADEABLE WAD

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Some landowners apparently... in time just about everyone that would prefer to see less plastic laying around

In time yes I agree, but right now the majority of what I see and hear is coming from shooters themselves, yet I see or hear none of them castigating micro-fleece clothing which is a far far greater problem.

I would prefer to see less plastic lying around too, but shotgun cartridges and wads are like a snowball sitting on top of an iceberg in the scale of the problem.

29 minutes ago, grrclark said:

In time yes I agree, but right now the majority of what I see and hear is coming from shooters themselves, yet I see or hear none of them castigating micro-fleece clothing which is a far far greater problem.

I would prefer to see less plastic lying around too, but shotgun cartridges and wads are like a snowball sitting on top of an iceberg in the scale of the problem.

Go and walk around your killing area if you have had a good day on clover or spring rape using plastic wads.

I agree that plastic wads left on the ground after a good day on pigeons or crows is definitely not good for the farmer to see or anyone else for that matter.If degradable wads are the way forward it can only be good.Go for a walk on a popular wildfowling area at the high tide mark and see how many wads you can pick up.They ban toxic shot and we fire  and we fire over an inch of plastic out onto the foreshore.???

30 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Absolutely, micro fibres entering into the ocean via our washing machines, is another huge problem consumers and manufacturers must face. [ Even natural products are responsible for many environmental problems ]. As i pointed out in another thread we are shipping waste plastics across the world in the name of re-cycling. It also makes me cringe when i hear people say they are saving the planet by using the supermarket shopping bag twice, Single use plastic in the shape of a soft drink bottle or shotgun cartridge/wad isnt helpful i suppose. For me the best people to instigate a move away from plastic in the field are shooters  [better than antis at least]  

I have openly admitted using plastic wads but have decided to change when i work out some non toxic loads, anyway as you say a snowball on an iceberg,.........each to their own etc.:yes:

I knew b&p and Gualandi are working on solutions with additives added to the polymer compound but this seems a very good solution although it comes at a high price. Time and testing will tell what the ballistic results will be for the homeloader, but is a step forward to the annoying problem of wads on the foreshore. Today I was out for my last day out on the foreshore and whilst there was nothing about (possible due to the moon being very bright last night) collected 11 wads and 4 shells. 

Great move forwards for Eley, its good to see the shooting industry using innovation before they are pushed too.  I agree there are bigger problems with regards to environmental problems however if all industries do there bit it will be reduced.

I will definetly give them a go and if they perform well, i will keep using them.

I wonder if they will have produced wildfowling loads ready for the next season, i do hope so.

Edited by Terry2016

59 minutes ago, old'un said:

Go and walk around your killing area if you have had a good day on clover or spring rape using plastic wads.

I don't disagree that it looks unsightly, but within that same field it is highly likely there will have been tons of polymer introduced to the soil as part of ground conditioning in which case the few kg's of wads are inconsequential, albeit unsightly.

As an example if farmers use organic waste as a fertiliser that is pretty much all stabilised by the addition of polymer, either as a fine powder or in held in solution.  To improve drainage on heavy soils the ground is aggregated with polymers, likewise in very light soils the ground is aggregated with polymer to improve moisture retention and reduce windblown soil loss.

I am not particularly advocating the merits of plastic wads, but I am suggesting that if there is genuine desire to make a difference then chipping away on the extreme periphery is not where a difference is going to be found.

30 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Absolutely, micro fibres entering into the ocean via our washing machines, is another huge problem consumers and manufacturers must face. [ Even natural products are responsible for many environmental problems ]. As i pointed out in another thread we are shipping waste plastics across the world in the name of re-cycling. It also makes me cringe when i hear people say they are saving the planet by using the supermarket shopping bag twice, Single use plastic in the shape of a soft drink bottle or shotgun cartridge/wad isnt helpful i suppose. For me the best people to instigate a move away from plastic in the field are shooters  [better than antis at least]  

I have openly admitted using plastic wads but have decided to change when i work out some non toxic loads, anyway as you say a snowball on an iceberg,.........each to their own etc.:yes:

Indeed, if folks take comfort in their own actions then more power to their elbow and I would never seek to stop them, but i don't support the shouts for an overall ban just because it suits the individual. 

I am no way an advocate of a ban on lead or plastic wads, I use both myself, but I have over the years had a few farmers raise concern of plastic wads on their fields, especially live stock farmers.

I have mentioned in an earlier post about the possibility of degradable wads being used to force us to go down the “green” route, I still believe it possible in the near future, they could argue that there is no reason for us to continue using lead or plastic wads in shotgun cartridges when we can use steel and degradable wads thus eliminating two evils as they see it, they could even start an online petition to get the subject debated.

21 hours ago, grrclark said:

Indeed, if folks take comfort in their own actions then more power to their elbow and I would never seek to stop them, but i don't support the shouts for an overall ban just because it suits the individual. 

Totally agree. You put forward some good arguments.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2019 at 11:12, Vince Green said:

Just one small error in the advert. It says that in Britain it is illegal to use lead over open stretches of water, I don't believe that to be true. I believe the lead ban is specific to quarry species not geographical location.

Britain would encompass Scotland and also it is illegal to use lead over water in England if it is a designated SSSI

This is a great innovation and it will be even better if they sell it to others to use. 

Happy to do my bit even if it's only a small contribution. You don't eat an elephant in a single bite. I will not use plas wads but it's disappointing to see that some of the fibre wads are barely better than the plas. My love of shooting comes from my interest in the countryside and happy to do what I can where i can. 

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:46, islandgun said:

I have openly admitted using plastic wads but have decided to change when i work out some non toxic loads, anyway as you say a snowball on an iceberg,.........each to their own etc.

Micro fibres entering the ocean via washing machines? What am I missing?

the massive pollution to the micro organisms that feed the oceans!

The hypocrites wearing schoffel fleeces requesting we ban plas wads!

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/19/17800654/clothes-plastic-pollution-polyester-washing-machine?fbclid=IwAR077pMYbcvc7TRiH-7irtT7gBexAitYoQLH2OAZ5fSng_fOhYJjRZ3TAZ8

Edited by Perazzishot
to insert link

1 hour ago, motty said:

Micro fibres entering the ocean via washing machines? What am I missing?

Fleeces etc are made from nylon, (plastic) micro fibres, some of which come out in the wash. Also many cleaning products contain micro plastic balls (especially facial scrubs) . These eventually  enter the oceans where small micro organisms eat them, which are then eaten by larger ones and eventually build up in fish, which are eaten by us!

8 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Fleeces etc are made from nylon, (plastic) micro fibres, some of which come out in the wash. Also many cleaning products contain micro plastic balls (especially facial scrubs) . These eventually  enter the oceans where small micro organisms eat them, which are then eaten by larger ones and eventually build up in fish, which are eaten by us!

Could you explain the process of these fibres getting from the washing machine to the ocean.

Edit - don't bother, I have looked it up. Ah well, probably best we can't see it!

Edited by motty

Guest cookoff013
On 16/02/2019 at 11:12, Vince Green said:

Just one small error in the advert. It says that in Britain it is illegal to use lead over open stretches of water, I don't believe that to be true. I believe the lead ban is specific to quarry species not geographical location.

body of water below spring tidemark?