22lr and Horses

Major Sharpe

One of my permissions has a Riding Stable based on it, and rabbits are happily digging holes and scrapes everywhere. The landowner's wife has asked if I will pay attention to the training area, paddocks and around the stables, and reduce the rabbit population.

Recently I have got my FAC and have both a .17hmr and a .22lr. Mostly I am shooting out in the open fields some distance from anyone and the hmr is proving very useful indeed. My question is, will I get away with using the .22lr around the stables, paddocks etc or will it be too noisy? It doesn't seem very noisy but then I might be used to it.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Major Sharpe said:

One of my permissions has a Riding Stable based on it, and rabbits are happily digging holes and scrapes everywhere. The landowner's wife has asked if I will pay attention to the training area, paddocks and around the stables, and reduce the rabbit population.

Recently I have got my FAC and have both a .17hmr and a .22lr. Mostly I am shooting out in the open fields some distance from anyone and the hmr is proving very useful indeed. My question is, will I get away with using the .22lr around the stables, paddocks etc or will it be too noisy? It doesn't seem very noisy but then I might be used to it.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Using a .22LR with subsonic ammunition and a moderator will make it very quiet. You'll probably hear more noise when the bullet strikes the rabbit. I use mine regulary within 10 mtrs of stables.

I've been asked to do the same as you around horses. Using a moderated 223 in the field with horses, they couldn't care less. They were even coming up and sniffing my boots. 

The next time they were in the stable and they went nuts. We were asked not to go again!

They are such unpredictable beasts that you have to take each situation individually. I would think that a 22lr would be OK, but I'd prefer it if the horses could see where the noise was coming from.

Edited by chrisv
Spelling

Would not of thought there would be a noise issue with the 22lr, I shoot a few rabbits in some large gardens but I use an air rifle, I can usually get within range as they are used to movement and people.

Just to add .22LR do have tendency to ricochet, even off wet grass, but I guess you already know this.

Edited by old'un

18 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Using a .22LR with subsonic ammunition and a moderator will make it very quiet. You'll probably hear more noise when the bullet strikes the rabbit. I use mine regulary within 10 mtrs of stables.

It is a CZ 452 .22lr fitted with a Parker Hale mod. I want to use because of the range it will give me over an air rifle.

33 minutes ago, chrisv said:

I've been asked to do the same as you around horses. Using a moderated 223 in the field with horses, they couldn't care less. They were even coming up and sniffing my boots. 

The next time they were in the stable and they went nuts. We were asked not to go again!

They are such unpredictable beasts that you have to take each situation individually. I would think that a 22lr would be OK, but I'd prefer it if the horses could see where the noise was coming from.

Yes all noted, thank you.

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

Would not of thought there would be a noise issue with the 22lr, I shoot a few rabbits in some large gardens but I use an air rifle, I can usually get within range as they are used to movement and people.

Just to add .22LR do have tendency to ricochet, even off wet grass, but I guess you already know this.

Yes I am aware, and I will consider this when horses are loose. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i used to shoot round horses, you will be fine.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Then if range is your concern and you can get a good back stop, use the .22LR, as Steve said the sound from the bullet hitting the rabbit will be louder (subs) than the gun report.

What sort of range are you shooting at?

When I used an air rifle last year they were sitting out at 60 yards plus, so I spent a lot of time trying to get closer. I did get a good few, but the .22lr would make the job easier.

30 minutes ago, Major Sharpe said:

It is a CZ 452 .22lr fitted with a Parker Hale mod. I want to use because of the range it will give me over an air rifle.

I have a CZ 455 with a sound moderator...gives a slight metallic ring but really very quiet...I found my local gun shop had several preowned moderators all for very reasonable prices so no need to break the bank

18 minutes ago, Will@don said:

I have a CZ 455 with a sound moderator...gives a slight metallic ring but really very quiet...I found my local gun shop had several preowned moderators all for very reasonable prices so no need to break the bank

The Parker Hale mod seems to work quite well, but I just couldn't make up my mind if I was just used to the noise. I'm now thinking that the .22lr is worth trying

5 minutes ago, Will@don said:

would be interested to hear how you get on and if the gigi's react...

I will report back.

I have to convince the landowners wife first. As I used an air rifle last time, I'm sure she will be expecting me to do the same thing, but I really want to give the .22 a go if I can get away with it.

53 minutes ago, old'un said:

Strange things horses, if they can see you they seem fine but if you are hiding behind something they get very spooky.  

It definitely knew something was up 

39 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Perhaps they hear differently to us ?😙😙

the noise is moderated at our level of hearing not the horses 

personaly found more of a problem with the owner than the horses 😟

This was my thinking, I wondered if it could hear the bullet in flight, they do have big old ears. 

The OP should try it and see, even if there is a problem they may get used to it over time or revert to the air rifle

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It definitely knew something was up 

This was my thinking, I wondered if it could hear the bullet in flight, they do have big old ears. 

The OP should try it and see, even if there is a problem they may get used to it over time or revert to the air rifle

Found them less bothersome with a unmoderated 22 

however it’s the damage they do whilst getting used to it that’s the problem 🤔

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Found them less bothersome with a unmoderated 22 

however it’s the damage they do whilst getting used to it that’s the problem 🤔

Your first point would back up the theory of hearing the bullet in flight... probably..:/

Totally agree with your second point