22lr and Horses

Major Sharpe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Dekers said:

You will not get much quieter than a .22lr with subs and moderator!

Horses are unpredictable, some ignore everything and others bolt if you cough.591a.jpg.7f84c7ba5e9003de7654648208ccf84b.jpg592a.jpg.06f15e071b5a3e045c4a7a129032c166.jpg593a.jpg.860f0919f915f9e288f70e6ee4ff5b48.jpg594a.jpg.ffe5cee5bc05803f1029a337633fa372.jpg

These just wanted a good sniff! :good:

That’s one lovely horse. My daughter would love that one, and the grey behind to that matter lol

You could try and desensitize the horses over a few weeks and see how it goes before going out at night, it may help. 

Horses will spook and bolt at the slightest thing, one recently on an estate her me bolted for no apparent reason, smashed into post and rail fencing smashing the top rail, that punctured it's chest and went through to the opposite side through both lungs. It was still alive hours after standing in the field with the broken fence embedded into its chest. Vet was called and put to sleep on the vets arrival. A horrific injury and no idea what could have spooked the horse. They are flighty animals by nature, just be careful.

And just for an experiment for all you who say you can't hear 22 lr bullets, get an adult to fire one in your direction out in a filed at about 50-70 yards away. 

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

You could try and desensitize the horses over a few weeks and see how it goes before going out at night, it may help. 

Horses will spook and bolt at the slightest thing, one recently on an estate her me bolted for no apparent reason, smashed into post and rail fencing smashing the top rail, that punctured it's chest and went through to the opposite side through both lungs. It was still alive hours after standing in the field with the broken fence embedded into its chest. Vet was called and put to sleep on the vets arrival. A horrific injury and no idea what could have spooked the horse. They are flighty animals by nature, just be careful.

And just for an experiment for all you who say you can't hear 22 lr bullets, get an adult to fire one in your direction out in a filed at about 50-70 yards away. 

This happened to me. One evening i was waiting in the dunes waiting for the rabbits to emerge and two strangers turned up and took a shot with a 22 at a rabbit i hadnt seen, Im not sure if it was a ricochet or  normal but it was loud humming/ whistling sound. !  ......I left just after

Assume you have an open license or the ground is cleared is my first question??

I shoot occasionally in my wood which bounds on fields with some expensive brood mares and young foals. I can fire two or three shots to zero and they don't blink. I drive down the ride on my Kubota mower and they bolt in all directions ..... the next day they will do the opposite, so what has been said is true , they are animals of flight and have an inbuilt reaction to flee from anything they percieve as about to eat them.    Not knowing the ground, then what I would look at is finding the most lucrative spot and put up a high seat covering this area.  This will make shooting the rim fire that much safer.   Have a chat with the owner and perhaps arrange for the horses to be stabled for a c.ouple of hours when your there

23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Assume you have an open license or the ground is cleared is my first question??

I shoot occasionally in my wood which bounds on fields with some expensive brood mares and young foals. I can fire two or three shots to zero and they don't blink. I drive down the ride on my Kubota mower and they bolt in all directions ..... the next day they will do the opposite, so what has been said is true , they are animals of flight and have an inbuilt reaction to flee from anything they percieve as about to eat them.    Not knowing the ground, then what I would look at is finding the most lucrative spot and put up a high seat covering this area.  This will make shooting the rim fire that much safer.   Have a chat with the owner and perhaps arrange for the horses to be stabled for a c.ouple of hours when your there

This land is part of my permission and is cleared, so no issues with that. I like the high seat idea, cheers.

Anyone who knows Haimwood sporting would have seen, up until the last 18 months or so, a large number of different horses right next door to the shooting range. On the whole they never cared about the shooting at all. And sundays were noisy old days at Haimwood. Even when I rode past the shooting ground they never really bothered. And I had some right horrible lunatics that probably needed to be on the sharp end of a shotgun! It’s mainly the owners that are the problem. 

Edited by Benthejockey

I use the hmr all the time in the same field but the owner shoots too. Never had a problem but I am shooting the other way. 

I walk on the one farm and they kick off just seeing it. 

As dougy said . A 22lr isn’t to quiet when it’s flying at you . I had a ricochet fly directly at me and it was so loud with the wizz. Hit the ground next to me 😮 brown pants moments. Hit a stone I think after the bunny was hit. I’m guessing it deflected it so be careful 

I spoke to the landowner this afternoon and he and his wife have no issue with the .22lr being used around the stables and on the paddocks, as he uses a shotgun out there from time to time, and the horses don't react to that noise.

Also they have now asked that try to reduce the rabbits in the gardens as well. I am very aware that this round can ricochet so will be careful.

If this works out, I might be putting a BSA Scorpion and filling cylinder on the selling thread,

Thank you all for your assistance.

37 minutes ago, Major Sharpe said:

I spoke to the landowner this afternoon and he and his wife have no issue with the .22lr being used around the stables and on the paddocks, as he uses a shotgun out there from time to time, and the horses don't react to that noise.

Also they have now asked that try to reduce the rabbits in the gardens as well. I am very aware that this round can ricochet so will be careful.

If this works out, I might be putting a BSA Scorpion and filling cylinder on the selling thread,

Thank you all for your assistance.

Don’t do that, its **** law that in the future you will need it, wouldn’t be without mine.

A .22 rimmy firing sub-sonics through a good moderator usually doesn't spook the gee-gees, but if you feel you'd like to go even quieter, look at getting yourself some .22 shorts like the Dynamit Nobel Z-Lang ammo. It's no good in semi-autos as it lacks the punch to cycle the action, and you'll need to check your zero and allow a little more elevation for those longer shots (learn your new trajectory ;) ) but that stuff is as quiet as a quiet thing that's trying to be quiet whilst providing the performance of a good FAC air rifle or better.

https://rws-munition.de/en/rws-sportshooting-area/rws-sport-ammunition/rws-rimfire-cartridges-for-sport-shooters/Product/show/rws-z-lang.html#!0/278/52

I shot bunnies on the paddocks of a couple of very posh stud farms for years and some of those top-end Ferrari race horses are as skittish as a paranoid schizophrenic on speed, but I never had any problems with them spooking at the shot with Z-Langs. Mind you, if they suddenly noticed me emerge from behind a shed or from a ditch they often acted like I'd whalloped them with a electrified carpet beater :lol: Ruddy things are mad. One end bites and t'other end kicks.

On 15/02/2019 at 15:25, chrisv said:

I've been asked to do the same as you around horses. Using a moderated 223 in the field with horses, they couldn't care less. They were even coming up and sniffing my boots. 

The next time they were in the stable and they went nuts. We were asked not to go again!

They are such unpredictable beasts that you have to take each situation individually. I would think that a 22lr would be OK, but I'd prefer it if the horses could see where the noise was coming from.

You will find they will react worse in the stable. As they cant see what madethe noise or where it came from. Also will harm themselves in stable so owners do get a bit funny if you spook them, vet bills are not small for them

As I said earlier....

Horses are unpredictable, some ignore everything and others bolt if you cough.

Potentially there is a considerable difference from site to site as well.

Same with these...…     they were not to happy last night with every shot, but soon came back to look....they are quite young bulls who think they are hard, they made a few charges at me yesterday but as soon as I turned round and went Booooohhh they turned and ran off!

065a.jpg.5fb87fb5553fe88b781433e0accf2db2.jpg