Gun Tag 'chip'

steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

As a matter of interest why, what are the pros and cons, perhaps I've missed something, but personally I believe any benefit is marginal!

Cheers

I believe so as well

The one con i see will be the insurance companies ( when they see this ) jumping on the band wagon with some insisting they  have to be chipped to warrant cover or pay a higher premium

I struggle to see the value in this tag.  The gun already has a unique identifying mark in the serial number so another unique identifying mark adds nothing at all.  The ability to read that by an RF scan is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.  Chipping dogs or other items with non unique identifiable references is fine.

Being the cynic that I am I can also see a potential for abuse of this sort of technology if it became widespread in it's adoption.  Say mandatory chipping was introduced so the police could scan any firearm at any point they choose for whichever reason they choose, which of course in theory matters not a jot if you are doing nothing untoward, but it would simply invite further burden onto those that are already law abiding and have already had to jump through hoops to establish that.

I supose where this idea would fit in is when or if a stolen gun turns up in a post office job or found somewhere the police can identify it even if the numbers have gone .this way they can turn round and say ahh thats bobs shotgun from sutch n sutch a place  and by knowing where the gun came from means they can cross that perticular fierarm of the missing list . Unfortunatly for the shooting comunity i think this sort of thing wont help us and is very unlikley the police would return ur spanish boxlock with no numbers or with custom 13" barrels .it would more likely  just be used against us if one goes missing im shure the media would love to say legal owned gun turns up at murder location blah blah .its a shame they dont fit theas as standard to all the russian hand guns that are coming through our open border in the back of cars .however i doubt u would here that on tv . But as said above in one of the posts criminals learn quick and would soon get rid of the tag .the only real way of doing something to find ur gun if it went missing is to have some sort of tracker in the stock to help police locate it .but even then the criminals will just buy the softwhere off ebay and then drive round tracking guns and know exactly where to look   .

Remember lose lips sink ships.

Dont advertise u have guns  and hopfuly  they wont get robed and u wont need the chip