20 bore for the shore

grahamch

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Am debating getting a 20 for game and foreshore duck. 

Anyone recommend any decent non lead loads? All I can find is expensive bismuth and 24g steel loads. 

Guess am looking for heavier steel loads or ITM/X if its still around. 

Hi Graham as you are probably aware I've for years shot a 20ga . Only last week i shot several foreshore Pink's but you really have to reload as factory non toxic is not really suitable for foreshore use as it's normally light loads and small shot Kent do/did load a 3" 32g Tungsten Matrix which killed me plenty of Geese but expensive .

Personally i load 2-3/4" Steel 7/8oz 3 for Duck/Geese 2-3/4" 1oz PWS HW13 and lately TSS just for foreshore Geese and 3" Steel 1oz B's 2's and 3's just for Geese put in the right place you'd be pleasantly surprised just how far an cleanly a 20ga will kill Foreshore Geese if i can be of any help don't hesitate to ask

I have a 20 bore 3 inch auto i use on shore quite often, as said reloading is the way to go as bought ITM Bismuth and such like is not cheap.

I Load 70mm 22 gram 3s steel as a general duck load its good for geese close in with mod choke but you need a bit more choke and shoot them in the front end to be effective if ranges are typical forshore ranges. I load a Bismuth BB load in a RTo 3 inch fiocchi case this i buffer and with a carlsons choke i have its capable of surprising a few 12 bore shooters if i do my part well enough.

I load copper and Power shot too the powershot seemed to give good results and it patterend best with a mod choke, so is ideal if you want to decoy ducks but have the option of passing geese.

Think you can do well with a 20 on the shore, but i see it as a must to do your level best to work out suitable loads pattern test and play with chokes and load details to get the most from your gun/ loads.

I think if you just use factory loads as stated they are not ideal in shot size and load, if you were to rely on such ammo you will be letting lots of chances slip away due to having to restrain your chances due to the ammo. But if you reload or have money to buy heavier non tox you can hold your own quite well on the shore in a \worked up gun and load.

1 hour ago, Kraai said:

Overhere in belgium whe have b&p magnum steel ,rio magnum steel and mary arm magnum steel these are 28gr steel in cal 20.

👍 Whilst I'm more than happy with my Homeloads it does sicken me what 20ga Non Toxic is readily available over the Water especially USA 

On 18/02/2019 at 02:16, figgy said:

Grahamch a Lee Loadall will load 20 bore and are cheap to buy. Get good results off them too.

This is the way to go, its a lot to shell out on a PW and MEC are not cheap new its a good way to go with the loadall and can practically pay for itself in a\ short time in 20ga. Give you time should you so wish to buy a PW / Mec etc in the future but you might just decide to stick with the Lee they work good.