Tough day

shawn9914

Went out today was set up by 1st light and stayed all day till 4.45pm nice wind from behind, I have watched these fields and the pigeons have been on them and the damage is plain to see but they were not there today only good thing is the birds I did shoot decoyed into my pattern very well with no hesitation.

Hardly saw a bird all day nearly 10 hrs in the hide and only 5 birds I went 3 hrs at one point around lunch without seeing a pigeon anywhere but hey ho at least when I got home the wife had washed her car cleaned the leaves up and mowed the lawn so not all bad 

Screenshot_20190216-174343_Gallery.jpg

Also forgot to say opened the crop of 3 birds 2 had minimal amounts of rape in them and one had what looked like clover leaves perfect whole very small leaves would this be clover ????

None of the birds had much in there crop quite empty to be honest why would this be birds were shot at different times throughout the day 

1 minute ago, figgy said:

You wait till she decides what your punishment is. 😀

Now 10 hours for five birds is dedication, did you have a good book and comfy chair.

Had a comfy chair and 4g on my phone so browsed eBay a little but mainly just enjoyed being outside for the day 

I did slightly better,  3 1/2 hours under some 'sitty'  trees, 12 shots, 8 down picked 6, lost 2 in carrots. Sat in shirt sleeves, out of the wind. I did see a couple of thousand pigeons during the afternoon though  !  Very pleasant.

In answer to your question, it could well be clover. I saw about 30 on a grass field last week, I suspect they were eating clover.  I have had some big bags on grass fields after the first cut of hay.

Edited by Westley

15 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Also forgot to say opened the crop of 3 birds 2 had minimal amounts of rape in them and one had what looked like clover leaves perfect whole very small leaves would this be clover ????

None of the birds had much in there crop quite empty to be honest why would this be birds were shot at different times throughout the day 

Had a comfy chair and 4g on my phone so browsed eBay a little but mainly just enjoyed being outside for the day 

In my very dim and distant past i regularly shot pigeons over clover and remember the leaves from the crop were often a folded single leaf in perfect condition. I also had days like yours, still better to be sat outside watching the natural world than cleaning cars

fwa2014716114520.jpg.273009ec6687e7135cc8310c0c2d39f9.jpg

Edited by islandgun

We have all been there , but the three hours without seeing a pigeon would have been to much for me I am afraid , if there is a prize for dedication then you should be a strong contender .

I can fully understand why you stuck it out , maybe you have been working all the week and today was the only day you had the freedom to stay all day . 

I take it you were on rape ? , now the days are pulling out and the last week was very mild , the pigeons don't need to feed all day and it seem some can survive on eating a small amount of food , now clover is coming above ground , the first drilling's have started and game covers are flattened you will find pigeons are now less keen on rape , also the field I was on after dinner had just had some feed spun over it , weather it have any effect on the taste for a pigeon I cannot say .

GOOD LUCK on your next visit .