My favorite time of year

Walker570

February into March is my favorite time of year as nature starts to waken from winter. The snowdrops this year in my area have been very sepecial his year and the aconites have flourished.

To be honest I only put this up for Old Farrier as he is big into snowdrops. Looking around the wood, hazels are starting to show signs of spring, the tiny purple floers where the nuts will eventually emerge are showing,  wild daffodils pushing through, even blue bells starting to push up new growth.  All the birds are starting to feel frisky, woodpigeons cooing, blue tits checking nest sites and cock pheasants getting very aggresive and already chasing the hens who at the moment give the impresion of having a headache.

008.jpg

009.jpg

013.jpg

Edited by Walker570

I know what you mean, so lovely seeing life begin again. Doesn't matter how many years one has seen it before, every new year is special. Not seen many flowers or shoots yet, but many birds are getting that spring fever. When I was young, it was still ok to pick wild flowers, my sister and I knew all the best places for snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils, cowslips and oxslips, even wild iris and a few others. We would always come home with bunches for mum or nan. Simpler times. Sadly gone for good.........

I like every month of the year , although some months I like more than others , if I had to pick my first and last choice it would be May as my first , it's when the countryside look fresh and clean with nice and warm days , and my last month would be November when the days are short and everything look dreary , the only good thing about Nov is the game season is in full swing and Christmas is just around the corner . 

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

February into March is my favorite time of year as nature starts to waken from winter. The snowdrops this year in my area have been very sepecial his year and the aconites have flourished.

To be honest I only put this up for Old Farrier as he is big into snowdrops. Looking around the wood, hazels are starting to show signs of spring, the tiny purple floers where the nuts will eventually emerge are showing,  wild daffodils pushing through, even blue bells starting to push up new growth.  All the birds are starting to feel frisky, woodpigeons cooing, blue tits checking nest sites and cock pheasants getting very aggresive and already chasing the hens who at the moment give the impresion of having a headache.

You big old softy!:rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I think your right on this one. I’m only 37 and take life/ kids/ nature more seriously. 

I find people who have got a love of the countryside don't suffer as much from boredom and depression as the town folk do , every month of the year something is going on and the countryside is constantly changing , today the sun is out and the first signs of Spring is everywhere , get out and enjoy it and I bet a pound to a penny you wont regret it.

I worked in Australia for a year,  north in the winter with 30c,  south in the summer with 30c....perpetual summer gets boring TBH.  give me the seasons. Love early summer in a wood, with fresh leaves and bird song, summer on the coast boating and fishing, winter on the hill or marsh with dog and gun.. oh yeah and in front of a fire 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I find people who have got a love of the countryside don't suffer as much from boredom and depression as the town folk do , every month of the year something is going on and the countryside is constantly changing , today the sun is out and the first signs of Spring is everywhere , get out and enjoy it and I bet a pound to a penny you wont regret it.

100% plus.  It ain't a rehearsal.

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

I’ve already been in the garden checking my acorns today that my daughter planted. They’re a gift for the landowner and he loves the kids up there. 

After our own farming operation went west, for consecutive years I took on a hill lambing job in the Borders. The contract, if I remember correctly, ran for 6 weeks starting in early March and finishing towards the end of April. Spring comes late up on those tops, and for the first couple of weeks it was basically winter lambing...biting cold winds, occasional snow, that horrible cutting rain, hypothermic lambs...

But then the change to spring happens somewhere about the first week in April and two weeks after that it's practically summer. The turnaround is unbelievably fast. And for the last week, the job was glorious. The flock was pretty much all lambed; the wood on the walk (before the advent of ATVs) up to the open hill was in leaf; the hill itself was green between the heather, and with nothing much to do I could just wander, or sit out of the wind in front of a dyke in the sun talking to the dogs, listening to the curlews, watching the odd hare or whatever. Miles of country to myself, and the whole place with dew on it and alive with new life.

I live in warm climates now, and I really, really miss the Spring.

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve already been in the garden checking my acorns today that my daughter planted. They’re a gift for the landowner and he loves the kids up there. 

Now be careful. Tread with care and hopefully you will see them grow into fairly large trees :yay:

No, joking apart oaks do take time. I have some in my wood where I trod in some acorns from Herefordshire when I planted the ground up with poplars. They are now about 20ft high.

I also have a half dozen Red Oaks from acorns I brought back from Maine and they are about the same height.  I have some plastic covers you can have when you plant them out.

Been a great weekend up north, charity rugby event Saturday with 4 derby games and plenty of beer and banter

Today was nice again so out in the garden shredding followed by a walk in the woods and fields, can't complain when you see a sparrow hawk a few metres away and a kingfisher goes by while the kids are playing in the river.

4 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

If the weather man is to be believed it’s going to be 18+ degrees next weekend. So my Sunday will be spent harrowing. 

Yep, grounds drying out nicely.  Walked on some ground today where I had 20lbs of mud on both boots last week and could have worn my slippers this morning.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Now be careful. Tread with care and hopefully you will see them grow into fairly large trees :yay:

No, joking apart oaks do take time. I have some in my wood where I trod in some acorns from Herefordshire when I planted the ground up with poplars. They are now about 20ft high.

I also have a half dozen Red Oaks from acorns I brought back from Maine and they are about the same height.  I have some plastic covers you can have when you plant them out.

We gave him 24 last year at about 8” high. He has loads of tubes but thank you 👍

I guess in my life time they’ll be 20ft ??? Guess I’ve 30-40 years . It’s nice knowing they’ll be around long after I’ve gone for future generations. 

As I was told “we are just guardians for the next generation “

ps ... don’t worry about jokes lol I’m still laughing at myself :) 

Edited by team tractor

I love the changing seasons but have never enjoyed summer as much as the others.  I'm hoping that will change this year as I have taken on an allotment which should give me something other than work to focus on during those months.

In terms of favourite times though, the arrival of spring, the arrival of autumn, and autumn to winter are the ones for me.