Blocked barrel with felt wads

Woodbepigeonshooter

I was out today shooting pigeons over rape with a mate I was shooting a Browning Maxus using Eley 30g 6’s. As a pair of birds came in we agreed to take chosen birds but as I went to shoot I thought I had left my safety on as no recoil and the bird didn’t drop ( obviously an easy bird) Luckily the cartridge didn’t cycle properly so unloaded and had a quick look with a torch down the barrel and through chamber. The barrel was fully blocked by the fibre wads and took a fare old effort to push out with a bouncer rod to clear once the gun was stripped.

How common is this as I have never had it happen before . I have had the odd misfire will h a good strike but not anything to block the barrel...... scary!

I would say very rare occurrence these days and am trying hard to think of a recent example that didn't involve home loads or one of the lesser loaders  . There are several things it could be and I will hold my opinion . I would contact Eley ,keep the fired case and dont use any more of that box .

It is possible that you may have been unfortunate enough to have the one bad cartridge out of thousands . You may have a whole box or boxes .

One of the members at our club had exactly the same problem with Eley's a few years ago. He wasn't so careful and didn't check his barrels! The next shot burst the barrel, luckily no one was injured. He contacted Eley who didn't seem to care!!

Edit- fibre wad, clay load (not sure exactly which type)

Edited by silver pigeon69

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

I would say very rare occurrence these days and am trying hard to think of a recent example that didn't involve home loads or one of the lesser loaders  . There are several things it could be and I will hold my opinion . I would contact Eley ,keep the fired case and dont use any more of that box .

It is possible that you may have been unfortunate enough to have the one bad cartridge out of thousands . You may have a whole box or boxes .

Interesting you say that. I showed this to my friend who had a similar thing happen last week, he was also using the same cartridges aswell. Luckily he spotted the problem and switched to using his spare gun. 

Two friends of mine went clay shooting 6/7 years ago,long story short had a fibre wad stuck in the barrel, only noticed because of lack of recoil and the sound of the bang.On investigation it was very damp/wet powder in his cartridges, that were incorrectly stored cartridges. (In a cellar).

36 minutes ago, alastair0903 said:

Interesting you say that. I showed this to my friend who had a similar thing happen last week, he was also using the same cartridges aswell. Luckily he spotted the problem and switched to using his spare gun. 

I think I would have changed ammunition as well!:rolleyes:

In 45 years I have known it happen very occasionally - possibly 4 or 5 times.  It has never happened to me, but did happen to a relative I was standing with shooting clays (with my gun and cartridges).  It was VERY obvious as there was a pop rather than a bang and no recoil.  Can't remember what make of cartridge it was, but it would have been fibre wad as I don't use plastic (though I don't believe the wad makes a difference).  There was unburned powder around, so I don't know what went wrong?  Someone suggested possibly a card wad had got between the primer and powder?  I now carry a small folding rod in my bag https://www.brownells.co.uk/RAPID-ROD

which should be able to push the wad out.

ANY 'odd' discharge, light recoil, unusual sound should ALWAYS be followed up by checking the barrel is clear.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I have had this with an Eley 20g cartridge. Was shooting clays. Was obvious that the report was different. 

Shot was all gone but fibre wad was half way up the barrel and easy to push out. I only had the one box of cartridges and the rest were all fine.

We put it down to no powder.

13 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

RC took this very seriously and their conclusion after inspection was a 20 bore shell! I can't or won't argue but it makes no sense to me.

I would have thought the blow would have been bigger. The insurance were brilliant and have settled in full to replace my MK38!

IMG_3739.JPG

All’s well that ends well; could have been so much worse.

I’ve only experienced this once donkies years ago when clay shooting. I was using Gambore White Gold (?) certainly white something or other, and experienced a muffled detonation and on inspection found a fibre wad stuck halfway down the barrel. 

I remember remarking at the time that they were ‘dirty’ and  left a lot of unburnt powder in the barrel, and in hindsight am now wondering if I had stored the cartridges in unsuitable conditions such as the back of my vehicle throughout cold weather for example. 

Edited by Scully
Predictive text