What is an older Beretta?

hod

23 minutes ago, figgy said:

Dunks there has been too much talk over the years of outsourcing parts manufacturing, even among the trade.

Smoke and fire. 

Look at anything in modern manufacture and lots of parts are bought in.

I do understand that. However I can only repeat what the guy said in his E. mail.

There is a small number of posters on Shotgunworld who have 390/391 era semis which have "made in Turkey" stamped on the barrels. From the lengthy threads on the subject it appears that only a few Turkish made barrels exist and those might possibly have been aftermarket replacements.

My guess is that the rumours exist because Beretta Holdings has numerous smaller companies in the group such as Stoeger and some of those outsource to Turkey, Brazil, Mexico etc.

On 04/03/2019 at 00:19, figgy said:

My 682Gold E  was a nice gun but the threads in the barrels for chokes were both different diameters. One was tight and scraped the outside of chokes the other loose.

I had this exact issue with a 1st gen 686E (2006). At that time I didn't have digital calipers but I was unhappy with the build quality of the chokes anyway so I went down to Nigel Teague to buy some chokes and he measured the muzzles. The problem was the threads on one barrel were out of round by about 5 thou. He reckoned the threads would have been cut before the barrels were brazed together and the heat stress had slightly distorted the barrel. He didn't think it would be any problem shooting it and it wasn't but I did have a mate back then who bought a new 682 Gold E and the barrels didn't deliver the pattern to the same place. IOW the convergence was out and a Gurgle search revealed that it was far from unheard of with that particular model.