Rabbit numbers in your area?

pegasus bridge

I keep control of my sites so never vast numbers after initial visit or two.

Just the same, my feeling is there are generally a few less about.

We have to be realistic here, my job is Pest Control and the majority of Landowners of all sorts, and even the Government, want them greatly reduced or gone altogether.  For them this is good news, if you are after a bit of fun, perhaps not.

Frankly, I have no long term concerns for work, the rabbit survived myxomatosis when the UK population was allegedly reduced to circa 2% of numbers prior to its introduction and I rather suspect they will be back.     Rabbit numbers always fluctuate as well, with good and bad years all the time! 

:good:

Numbers seem to be quite healthy on one of my 2 permissions near Weston-Super-Mare; even saw a ‘black’ rabbit the other day.  Melanistic? 

Unfortunately boundary issues/public footpaths running alongside preclude walking up along most of the hedges with the shottie.  So back to the air rifle, I’ll start a separate thread on that so as not to drag this one off-topic.

Last year there were quite reasonable numbers in and around the woods I walk twice a day. This year so far, not one. Maybe a bit early for me to say they've gone but my dog has become very bored with nothing to chase except the occasional dopey pheasant! The local hares are more reclusive than the rabbits but I've not seen any of them recently either.

We are on the Essex/herts border and noticed a complete collapse in the rabbits in the last 12 months.  We would annually take 2000-2500 rabbits and this last year we took just over 200 and stopped going out . And at this very moment we've never seen so few . We've had rhd1 in this area since the since the 90s as sent a sample to defra who confirmed this . so it must be rhd2.  A friend in Wiltshire who has a 1000 acres says he has the same healthy population he has always had . ? So seems to be certain areas . Some fear it will be worse then when mixy first struck . 

Very few around Fife/central Scotland.
Can't remember the last time I saw a bunch on the verges at the side of the road in the headlights - used to be a pretty regular sight.

On the other hand I did see some very young ones in the park 2 mins from my house a few months ago - so maybe...

Here we are with a shortage of rabbits in many areas due to diseases and I see from this mornings news some people are thinking of reintroducing the golden eagle to upland parts of England and Wales, and think it will have no impact on domestic stock and ground nesting birds.  You could not make it up.:mad:

Edited by Yellow Bear

Well I saw one this morning, the first I've seen since August, and in exactly the same spot! Anyway decided to send my mad mongrel into the hedge to see if he could find a scent, (he's still very young) dog got very excited, and flushed a woodcock!! His first one, so I've no idea where the rabbit went but not disappointed!

Cheers 

Aled

On 17/02/2019 at 12:00, Major Sharpe said:

I have one permission where I have never seen a rabbit, and I have been shooting it for four years (corvids mostly. It's a sheep farm) just before Christmas, a big fat rabbit hopped out in front of me. I was so surprised, I just watched it.

Must have been the same rabbit that popped up my permission as its been the only one in 5 years, I just watched it to.

Saw a rabbit road kill today, first one in months.