Back on the Turnip's.

dead eye alan

Saturday back to the turnip field arrived at 7.45 hundreds of pigeons poring in to the field, as i opened the gate and drove in the field erupted in a sea of blue, pigeons circling around and dropping   straight back down a little further up. I watched in amazement as the line continued to add to the hundreds already their, this particular field is big around 40 acres and has a high hill in the middle with an old WW2 look out on the top. A quick call to the farmer got me permission to drive up to the look out and set up. On doing this all the birds vanished to the other side of the field or went of in large flocks in three different directions. It was windy with the direction from left to right, started with just 7 dead birds on cradles, had a steady hour and half with 12 birds in the bag, then it died i rejigged the set up several times and finally put a magnet out still dead, only 3 added to the tally and thy where very long shots. I stuck it out and at about 2.30 it suddenly kicked off  birds coming from all angles and high speed some just a few yard's in front of me large flocks and small groups, birds swirling round and diving into the decoys made for some glaring misses and some great sport. it lasted for about an hour and in that time I added 22 to the bag. What a day the highs and lows of this wonderful sport all in one day.