Flights

Gunman

I am planning a trip to the US in September .  There are many airlines so wondered if any one has good or bad experiences and which may be the best for a long legged old man .

Dont mind paying a bit extra for comfort so not just looking at price but not the silly rates for "business men" and those traveling at the expense of the tax payer .

Preferred flying from Manchester [others considered ]  non stop to New York as we will be staying with relatives near Albany 

Edited by Gunman

I would’ve said Condor was great for Phoenix to Frankfurt, with BMI providing the short hop back to Bristol. But since FlyBMI’s demise last week, that’s less practical.  Also Condor/Thomas Cook aren’t looking too clever either…

For the flight over to the US back in September we flew LGW-OAK.  It was perfectly acceptable, with the usual Norwegian-to-the-point service. My biggest gripe was lack of leg-room.  They do offer ‘premium economy’ with more generous seat pitch, but you really have to be on the ball and book early not to be charged excessively.  Also, don’t go all ‘Yorkshire’ and be tempted with the cheapest class of tickets, no food and no checked baggage.  Fine for a short flight over to Europe, not so clever long haul. :lol:

Virgin are the best - especially in terms of food in economy and entertainment. The bulk head seats have good leg room (I'm over 6ft and they rate as 'comfortable'). Not sure if they go from Manchester.

BA - really not as good as they could be for a premium price. Their premium economy is good though.  

Norwegian - Its a plane. It will get there. Quit whining.

I did once fly Berlinair (now defunct I think), that was an..... experience.

Edited by Lord v

41 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I did once fly Berlinair (now defunct I think), that was an..... experience.

I see your Berlinair, and raise you one "Trans Air Congo" from Pointe Noire to Brazzaville and return (Republic of the Congo).

I still picture it in my nightmares....

Returning to the OP however, I echo most of the above. Mainstream carrier - Virgin, "Budget" carrier - Norwegian.

4 hours ago, Jonno243 said:

I see your Berlinair, and raise you one "Trans Air Congo" from Pointe Noire to Brazzaville and return (Republic of the Congo).

I still picture it in my nightmares....

I had colleagues who spent time in Congo, I have heard stories of Trans Air Congo so wont even try to compete. 😂

I've been many times on both BA and Virgin's premium economy transatlantic flights. Sometimes one seems better than the other but on balance there's not a great deal between them.

Take time to evaluate them both and perhaps a combination of the costs and times of available flights would help choosing between them.

10 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Norwegian Air offered a comfortable and relatively cheap service ... not sure if they'd fit your requirements.

Just make sure you pay on a credit card if booking Norwegian.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-6715097/ALEX-BRUMMER-Flybmi-collapse-sign-budget-airline-woes.html

https://www.ft.com/content/7edf613e-2a6f-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-24/norwegian-air-s-future-looks-chilly-after-ba-walks-away