1st time fly fishing

Jay_Russell

so after 30 years of angling, i finally got to try a spot of fly fishing, ive always had good banter with the fluff chuckers but never really fancied it myself. 

but..

i had a small photography job to quote for so thought id head down saturday to look at the location - was a trout fishery. just happens that the other photographer i was meeting is a infrequest trout fisher.. and just happened to have some tackle in his van!!

well i just had to have a go didnt i!!

well we actualy manged three and i even caught one myself.. think i might have to buy  a fly rod now i really enjoyed it! .  

Screenshot_20190218-095119_Gmail.jpg

lens (2 of 10).jpg

lens (3 of 10).jpg

20190218_092914.jpg

Nice pics!

A friend of mine has the fishing rights to a wonderful lake on the Shropshire/Wales border and invited me along to try fly fishing for the first time, last summer. I've been a coarse (sometimes very coarse) fisherman my whole life and had always thought of fly fishing as something that blokes like me just didn't do. But I have to say I'm hooked (sorry). The challenge of landing your fly at least somewhere in the proximity of where you want it to be is maddingly difficult to begin with but with practice it becomes at least possible but not necessarily probable! 

The biggest challenge I have right now though is finding sufficient excuses to give to HRH for when I want to shoot, fish (now two varieties), the occasional round of golf, watch the rugby, walking the dog. Oh yeah, and work. Can't stop dreaming of retirement.... 

i totally understand what you mean!! funny old men with strange hats and flys !!  strangley i didnt see any of those and supprisingly no one seamed to be gear snobbery at all, unlike carp fishing etc!! 

like you i found it quite addictive especialy teaching oneself how to cast properly so the fly actually lays out flat and not in one big heap. 

so last night i was trawling through amazon/ebay eytc looking at fly rods and centrepins for sale. no idea what im looking for but its fun! 

9 minutes ago, Jay_Russell said:

i totally understand what you mean!! funny old men with strange hats and flys !!  strangley i didnt see any of those and supprisingly no one seamed to be gear snobbery at all, unlike carp fishing etc!! 

like you i found it quite addictive especialy teaching oneself how to cast properly so the fly actually lays out flat and not in one big heap. 

so last night i was trawling through amazon/ebay eytc looking at fly rods and centrepins for sale. no idea what im looking for but its fun! 

hello, troutflies UK a complete set up for £135, the 9 ft 6 line is suitable for most still waters,  

9 minutes ago, Jay_Russell said:

thank you, i will check them out ;)

hello, the rod and reel is a leeda brand, just need a bag and quite a few on this site, have bought their trout flies since they started, not to much to pay if starting out, i have know people pay £150 just for a reel ? good luck, 

Fishing Megastore is another one - Based in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/feature-readerofferslist.html

Shakespeare/AirFlo/Ron Thompson/Leeda are all decently priced for beginners - Ignore all the Hardy and Sage gear for the moment - Get yourself a 5 or 7 weight rod and a floating line to match, with a nice cheap reel to marry them up - You won't use the reel half as much as you do coarse fishing.

Have fun!

42 minutes ago, Jay_Russell said:

You are completely right about carp fishing gear snobbery. Most of the set-ups I use would be ridiculed by the so-called experts. Indeed, my golf clubs are laughed at by some. My 40-year old shotgun is no doubt looked down on by some. But I still catch fish, hit a decent golf ball and hit a respectable number of clays. And I'm happy - all that matters.  No place in life for snobbery of any kind, IMHO.

And thanks guys for the tips on buying fly fishing gear, which I fully intend to do in the very near future.

Don’t go down the way of fly tying I have got addicted to it you start on one fly then find you have not got material for it so send for some next thing you are sending for this and that I must have enough materials here to tie 5000 flies and last night ordered some more threads it keeps going on and on like my typing this and on on on on on on 

for you guys that are still buying stuff from shops,do yourselves a favour get round boot sales n flea markets when i started tyeing flies i bought industrial spools of silver/gold ribbing of various widths,plus threads wools,chenile etc its all in the loft now havent done any in years and got enough stuff for the next 100 years,even offered jay wings on here for free so guys get lookin.

I started tying flies for my salmon fishing seatrout "sewin and and browns and now bass back in 1974 and I am am still tying them now, my advise is never start coz once you start you wont stop and end up like me with boxes stuffed with the things....but there is the very big buzz with rising a trout on your newly tied dry fly and seeing it take off downstream. 😃

MM

3 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

for you guys that are still buying stuff from shops,do yourselves a favour get round boot sales n flea markets when i started tyeing flies i bought industrial spools of silver/gold ribbing of various widths,plus threads wools,chenile etc its all in the loft now havent done any in years and got enough stuff for the next 100 years,even offered jay wings on here for free so guys get lookin.

If you decide to get rid of the fly tying gear, give me a shout. I am only down the Rainford by-pass from you.

You don't want a centrepin reel Jay....birdnest here we come with that one.

Don't dismiss flytying either, nothing like catching a fish on one that you have tied...

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

really nice pics :good:

thanks ditchman :) 

On 20/02/2019 at 22:49, Bazooka Joe said:

You don't want a centrepin reel Jay....birdnest here we come with that one.

Don't dismiss flytying either, nothing like catching a fish on one that you have tied...

ha yes i have a couple centrepins for my carp stalking, andf your right completey useless for fly fishing! i didnt realise the fly fishing version were not called centrepins too!

On 18/02/2019 at 09:55, Jay_Russell said:

so after 30 years of angling, i finally got to try a spot of fly fishing, ive always had good banter with the fluff chuckers but never really fancied it myself. 

but..

i had a small photography job to quote for so thought id head down saturday to look at the location - was a trout fishery. just happens that the other photographer i was meeting is a infrequest trout fisher.. and just happened to have some tackle in his van!!

well i just had to have a go didnt i!!

well we actualy manged three and i even caught one myself.. think i might have to buy  a fly rod now i really enjoyed it! .  

Screenshot_20190218-095119_Gmail.jpg

lens (2 of 10).jpg

lens (3 of 10).jpg

20190218_092914.jpg

hello, was that Letchlade by any chance ?

On 21/02/2019 at 08:46, snow white said:

I know it’s a good way of spending cold nights tying flys but the ruddy stuff you buy gets out of hand a bit of this a bit of that then it’s finding space to put it.

I've already got a fair collection of materials but I use the plastic nets that Oranges come in for bloodworms, an old Ruskie type hat for the fur to make Hares Ears. Plenty of feathers from the game season to make Pheasant Tails etc and my wife is in to quilting and embroidery so a bit of snaffling goes on.

But that brings its own problem because, wherever I am, then any old bit of fluff or thread becomes a potential lure or fly. Pockets full of rubbish🙄