sitty tree question

misser

just a quick question for the pw massive....watched a large 'sitty tree' on a pigeon flightline on a windy day last week...was going to have a session under it and thought about the forthcoming shots...would folk take the  more sporting shots further out from the tree, take them when there about to put their undercarriage down and finally the ultimate if one managed to land on the top branches would it be acceptable to do it stationary...just let me put the customary tin hat on to deflect the incoming... 😃😃...atb...misser    

I have no remorse in putting a shot towards them if they are foolish enough to sit up the tree ( they might be the only shots I get ☺️ ) , a lot of the times I will decoy right or left from a tree  depending on the wind direction and take crossing shots , or decoy well out from the tree if I am under it and take head on shots ,

Back in the 50s as a teenager I was given a set number of cartridges and a 12 gauge and expected to bring the same number of pigeons back.  Full covered hide 30yrds from known sitty tree, small 12 inch hole in roof and one carved wooden decoy in field.   Today most if not all pigeon shooting is crop protection so shoot every one which presents itself in range.

Back in the 50s it put meat on the table even on a farm.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

As my sole purpose for shooting pigeons is for crop protection, I shoot all that present themselves be that flying or sitting. 

If I just shot birds that presented as truly sporting challenges I'd soon get my marching orders.

This. If we gave anything regarded as a pest a 'sporting chance' on any land we shoot on the owner would soon find someone else to shoot there. 

38 minutes ago, misser said:

thanks gents for all the replies...… it appears the consensus of opinion is that pigeons in the bag is the object of the exercise.......makes me feel a tad better then if I pop one off sat in the tree..😄😄...atb.misser   

There are times when you have got more chance killing a pigeon coming towards a tree than to wait until it has landed , when the trees are in leaf its sometimes a job to see them and if you can there is normally a branch to shield it , so if it's in range and present a shot then give it one rather than wait for it to land and you then can't see it .

My main reason for shooting is crop protection and the number I shoot gives me access to lots of farms. I find the bigger target is just prior to landing in the tree but have no concern to shoot sitters. Close birds in decoys I tend to shoot down the side and take out  a wing to stop spoiling the meat for resale. It's like a runner in the hedge with no dog you can stalk and shoot to the side on the edge of the pattern.

I find if you move as they approach the tree they will invariably see you and bolt, if you wait until they have perched the same applies as they are very alert and wary of any ground movement, their weak point if they have one is just as they drop their undercarriage , they switch from long sight or binocular vision to close range to identify a suitable branch, for this brief 3 or 4 seconds they cannot focus on surrounding ground space , I wait for this moment to raise the gun to mount, at this point you can choose to fire at the still moving target, or pause for a second or two until they grab the perch so a stationary target, then fire, either way the bird is not aware of you and will present a much more steady target with much less chance of a miss, 

My favourite tree is a young oak, about 40 feet high and the same across, from Christmas till late march it is completely naked with loads of good spots to stick up my 3 lofters as high as I can get them, my hide is in some willows 30 yards from the centre of the tree, so all targets fall between roughly 20 and 40 yards, 

I use my Hushpower moderator on my 12 gauge Beretta with some hard hitting 28gm 6's and rarely see one escape.

I have used the Air Arms 400S .177 on occasion but much prefer the killing power of the Beretta, especially as I do like to take a pop at higher birds as they pass over  but whichever way you take it its a great way to bag a few birds without a lot of gear, 😁