Best Rotary

Trenta

Hello team, 

Can you advise on what the best pigeon magnets or whirlys and where to buy them?  I think my patterns need more movement! Also, can you use a decoy on there rather than a dead bird, as I am having trouble shooting the first birds to start with 

Thanks in advance

Trent

As Dead Eye Alan above has said, UKShootwarehouse sell a range of rotaries. I obtained my first one from Phil Beasley (UKSW) when he first brought them out aver twenty years ago and it served me well faultlessly for many years. It was bombproof but was quite heavy so a few years later I bought one of their Ultra lightweight models which has served me well for nearly 15 years without fault. The original one was given to a pal and is still used today without any problems. They probably are not the cheapest on the market but I`ve found them to be well made and have certainly earned their keep over the years. The only alteration that I`ve made to mine is to add a camo cloth covering to the arms which prevents any chance of them shining on sunny days.

Regards using artificial decoys on the arms, UKSW sell `Hyperflap sillosocks`. Most will say that dead birds are best and certainly they are best for static birds on the ground and no-one can argue that two dead birds on the rotary and a dozen dead birds on cradles are best, as this is the `default` arrangement by PC on here and his bags are testament to the success of this.

However, I have used the Hyperflap ones when dead and breasted birds (I try to keep two breasted birds for such occasions in the freezer) with good effect. My shooting diary records a day two years ago when decoying over rape when I did not have any dead birds so used the two hyperflaps on the rotary. The wind was blowing from right to left so the rotary was set well upwind to my right with a pattern of flocked half shells out in front. Birds immediately began to decoy to the rotary giving me relatively straight forward crossing shots. During a short lull, I decided to replace the hyperflaps with real freshly shot birds. The result was that birds still headed towards the rotary but flared off prior to coming into range. I normally set one arm slightly higher than the other and angle the birds inwards in order to try to simulate two landing as opposed to two merely chasing each other on the same plane. I then replaced the real birds with the hyperflaps and the pigeons resumed their original tactics of flying right over to the rotary, again giving me shootable birds. My diary records that during my short session of 3hrs I shot 55 pigeons with the hyperflaps on the rotary and none with real birds. 

Only two weeks ago, again on rape I hadn`t taken my two breasted birds out of the freezer earlier enough so that they were still too frozen inside to put on the rotary, so the hyperflaps were once again put into use. These had a similar effect to the day previously mentioned so were left on for the duration. I had cause during my short session to pick up one bird that was hit and dropped well away from the main scene of the action. From about 100 away, the hyperflaps stood out really well and provided far more movement (wing material flapping) than dead birds would have done. The days were different in that the first day mentioned, there was no wind and the second mentioned there was a 15-20 mph, so the wind did not appear to be a considering factor.

Sorry about the long-winded reply but to summarise answers to your queries -:

1.Best Rotary - The best that you can afford, but I can recommend those sold by UKShootwarehouse

2.Use of artificials on a rotary - Hyperflaps can be a good substitute for the real thing and sometime surpass expectations.

I`m sure others will have conflicting views but I tend to speak as I find and from past experiences.

Hope that this helps.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

On 19/02/2019 at 10:05, Old Boggy said:

Old Boggy, thank you for all your advice - I bought the rotary and silosocks decoys as you suggested, and it turns out that this is what was missing in my shooting.  I had my first productive day out.  Much appreciated.