Lighter loads Rem 1100 .... ports ?

Doitwithstyle

Hi all 

I have a older Remington 1100 . Will cycle 27gram carts . But not light loads . 

On very rare occasion it will sometimes fail to cycle . And then after manually ejection will work fine again 

Some other forums . Say there’s will work with 21g and others say there won’t work unless the 32g or higher 

I  have a skeet barrel fitted with 2 gas ports 

i only shoot clays . 

Was wondering if opening the ports up will make a difference or just fudge the barrel . 

Or is there any thing that can be replaced or looked at to maybe make it work with the lighter loads . 

Basically I’m to tight to by 27/28 for my semi and then 21 for my overunder . 

The recoil is nothing on the semi . But after a round or 2 with 28s in the  o/u it isn’t to fun . 

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Edited by Doitwithstyle

I did some research on this with my Remington 1187s, specifically in respect of the gas sealing ring. I got mine to cycle 21g and 24g by changing the size of the ring. I put the results on the semi auto club thread ( I believe it was page 19 or 20) if that’s any help. I did not want to open the ports as they can’t subsequently be undrilled.

additionally, working parts scrupulously clean with minimal oil

Edited by impala59
Afterthought

14 hours ago, impala59 said:

I did some research on this with my Remington 1187s, specifically in respect of the gas sealing ring. I got mine to cycle 21g and 24g by changing the size of the ring. I put the results on the semi auto club thread ( I believe it was page 19 or 20) if that’s any help. I did not want to open the ports as they can’t subsequently be undrilled.

This

1 hour ago, Robertt said:

My 1100's minimum cycling load was 28g.

Using 2 x 'O ' rings it now happily cycles 24g.

Haven't tried 21g but will put some through it this week.

And this.

Invest in a seals kit, keep in lubed with light coat of oil, and it should cycle 21g , mine does .

16 hours ago, impala59 said:

Will try find this now . Thanks 

Also will def giv this a try 

3 hours ago, Robertt said:

My 1100's minimum cycling load was 28g.

Using 2 x 'O ' rings it now happily cycles 24g.

Haven't tried 21g but will put some through it this week

I have heard of this, when I tried it the gun would not go fully into battery and the gun would not fire. 

To simply cut to the chase of my experiments, go on the bay and get some viton o rings with an inside diameter of 24 mm and a cross section of 2 to 2.4 mm. these are slightly oversize, the OE part being about 1.6 mm. These oversized gas seals should retain slightly more gas pressure from a lighter load and consequently cycle the action

44 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Try 2 O rings for light loads and if it works, it works.

For 28g  - 42g I remove the extra O ring.

The 1187 is slightly different spec and thus the barrels are not interchangeable.

Agreed, the 1100 is a slightly different gas system and I bow to your experience with that model, also putting 2 gas seals in is a very simple experiment to carry out

Took my lads clay shooting today and they used 21g Cheddite trap with 2 x O rings and 100% cycling in the 1979 Rem 1100.

Proud to say they missed very little on the sporting layout and high tower.

Used a handful of Eley Select 21g, which I know are quite mild and they didn't come close to cycling.

What you have to consider, if you wish to use the lighter loads, is that when the 1100 was concieved clays were shot with 32g and game 36g.

Having said that most 1100's I've used work with 24g and some, which haven't had the original action springs replaced will work will cycle with 21g trap type loads easily.

Daft but where I clay shoot the 24/28g are the cheapest. 

W

Afterthought

If you havn't already, remove, clean and lightly lube action spring also the action spring tube, which can accumulate a fair amount of muck.

It helps if someone firmly holds the receiver when you remove the spring and make sure its not pointing at anything valuable as if you don't catch it, it can fly out with considerable gusto.

Edited by Robertt