Rear end shunt experience?

Shufti

Hi lads

Last week my missus was hit bad while waiting to turn right.

Her car shunted across road lucky it missed oncoming traffic.

Other car admitted fault and police charging him with driving with out due care and attention.

We are only TPFT!

Any of you lads had any dealings with a claims company?.....before I'm shot down I don't believe we got much option!

Any help much appreciated 

Thank you

Edited by Shufti
mistake

19 minutes ago, Shufti said:

Hi lads

Last week my missus was hit bad while waiting to turn right.

Her car shunted across road lucky it missed oncoming traffic.

Other car admitted fault and police charging him with driving with out due care and attention.

We are only TPFT!

Any of you lads had any dealings with a claims company?.....before I'm shot down I don't believe we got much option!

Any help much appreciated 

Thank you

Its irrelevant whether you are TPFT, you have the same rights, it is a non fault accident, and you will get everything you would if full comp.

Use a management company if you wish, they will arrange courtesy car, personal injury claim and repair or disposal.
Or use your insurance company , thats their job !
You may be approached by the other parties insurance company, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, they sometimes resolve things quicker.

PM if you want any other advice.

That`s an easy one, provided she was correctly positioned and stationary with a direction indicator on then its the third party`s fault.

However if she came to a sudden standstill in the middle of the lane without an indicator and the third party has a dash cam to prove this then the insurance might want to share the blame. By sharing the blame both drivers premiums will increase on renewal due to the load that will be applied and In any case fault or not the insurance premium on renewal may still increase just because there was a claim. 

The no claims bonus is a different thing If it goes 50 / 50 then any no claims bonus may be also effected unless you have protected bonus.

On top of this unless there is no question regarding fault you are usually required to pay the excess up front before they will deal with the claim. 

You do not have to use their approved repairer you can use your designated repairer.

If the  car is written off then they don`t have to pay you book value, they have to pay the market replacement cost from a reputable dealer. The value is determined by finding two similar cars locally and taking the average from the two prices. If it is winter and rural and she is in a 4x4 then the value of the car will be higher than the same car in the towns hence the term "locally".

If you wish to keep the car and have the insurer pay you for the damages then you "accept settlement in full for the damages" this is the repair cost without vat, remember the car is yours but the insurance may try to lay claim to it following a claim which in many cases is not lawfull.

Edited by sportsbob

5 minutes ago, Swinton said:

If they write it off don’t take the first offer .but the other insurance company should sort it .

but I think you still have to tell yours 

Yes you do have to inform your insurance because the question is, Have you had any accidents claims or convictions etc etc.

11 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

If the  car is written off then they don`t have to pay you book value, they have to pay the market replacement cost from a reputable dealer. The value is determined by finding two similar cars locally and taking the average from the two prices. If it is winter and rural and she is in a 4x4 then the value of the car will be higher than the same car in the towns hence the term "locally".

This is how you determine the value.

Edited by sportsbob

Hope your wife is ok, as far as i understand is that irrespective of you making a claim monies are actually set aside once insurance is informed of the accident.Its either claim it or lose it, similar to PPI. Don't be put off by anyone having a dig, you paid your insurance and one aspect of it is to provide you with legal assistance in an event such as this.You do have a choice however to go elsewhere, hence the 3rd party claims companies will be inevitably on your back. Believe it or not, its your insurance company that will be giving them your information.

Shufti - as the Police have charged the other driver, liability does not seem in question. I have been in two accidents of this nature. I used a local solicitor on the first - slow, but higher pay-out. The second time I use the "Injury Lawyers for you" - off the television. They were okay, but less pay-out, despite a heavy smash - I had to be cut out of the car.

That said - I would return all the money if I could wind back the clock and avoid the accidents.

I would check what solicitors locally were offering on a no win no fee basis. Not as slick, in my limited experience, but better. 

Thanks all for help and concern.

39 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Not knocking in any way but why only tpft I have got prices for both types of cover over the years and to be honest the difference was negligible. 

Yes at the time there was a difference.....40+ years since my last claim ...got complacent!

Mrs S carted off to hospital with neck braced up and x rayed , nothing broken.

There best part of the day.....so busy !

Home with very sore neck, hurt leg and black eye.

Cars finished

Tried a local solicitors and they were only interested in the personal injury side.

Only looking to get a fair solution ,sh'es hoping to go back to work next week (only off 4 days at moment}

so no ones getting rich!

Yes liability all the other car

I am reluctant to use those firms so looking for advice and PW helps in spades.

Thank you all for taking time to reply and help.

Takes me ages to type .....sometimes use two fingers now!

Thanks

I got shunted into last year whilst stationary in traffic, my advise would be do not deal direct with other parties insurer as you might get stung further down the line and you insurer won't want to be involved. I used a claims company appointed by my insurer and all resolved without incident. My car was repairable though so can't advise on what to do about settlement for car being written off.

1 hour ago, decoy1979 said:

I got shunted into last year whilst stationary in traffic, my advise would be do not deal direct with other parties insurer as you might get stung further down the line and you insurer won't want to be involved. I used a claims company appointed by my insurer and all resolved without incident. My car was repairable though so can't advise on what to do about settlement for car being written off.

Could you pass on link or number if your happy to?

PM if you prefer.

Thank you for your time

Had a very similar bump 3 years ago whilst sat at a Red llight and was shunted into the middle of a dual carriageway. 

I won't mention the gender of the driver of the as it might be deemed sexist  but the driver was texting and had a cup of coffee between her knees.

As stated the onus is on the other parties insurance.

Next quote check prices of both as I've found little difference.

I rear ended a car on dual carriageway back in September 2016, my fault entirely but I was in a works vehicle. The claim has only been settled this week! £4.5k for whiplash etc it’s a slow process! 

If you have legal expenses on your insurance I would go through them. However shouldn’t you report an accident to your insurance within a certain period of time? 

I'm surprised that whoever has your car (I assume a recovery company took it away) hasn't passed details onto a 'where there's blame there's a claim' shark. I had a head on a few years ago that wasn't my fault, the shark got me a 4x4 for 8 weeks (£160 a day + vat), a payout on my truck & an injury settlement. Don't go to their insurers, they'll only do what's best for them & not you.

Lads

The deed is done!

We went with a recommended claims firm.

Really surprised we were not cold called by any one.

I towed the car home (close by) and its sat on drive, I suppose not the best thing to have done.First of many mistakes perhaps !

Courtesy car coming , then an "engineer" to assess the damaged car.

Thanks again all for your help and time

I'll post the outcome however it goes ( will I live that long!) Be use full for others 

Cheers Shufti

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2019 at 08:32, countryman said:

I had a non fault accident last year, the other drivers insurance picked up all costs. All seemed well until I went for a renewal on my insurance, surprise surprise all my quotes had gone up a lot even though I put down a non fault accident on the renewal. 

I had exactly this 2 years ago.

sounds like a horrible accident fortunately missed oncoming traffic. 

Just a thought I did a defensive driving course for work. Part of the advice was, when you are waiting to turn right in a right turn lane, that you keep the car wheels straight. That way in a shunt you go straight on rather than into on coming traffic.

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

sounds like a horrible accident fortunately missed oncoming traffic. 

Just a thought I did a defensive driving course for work. Part of the advice was, when you are waiting to turn right in a right turn lane, that you keep the car wheels straight. That way in a shunt you go straight on rather than into on coming traffic.

Yes that was always taught as good practice.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lads

Update, just received a cheque for the old car and the courtesy car goes back next week.

Almost three months hire to be paid to the claims company! from the other party's insurance. Madness!

So far so good,  I'll name  the firm when they collect the car as long as we don't get stung by any extras.

Thank you all for your help.

My 1996 Toyota surf was written off, other drivers fault, my insurance company gave me a brand new L.W.B. Shogun. 3 miles  on the clock,  the difference between my valuation and the other insurance company was £300. Uneconomical repair. Took 10 weeks to settle,it went back with 3000 on it and a hire charge  of 8K ,  all because I would not let them roll over me. Bought it back for £400, got a mate to fix it, got a mate to fix it £400,     as good as new.     NEVER SETTLE unless it’s in your favour.