Cost? Cerakote v hydro dip

The Burpster

Anyone done this research to save me doing it? Recently bought a SA for pigeon bashing and occasional claying but despite being in mint condition the barrel is blued which is sweet but very reflective. I would historically have it hydro dipped by hydrographics but wondering if anyone has opted for cerakote in preference?????

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

Hi I haven’t  cerakoted but I have bbq/stove painted my £15 wonder of an over and under . Has lasted a year with no chips or scratches . And tbh dosnt like to bad . 

I did flat them down .as the texture . Now there smooth and a nice satin finish . Can send a photo if you want . 

The spray can was £7 from wilko . 

P.s I looked in to ceracote but  a company came back at £120 - £150 

Edited by Doitwithstyle

Sounds like the mix ratio of hardener may have been a bit weak with early wear showing like that. Still have my ceracoat kit (hardener in fridge) building up courage to finish the Wingmaster. My friend (we shared the cost of ceracoat) got a great finish on his, he did leave it a month to cure though.

I have had some very good stove paint results ( good heat curing and spraying warm metal)

Edited by impala59

My Browning gold 10 has seen some abuse over the years, and the black finish on the aloy action started to oxidize under the paint it scraped off leaving slight depressions on the surface i lightly sanded it down and painted the action with krylon flat black, this as stood up well this season but wears on the edges like most paint finishes do. I have only recently been thinking of ceracote finish but not sure if its the best way to go.

Kits look to be about £45 with some different numbers 116 /140 etc some air dry some oven cure. im not sure whats the right one to go for. and if its worth the expence, you can buy a lot of seasons flat black krylon for £45 .

Hydrographics will do the entire gun including stock but as pointed out its not as tough as cerocote . Its a devil to know what to do.

6 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

My 308 is Cerakoted looks like new still after 4 years. 

Did you have the action and bolt treated also? Are they still unmarked? 

I ask as I recently had a rifle cerakoted and it's already showing wear on the bolt. It's been suggested that where treated surfaces are running across each other, wear is inevitable almost immediately, which is dissapointing given the cost. 

Thanks guys, getting others experiences hasn’t really helped make me make a decision but is certainly interesting. The AR that has wear on it wasn’t done by Tec coatings I have subsequently found out. It was a done by a ‘mate’ that had the kits and a spray booth so may explain its lack of endurance. I have pre iuosly had whole shotguns dipped in real tree by hydro graphics and they were extremely durable and effective. 

I am not after the whole lot to be done this time just a matte durable finish on a blued SA barrel..... I would be tempted to have a go myself but it’s not my day job so don’t have practice pieces or an oven......😒

Edited by The Burpster

1 hour ago, The Burpster said:

Thanks guys, getting others experiences hasn’t really helped make me make a decision but is certainly interesting. The AR that has wear on it wasn’t done by Tec coatings I have subsequently found out. It was a done by a ‘mate’ that had the lost and a spray booth so may explain its lack of endurance. I have pre iuosly had whole shotguns dipped in real tree by hydro graphics and they were extremely durable and effective. 

I am not after the whole lot to be done this time just a matte durable finish on a blued SA barrel..... I would be tempted to have a go myself but it’s not my day job so don’t have practice pieces or an oven......😒

Just doing your barrel i would be tempted to buy a can of krylon fusion tec paint, its not cheap at £18 now but you could give two coats ten times on a barrel for that price and its quite durable lasted a wildfowling season on a barrel and my 10s action is still ok. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRYLON-Camouflage-Paint-with-Fusion-Technology-Black/332276620893?epid=2270134355&hash=item4d5d3ade5d:g:QpUAAOSwDrNZTFws:rk:6:pf:0

13 hours ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Hi I haven’t  cerakoted but I have bbq/stove painted my £15 wonder of an over and under . Has lasted a year with no chips or scratches . And tbh dosnt like to bad . 

I did flat them down .as the texture . Now there smooth and a nice satin finish . Can send a photo if you want . 

The spray can was £7 from wilko . 

P.s I looked in to ceracote but  a company came back at £120 - £150 

+1, Spray it yourself, if it is for use in the hide you can tune the colour/shade to your exact requirements and keep the can to touch up any scratches now and then.

12 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

My 308 is Cerakoted looks like new still after 4 years. 

My very old Benelli semi-auto was Cerakoted about 6 years ago and has been abused on many marshes and dropped into the sea on one occasion.

Not a blemish on it.   Wonderful stuff if it is applied correctly.   Got mine done at Rifle Craft in Norfolk.