FAC for air rifles

matgriff

Hi all.    I currently own a few shotguns, 12GA + .410  and also two air rifles, a  TX200HC and an S400 pcp.

I have quite a bit of land of my own, as part of our house, which was once a farm, and we are surrounded on all sides by fields, on which I have permission to shoot.

I was thinking about getting a FAC for my air rifles, to allow me to shoot rabbits, squirrels and rats etc, at a bit longer distance with a bit more certainty,  I have a rabbit problem on my vegetable plots, also I can shoot early morning or evenings without letting loose with the 12 bore.

What's the actual process involved in applying for FAC air rifle use ?

Thanks

Mat

Edited by matgriff
typo

Hi Matt

FAC air is the same as any other firearm. Apply for the calibre you want i.e. .22 and under type specify air rifle. If you also want say a .22lr you would specify that as a separate rifle. So you can apply for say .22LR and .22 FAC air on one application to the police but each will be considered on its own merits under good reason. 

Don't forget to add a moderator as well for each rifle type you want as these are counted as separate items and firearms. 

Have a read through the guidance with the application for its fairly comprehensive. As with any other firearm you will need to show good reason in your case pest control over ground on which you have permission to shoot.

Another thing to check is if your ground has been cleared by the police for any specific calibre of rifle if not you will probably need to get it cleared as part of your application as you will almost certainly be on a closed ticket initially (i.e. you can only shoot of ground that you have permission on and that has been cleared by the police force for that area for the calibre you want to shoot on it).

Hi, ok thanks for the feedback.  So the land I want to shoot on is owned by me, so that should be straightforward enough. For the application itself, then should I just put 0.177 FAC air +  0.22 FAC air + 0.22LR + moderators and then see what comes back ?  ie can the police say for example you're OK for FAC air but not 0.22 LR and then just issue a ticket for what's approved ?  or for example they could just clear me for all three, and then even if I only have a 0.22 FAC air rifle I'm OK to get the others in future if I want to ?

For the ammo for FAC air, is there any need to declare a maximum ?  as it would be the same pellets as used in a sub 12ft/lbs rifle, of which I already have a stock ?

Regarding the land being cleared by the police, do I need to do anything specific here, or just submit my application and then wait for them to come and check it out ?

Thanks

Mat

Hi Mat

There is nothing to stop you applying for anything you have good reason for so you could apply for all three if you have need for them i.e. good reason. Its basically down to you to show you have good reason to get a firearm i.e. for pest control. Also you need to show the firearm is suitable for the reason you want it i.e. you generally wont get a .243 to control bunnies :) 

Most people tend to apply for what they need / think they need for the near future. You are under no obligation to buy all your granted slots straight away but if for example you have a slot for 3 years and have not filled it then they may want to revoke it as your need cant be that great. 

Ground clearance is basically done by the Firearms office for your area. It could be cleared from way back if the ground has changed hands for example I had a bit of ground that was cleared up to .243 as it used to be part of another estate back in the day.

This will normally involve them visiting the site and checking it against what you want clearance for and the quarry on it. A good way to prepare for this is a map of the area showing boundaries, footpaths and having a good knowledge of where quarry is and suitable backstops for where you plan to shoot.

For ammunition for air rifles you don't need to put it on the application as its basically airgun pellets that anyone can buy. You only need to specify ammunition hold for powder burners like .22lr.  

Edited by Zetter

I would say to apply for a rimfire and forget FAC air. Having owned both simultaneously I can honestly say that almost every time  I wanted more 'clout' than a non-FAC air rifle could deliver, I automatically picked up the rimfire .. Ended up selling the FAC air rifle at a big loss simply because it wasn't getting any use. You will find that you can also get a lot more .22 rimfire rifle for your money than FAC air, which tend to be quite spendy. OK, so the ammo is going to cost more, but you'll do a hell of a lot of shooting before you've spent as much as if you'd bought FAC air rifles as well ;)

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:43, hwr said:

30 I think, but 45 degrees I believe works best in a vacuum so I take your point.

I always thought it was about 32.5 degrees.   I don't know, never actually tested it or frankly even tried.   Certainly the 45 degrees in a vacuum but the real world changes this.

A quick Interweb search throws up figures between around 30-35 degrees, so I guess there is still some debate!

:good: