Harry Potter : Poll for the over 18's only

Mungler

Harry Potter  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Are you over 18 and have you read a Harry Potter book?

• Yes. And I once played Dungeons and Dragons to a semi professional level and had a very high ranking wizard.
    • No. Harry Potter books are for children.

I was just looking at the news - half a mile queue for the new book and plenty of grown ups.

Good work for the divorcee from Glasgie.

I have thought about writing a book on misfit field sports guys who all get together via their computers and become a fearless gang and clean up the world

I had a title “Ultimate Task Force†we all have special powers characters like “The Mung can fire a silken web to entangle the bad guy

“Highlander†puts on a gurn and turns them to stone (you can only look at him through a mirror)

“LB†has small running creatures that bite your legs (called NTTF)

“The Cranner†takes what LB has caught and puts your danglers in his new bench vice (sort of torture)

“ pavman†is the organiser, a train enthusiast know by the fearless few as the fat controller,

Am I on to a winner? I don’t think its been done before, we can make a packet :good:

I expect most of the adults were queuing to buy for their children.

I don't begrudge J K a penny of what she has earned, at least she has made lots of kids read something and not just stare at a TV or PC screen. :good:

pavman, what about Snakebite as the little bloke that they always have in these films, the comic Danny De Vito type. :good:

Not read any myself but one of the lads on my shift has read them all and went to a well known supermarket last night on his way home to get the latest release. Not bought any for the kids yet either as they are a bit young but might invest in a box set when they are older. Must admit to watching the films though :good:

Barry Trotter is for kids, why adults read it I’m not sure. It only goes to show their actual mental age, immaturity or sense of heightened imagination and fascination with pre-pubescent teenagers sticking brooms up their ****. :good: Please don't cry Trotter fans, just a joke.

So what is the difference between the Potter books and the lord of the rings trilogy? I don't seem to recall adults being ridiculed for reading Tolkein's stuff - and no-one is really sure who his chosen audience was to be. I say if you want to read something and emjoy it - does it really matter what others think? Perhaps they are being book snobs?

:good::good::D

So what is the difference between the Potter books and the lord of the rings trilogy? I don't seem to recall adults being ridiculed for reading Tolkein's stuff - and no-one is really sure who his chosen audience was to be. I say if you want to read something and emjoy it - does it really matter what others think? Perhaps they are being book snobs?

:good::good::D

Lord of the rings is a metaphor for sacrifice and friendship in war (Tolkien fought at the Somme and was very affected by the suffering and resillience of the ordinary soldiers). Harry Potter is "Tom Brown's Schooldays" with magic wands. However, I agree that if you like it, then there is no reason you shoudlnt enjoy it.

ZB

Must be one of the Sad B@st@rds then, :good: have read all of the books, bought the last one this morning, didn't do the midnight thing as the eldest is 14 and was in france and only came back this afternoon, or I would have been there.

Better to read those than sit and play on the little blue screens of the gameboy, DS ect ect. Cant say I have ever played more then 10 mins on one of those and that was nintendogs :good: .

PS Have The Lord of the Rings Books Hobbit, and the DVD's and the |DVD's of Harry Potter and am going to see the film tomorrow with the kids

Trev

At age nine my reading age was equal to that of a 14 year old. All I did was birdwatching and read books. :good: Then when I was 12 I discovered Pigeon Watch and as they say the rest is history. :good: Going to read the final book though. An aunty has bought it for me.

FM :good:

P.S. I know who dies. :D

P.P.S I wonder how much my signed copy of the Goblet of fire will be worth at the moment?

I've read them all and seen the films. Deciding whether to wait for the new one to come out in paperback but I'll probably give in before then and buy the hardback, specially as the supermarkets sell them fairly cheap. And I'm looking for someone to come and watch the new film with me. But no, I've never had any interest in Dungeons and Dragons lol.

Having just read the book I must say I was suprised at the political content. Sort of an orwellian/magic mystery. many kids will miss the inference. quite grown up. imagine Swift's Gulliver crossed with animal farm crossed with the great stupendo.

Jim