Omega or Rolex

djrwood

Still toying with getting a luxury watch, the sort I can wear regularly but also one that won’t lose a shed load of money. Hence the question.....

i really fancy an omega speed master moon watch but it’s not that much more money to buy an entry level type Rolex, oyster perpetual or maybe an air king. 

Which do you think will be best at holding value on the long run?

thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Am I the only one who wonders why people spend so much on a watch ??? 

Dont get me wrong I know it’s each to his own but can someone try and sell it to me. Please :) . 

My watch cost £12 😀 and I love it as my good lady bought it me for Xmas as it’s connected to my phone texts . 

What gun do you shoot ?😊

I think a watch (or a pen) for a gentleman is like a set of diamond earrings or necklace for a lady, normally gifted on a milestone - seems to be the big old 40. 

Edited to add I have a ‘nice’ watch but it’s not a Rolex or omega I used to save it for best but the good lady moaned I never wore it normally. First outing clouted the face on a wall and put a deep scratch in it. Hey ho!!

Edited by ph5172

17 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Howa , cz, Brno . They shoot better than me

A ford mondeo and a merc will both drive you to work, but sometimes it’s nice to appareciate the nice work that’s gonr into something? 🤷‍♂️ 

And if you’ve got money to spare, there’s worse things to blow the money on, especially if it holds value. Better than sat in the bank depreciating year on year, if you buy something else could go up every year. 

Had an Omega seamaster but the clasp failed. I'd had the watch for a year - took it to the jeweller to replace it but Omega refused to do it under warranty saying it was 'wear and tear'! 

The jeweller was so shocked with a 'reputable' company he later offered a part ex on the Omega. In the end I chopped in the Omega for a Rolex Submariner and never looked back. Wear it every day no matter what and it's been perfect 

Watch goes up in value each year for insurance purposes. 

Just factor in a 10% value for a genuine service every 5-7 years tho!

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

A ford mondeo and a merc will both drive you to work, but sometimes it’s nice to appareciate the nice work that’s gonr into something? 🤷‍♂️ 

And if you’ve got money to spare, there’s worse things to blow the money on, especially if it holds value. Better than sat in the bank depreciating year on year, if you buy something else could go up every year. 

I get that I really do but doesn’t it tell the time just the same. 

I spend a little more on a van than most as I get comfort , nice extras , better ride, it’s fast. I see something for my money and get more than a cheap van. I spend all day in it and it earns me my wages. 

My mate has four Rolex’s at over £10k in total . I’m lost on him 

1 minute ago, team tractor said:

I get that I really do but doesn’t it tell the time just the same. 

I spend a little more on a van than most as I get comfort , nice extras , better ride, it’s fast. I see something for my money and get more than a cheap van. I spend all day in it and it earns me my wages. 

My mate has four Rolex’s at over £10k in total . I’m lost on him 

Not only the same... often worse!!! 🤣😂 All those moving parts, the watch can lose a few seconds here and there.

A £10 casio will keep much better time. 

Preowned rolex, sub, gmt, seadweller, and it will out perform the bank all day long, few omegas go up. Buy what takes your eye but if the money is a priority buy the rolex, my thinking is 114060 if its not a daily , if its for everyday get a date model Be mindful of the service costs, i have just had one done £700.  thats for 8 years of use and its doubled in value 

Edited by Rupert

I prefer Omega, I have had Rolex’s but I just like Omega as a brand better. At the moment I am wearing a Omega Plant Ocean that I love. When I do decide on a change I will buy secondhand from watchfinder or similar. I never lose any money on them. 

It’s the initial cost, once you have spend the money it’s easy to swap and change when you like with no real extra expense. 

If you are talking about holding value as an investment then it has to be Rolex. As much as I love Omega, and indeed a Seamaster is my "everyday" wear, I have found over the years that nothing performs (in financial terms) like a Rolex. To date I have never lost any money on one.

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

Am I the only one who wonders why people spend so much on a watch ??? 

Dont get me wrong I know it’s each to his own but can someone try and sell it to me. Please :) . 

My watch cost £12 😀 and I love it as my good lady bought it me for Xmas as it’s connected to my phone texts . 

A Baikal will kill partridges,a halfords "Snap off" socket set will loosen nuts,& an old nissan micra will get you from AtoB, just some people prefer an English sidelock, snap on tools & a better car ( self included) it,s human nature, I personally have never watched a football match, as i can,t seee the entertainment value, each to his own.

12 hours ago, djrwood said:

Still toying with getting a luxury watch, the sort I can wear regularly but also one that won’t lose a shed load of money. Hence the question.....

i really fancy an omega speed master moon watch but it’s not that much more money to buy an entry level type Rolex, oyster perpetual or maybe an air king. 

Which do you think will be best at holding value on the long run?

thanks

Casio.

8 hours ago, Rupert said:

Preowned rolex, sub, gmt, seadweller, and it will out perform the bank all day long, few omegas go up. Buy what takes your eye but if the money is a priority buy the rolex, my thinking is 114060 if its not a daily , if its for everyday get a date model Be mindful of the service costs, i have just had one done £700.  thats for 8 years of use and its doubled in value 

I bought my Seamaster for £900 six years ago. No box or papers.

Fair enough the chap was stuck for cash.

Last month in Southend a Jeweller offered me £1800 for it !

Cash, not a trade in.

My savings account pays .05%

No brainer really!

7 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

I prefer Omega, I have had Rolex’s but I just like Omega as a brand better. At the moment I am wearing a Omega Plant Ocean that I love. When I do decide on a change I will buy secondhand from watchfinder or similar. I never lose any money on them. 

It’s the initial cost, once you have spend the money it’s easy to swap and change when you like with no real extra expense. 

How do you sell them though? 

Watch finder recently quoted me on a trade in and it was much less than I paid!