Omega or Rolex

djrwood

Obviously not to a dealer in most cases.

Some Rolex models have a massive waiting list, hence the used prices being so strong. More than the new prices in some cases.

Some dealers will hold back giving you the box and papers on a new purchase  to stop instant reselling and profiteering.

Lagerfelt hit the nail on the head with his quote 

"We have a product no one  needs, but everyone must have"

Fashion!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do you sell them though? 

Watch finder recently quoted me on a trade in and it was much less than I paid! 

I'd like to know the best place too as I have a Breitling that I don't wear very often so have been thinking of selling for a while now

14 hours ago, team tractor said:

Am I the only one who wonders why people spend so much on a watch  

Dont get me wrong I know it’s each to his own but can someone try and sell it to me. Please  . 

My watch cost £12 😀 and I love it as my good lady bought it me for Xmas as it’s connected to my phone texts . 

+1  I could not agree more, its totally lost on me too

Edited by Vince Green

Luxury watches are not good investments. In most cases they lose money over if you invested the same amount. Factor in service costs too.

In either brand you need to buy the right watch. Don't go for entry level Rolex not many want them.  Do your homework and watch plenty of YouTube watch collector channels to get a broad idea of what's what with both makes.

I've listened to a few people on luxury watches and if you have plenty of spare cash your mortgage etc is paid off then buy one.

If not pay the money off your debts it makes more financial sense.

If your putting it on the never never then it's silly.

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, mickyh said:

I bought my Seamaster for £900 six years ago. No box or papers.

Fair enough the chap was stuck for cash.

Last month in Southend a Jeweller offered me £1800 for it !

Cash, not a trade in.

My savings account pays .05%

No brainer really!

Definitely, you need a better savings account!:D

That's my rainy day quick access account.

Not much I'm there. Just enough for 'out of the blue' guns or watches.

But you get the point!

This is the best post so far!

27 minutes ago, poppythedog said:

Buy something you actually want then forget what it's worth & enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by mickyh

Hi

If you want to follow up an interest in Rolex watches nose into rolexforums.com - huge amount of information that will be helpful.

Pre-owned, like a new car lets the previousowner take the hit, thereafter, Sub-dates in steel hold and go up in value as a minimum.

Tudor, now that they are back in the Rolex fold (pretty sure I read this on a Forum) also have a good following again now.

Servicing costs sure suck, doesnt have to be as recommended though.....

L

6 hours ago, Deker said:

I'd like to know the best place too as I have a Breitling that I don't wear very often so have been thinking of selling for a while now

I don’t normally sell I px against another watch, last time it was a Omega Seamaster for the a planet Ocean. 

The next one though I have been looking at a Rolex Milgauss. 

19 hours ago, ph5172 said:

I think a watch (or a pen) for a gentleman is like a set of diamond earrings or necklace for a lady, normally gifted on a milestone - seems to be the big old 40. 

Edited to add I have a ‘nice’ watch but it’s not a Rolex or omega I used to save it for best but the good lady moaned I never wore it normally. First outing clouted the face on a wall and put a deep scratch in it. Hey ho!!

Yes wife bought me a nice 19th century silver hunter pocket watch for my 40th

18 hours ago, figgy said:

....In either brand you need to buy the right watch. Don't go for entry level Rolex not many want them..

Hmm...

116300 with blue dial. New 3235 movement ("most accurate ever") with 72 hour power reserve. About 8 month wait on this already.

On YouTube.

Edited by Eyefor

On 21/02/2019 at 08:15, das said:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer, lots of cred, brilliant timekeeper, no stupid service prices and a lot cheaper than a Rolex or Omega.
I had a Rolex GMT Master years ago and wasn't impressed with the timekeeping.

I have this exact watch with a pearl face, gold centre bracelet with silver/stainless on the outside and it looks very expensive, had it for 8 years, worn every day and still looks fantastic. 

On 21/02/2019 at 08:15, das said:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer, lots of cred, brilliant timekeeper, no stupid service prices and a lot cheaper than a Rolex or Omega.
I had a Rolex GMT Master years ago and wasn't impressed with the timekeeping.

i did tell you david about the clocks going back & forwards every year :whistling:

On 21/02/2019 at 15:14, poppythedog said:

Buy something you actually want then forget what it's worth & enjoy it for what it is.

+1 from me. I used to play the Rolex game and got extremely tired of being treated like dirt by dealers. It appeared to me ( purely my opinion) that Rolex need the 5-8K customers, but don’t actually want them. I moved all of mine along, I did make a profit as I refused to pay a “premium” for second hand and all were purchased off the waiting list, which for a SS black faced Sub is currently around 3 years. I now buy Bremont, fantastic quality, eye catching designs but most importantly the company actually value a customer. All of my watches are worn daily and get quite a beating but I just send them in for a £500 service at the 5 year point and they return like new.

Edited by Taileron

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:03, djrwood said:

Still toying with getting a luxury watch, the sort I can wear regularly but also one that won’t lose a shed load of money. Hence the question.....

i really fancy an omega speed master moon watch but it’s not that much more money to buy an entry level type Rolex, oyster perpetual or maybe an air king. 

Which do you think will be best at holding value on the long run?

thanks

used to use wrist watches smashed loads then went to pocket watches now as loads of people do I use an I phone 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:47, Lloyd90 said:

How do you sell them though? 

Watch finder recently quoted me on a trade in and it was much less than I paid!