Lorry hire

Benthejockey

Morning gentle folks of PW. We’re hopefully moving within the next month, it could be a fortnight or it could be 6 weeks it’s now pretty much dependant on the solicitors pushing bits of paper around. I can get a lot of stuff gone between now and then and stored in FIL’s garage and shed but obviously there’s still going to be a fair amount of stuff to go so I need a 7.5t wagon with a tail lift. Where’s the best place to rent one from? Or has anyone here got one they’d be willing to loan out for some cashhhhh? We’re Shropshire so the outer hebridies or Cornwall are probably a bit far to fetch one back from. 

59 minutes ago, terence said:

My be wrong but don't think you can hire a 7.5 ton without operaters 

licence 

Operator licence only required for Commercial ops, otherwise as long as you have D1 classification on your licence then your a good un.

No doubt Ben has as he must surely drive the odd large horse transporter ??

Sold my 7.5 ton box ages ago. Got access to a sprinter van but a big wagon would do the job in one go. Having moved using a horse box and a lorry with a tail lift the tail lift gets my vote every time! Tripping up the slats on a ramp carrying a washing machine makes you swear! The horrible walking glue pot I moved this morning DEFINITELY didn’t load itself! I can drive any rigid lorry, I would like to do my C+E but can’t justify the cost. I definitely don’t qualify for grandfathers rights for passing pre 97 - I was only 10. You only need the CPC for hire and reward and as I do neither nowadays I don’t need it or and operators license. And I think we might have found a local company. Phew!

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Sold my 7.5 ton box ages ago. Got access to a sprinter van but a big wagon would do the job in one go. Having moved using a horse box and a lorry with a tail lift the tail lift gets my vote every time! Tripping up the slats on a ramp carrying a washing machine makes you swear! The horrible walking glue pot I moved this morning DEFINITELY didn’t load itself! I can drive any rigid lorry, I would like to do my C+E but can’t justify the cost. I definitely don’t qualify for grandfathers rights for passing pre 97 - I was only 10. You only need the CPC for hire and reward and as I do neither nowadays I don’t need it or and operators license. And I think we might have found a local company. Phew!

This is what mates are for, many hands make light work, and make sure someone can drive what's needed, as you say bigger is better.

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

If we could afford it we’d use removals but we can’t justify or afford paying £1500+ For removals. 

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

This is what mates are for, many hands make light work, and make sure someone can drive what's needed, as you say bigger is better.

I would find a local haulier / courier company and see if they’ll do a day rate on a 7.5t box with driver 👍

4 minutes ago, cardigun said:

I don't have D1 on my license, even though I passed my Test in 1956.  Maybe they leave it off after you reach 75 ?

You have to pass a medical to keep it, a cost of £40-£160 or so depending where you go and if I remember rightly valid for three years above the age of 75 (might be less I’ve not worked in the field for a while).