Meat grinder delights

Ferret664

Well having got a meat grinder about 3 years ago and using it once then putting it in the cupboard I decided last week to get it back out and give it a whirl . Well since then.  I have made rabbit and pigeon burgers both amazingly tasty and simple just mincing with streaky smoked bacon , minced venison and made chilli and a delightful shepards pie . Now can't decide what else to put through it duck,  partridge,  pheasant, goose ? So many choices and so many fantastic recipes and meals can be had . What are others favourite things to do with minced meat ? Thinking of having a crack at some sausages soon 🤔 but never really had a tasty game sausage yet 🤔🤔

I use the course grinder on my machine for the contents of my game pies...think pork pies....raised hot crust pastry etc.    I have ground up about everything possible into these pies including apples, dates and apricots.  A 20% content belly pork or streaky smoked bacon is essential.  Raising hotcrust is very easy, you just have to get on quickly before it cools down or it will crumble.  A flat sided whisky glass is handy to get the crust nice and thin on the sides and I do mine in springform cases well greased.   Mine has a sausage making kit, that is why I purchased it, but to be honest I now buy my sausage as I have a supplier who makes the most amazing sausage.  Very useful machine...currys chillis pies etc etc.

9 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

I have and think its overseasoned for pigeons. 

Use a 50/50 Mix of pigeon and pork belly. You can chuck a few smoked rashers in if you like. Get some sausage skins off Amazon and if using tongmaster I'd go for a a less seasoned mix or just chuck some onions/leek and Apple into the mix with salt and pepper and see why happens.

Probably marry with cider for the liquid. Used rrd wine with thr game seasoning but as saif thr star anise or whateve it was was too much.

Keep it all as cold as possible.

You can buy the breadcrumbs online as well. Not difficult at all and very satisfying. 

Last year I also made burgers with the same ratio but using garlic, chill and ginger with corriander. Another version was with Apple thyme and rosemary. The latter I had fried in a pan like a rissol with mash tates and gravy. Very easy to do and makes the birds go a long way. Most have no idea its pigeon and have seconds before asking. All were surprised. 

Scott rea on YouTube is an interesting watch.