Anyone else onto the Canada’s.

Pigeon Shredder.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Youve just said it right there, he is controlling them as a pest species, he is not 'fowling'  and from what Ive read of his posts before , I dont believe he is seeking 'recognition'

Ive been asked several times to 'remove' Canadas that were fouling a cricket pitch, literally 100s of them , the pitch was un usable because of it, I declined due to the proximity to a busy footpath, but if I had done it , what was I supposed to do , eat them all ?

Although muntjac is  sought after meat, they can be a pest, you dont actually have to eat everything you shoot !

You are assuming from what he wrote, I didn't see the explanation and I haven't read previous posts, I hence checked and the poster was asking questions about legality of shooting Geese outside of the season only last year.

I am not opining on your post or what you have done before. You could have eaten them all, mixed with pork make great sausage rolls, but that is up to you and not what the post is/was about. 

Muntjac are not classified as Vermin, they can be shot all year round, but are still treated as a deer species with regards calibre size(*shotguns in rare circumstances which I won't go into here)

It's a forum not sure about leaving my morals anywhere, what's the point of the forum if we all agree.

If you and the original poster are not concerned about wasted resource and acting like shoots that dump birds into holes as they don't 'have to eat everything they shoot' then your attitudes will be the death of shooting as a whole and is not a good opinion to post on a relative public forum. 

7 hours ago, Richie10 said:

So why are you on here advertising that you are killing Geese that you have no idea what to do with them?

When they are pairing up they are at their most vulnerable. You'll be trotting out the cook them with a brick recipe next.

I have not stated that l have no idea what to do with them, breasted, marinated, roasted or crockpoted thank you very much.

Whats with the brick if l may ask 🤔

49 minutes ago, Richie10 said:

You are assuming from what he wrote, I didn't see the explanation and I haven't read previous posts, I hence checked and the poster was asking questions about legality of shooting Geese outside of the season only last year.

Which means what ?
You are making a judgement about why hes shooting them, and the waste of their meat, as long as hes doing nothing illegal its got nothing to do with you.

51 minutes ago, Richie10 said:

I am not opining on your post or what you have done before. You could have eaten them all, mixed with pork make great sausage rolls, but that is up to you and not what the post is/was about. 

Thats right , he was asking if anyone else was taking them, but you stepped in and questioned the moral and legal implications, thats your opinion, but NOT what the thread is about.
If he has a reason to cull them, he is doing no  wrong, and what he does with the carcass is his business.

55 minutes ago, Richie10 said:

If you and the original poster are not concerned about wasted resource and acting like shoots that dump birds into holes as they don't 'have to eat everything they shoot' then your attitudes will be the death of shooting as a whole and is not a good opinion to post on a relative public forum. 

I see youre now questioning what I do as regards wasting meat from quarry, but surely thats up to me ? I dont post about what I shoot regards quarry, thats my choice , some do and that is theirs, try to respect other peoples decisions about what they do.
Resources are wasted quite wantonly on a daily basis in this country, if it bothers you so much lobby the supermarkets, fast food outlets and farmers, saying that shooters are making any sort of impact in this regard is ridiculous, you sound more like an anti than someone who is involved in country pursuits.
There are more animals killed by being run over than shot, are they wasted too ?

All Canada geese shot by myself out of traditional wildfowling season are done so at the request of the landowners where they are creating a problem for the landowners.

If I refused to to this I’m sure they would soon get someone in who would and I would likely loose the permission I don’t see this as much different from  the corvid control I also carry out at this time of year again at the landowners request.

i have tried to eat Canada goose with little success and don’t loose any sleep over not putting them in the food chain likewise I don’t eat crows magpies or foxes.

vermin control is just a part of normal countywide practice.

I may be incorrect but believe that the GL only stops the 'close season' period and does not negate the Wildlife and Countryside act which no precludes the use of toxic metals for shooting wildfowl in any location/time in England and Wales.... also precludes the use of shotguns which have more than 1 in chamber 2 in mag.

may be worth checking before publicly discussing using 223 243 etc. (presume lead bullets)

6 minutes ago, nic said:

I may be incorrect but believe that the GL only stops the 'close season' period and does not negate the Wildlife and Countryside act which no precludes the use of toxic metals for shooting wildfowl in any location/time in England and Wales.... also precludes the use of shotguns which have more than 1 in chamber 2 in mag.

may be worth checking before publicly discussing using 223 243 etc. (presume lead bullets)

You might want to check that yourself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been asked to remove a few that are causing issues on a campsite/fishing lake, once I've fired a shot are the going to dissappear and never come back? Or will they come back in the time it takes to have a coffee? 

Not something I've done before so I'm unsure how they will behave. 

Thanks 

On 26/02/2019 at 18:42, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Whats with the brick if l may ask 🤔

Receipe for Canada goose,

Marinate, rest ontop of brick, cook at 200 for half an hour, throw goose away, eat brick.

Personally never had a problem eating goose if cooked right...