Sign in to follow this  
spurs 14

Isuzu d max

Hi all , anyone got the above or has had one , toying with the idea of getting one , maybe new , 5 year warranty and all that , saw one at shooting show and had a wander round a dealers today don’t seem to be doing any good deals on them but not badly priced ! Never had a new car or truck maybe time to treat myself !, any info would be appreciated 

I'm picking one up this weekend 'hopefully' 2012 though. Ticks all the boxes for me. Especially the Tax benefits etc

Has not got the grunt that the Ford Ranger has but is far better on fuel and is a better ride on the roads I have got both and would choose the Isuzu don't go for the new 1.9.

I’m about to start looking at trucks. But last year I test drove top of the range one found i couldn’t get comfy and lot of road and vehicle noise the sat nav was frustrating to use and no where near the advertised mpg 

shame as I like how they look 

3 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Has not got the grunt that the Ford Ranger has but is far better on fuel and is a better ride on the roads I have got both and would choose the Isuzu don't go for the new 1.9.

What engine in your ranger and what mpg you seeing if don’t mind me asking. 

Sorry to go off topic 

Tides edge , what’s the problem with the 1.9 engine , I just looked at brochures again and with the new trucks there’s no alternative, cheers

Ive got the new 1.9 auto, yukon as i didnt want too many electric gadgets and leather seats to get ruined. Getting 32 - 34mpg on an average,  Was going toyota but just didnt appeal to me this time. i just needed a run around, to be fair its a good ride,  good mpg, tows ok, 5 year warranty,  and solid, i hear theres an engine update that takes it up to 193bhp , but i think its a grand for that from Isuzu

Edited by mpmilo

That doesn’t sound too bad , got a defender at min which to be fair does all I want it too but can’t help thinking I could do it all in a bit more comfort ! 

I’m on my third, from new, or rather ex-demo.

This one is Blade Auto with Peddlar Lift suspension. Good for the hill farm ruts. 4wheel drive is excellent 

This one has just done over 36000 in 18 months.

Previous two did 60000 and 90000 plus..

Very pleased with them. The 1.9 engine is not as good on torque as the 2.5 but it still pulls well and the absence of Adblue is the main advantage for the smaller engine. It will still cruise all day at 70 on the Motorway.

My dad has had one for a few years now, 2.5 auto returning around 31mpg mixed driving, 4wd is excellent, not as refined as some of the competition but certainly feels more rugged, so much so that my dad is looking to get another one. The new 1.9 engine has a bit less torque but has a 6 speed auto box compared to the 2.5's 5 speed auto box. :good:

Edited by Ttfjlc

A mate had a new ranger with the three and a bit litre engine and was getting 12mpg. He replaced it with a defender and  now gets 19mpg doing the same work (lots of towing plant short hops and not driving remotely economically).

Another mate has the 1.9 dmax and reckons on low 30s for longer runs not towing, but they don’t drive hugely economically either. 

In both cases I would expect to get better fuel consumption than they do if I were driving. 

I've a dmax, had it about 2 months.

Love it TBH. 

Had a hilux before that went faulty within a week and sent it back.

Tried a ranger on a weekend demo which I loved as well but it was a top spec wild track with a auto box but it was thirsty compared to the dmax.

Generaly getting mid 30's although nursing it on a run have had up too 44mpg.

If money was no issues I'd probably go with the ranger as it drove like a car although situations and all I wouldn't part with this now.

I swapped from navara to d-max and would thoroughly recommend them. Imo they are main truck maker still aiming first & foremost at those who use them as workhorse, rather than school run or site managers...!

29 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I swapped from navara to d-max and would thoroughly recommend them. Imo they are main truck maker still aiming first & foremost at those who use them as workhorse, rather than school run or site managers...!

I have just swapped my 2.5 hilux (62 plate) for a 2.3 Navara (16 plate). The Hilux was not so bad on fuel at about 35 around the lanes but last year i did 14000 miles and wanted something better. This Navara if the computer is to be believed is in a different league. I drove it back from Severn Oaks last week 48 mpg. I filled it up and it gave a range of 725 miles and upto now has averaged overall 45 mpg. I cant believe it's so much better. It is lighter by about 100 kg and has a 6 speed box but I would not have thought that would make such a difference.