Campers

Dougy

Im after some advice on what generator to look into buying for our new holiday life style. 

Mrs dougy has had enough of flying after the last scare of pneumonia and a week in HD ward, so we going camping instead lol. And Buster is coming too  but we need a few luxury items,  big blow up bed, good seats washing machine and ironing board and maybe a TV ( not everyones cup of tea but the mrs is T total and wont go to a pub to socialize if it's raining) 

So it's got me looking at generators, must be quiet of course, but how big do I need ???

I know plenty of you folk on PW have more knowledge on this subject than I. 

Always go for a bit bigger than you need but not too big.

Only you know how much you need by the wattage of the items you want to run.

Add up the watts of all the items and add a bit for extras you may want to add. 

The new silent inverter generators are good.

47 minutes ago, Swinton said:

If the wife suffers with pneumonia.what a bout b&b . Or premier inn .itsometimrs cheaper than camping .

plus you don’t get wet going to loo 

Its not just the pneumonia. Its the carp of airports. 

We want the get up and go were we want, so b&b and hotels wont suit..plus we have 4 legged family. 

Wont get wet going to the loo, ive got a him and hers guzunder.

Edited by Dougy

12 hours ago, Swinton said:

If the wife suffers with pneumonia.what a bout b&b . Or premier inn .itsometimrs cheaper than camping .

+1 

Plan your trip, staying at the same place, or a roving tour of various points, there are some very good deals on Premier Inn if you pick the right times, sometimes as cheap as £30 a night per room.
Ive often done country tours where you pick a route stopping at various points for the night then moving on the next, all using Premier inn.
Nottingham - Newcastle- Edinburgh- Fort William-Glasgow-Carlisle-Kendal -Nottingham being a week long example taking in some great cities, the Lake district and some of the best parts of Scotland.
No setting up tents, no lugging generators about, a comfy bed, with a big telly and your choice of breakfast, yes theres a bit of driving every day, but a trip like this limits it to around 3 hours a day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=premier+inn+map&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rlla=0&rlhsc=CiAIz_WlvpK4yL-VAQjTtN-F6Jnbl7IBCO3oypTJ2NP5AjAC&rllag=52974669,-1146687,2890&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwj_1M6Els_gAhVSVBUIHcjDDu4QtgN6BAgAEAU&hotel_dates=2019-03-24,2019-03-25&tbs=lf_hd:-1,lrf:!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:7&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:2019-03-24,2019-03-25;si:;mv:!1m2!1d53.47367410085731!2d-1.2396155123185508!2m2!1d52.8487443197854!2d-2.725516391224801!4m2!1d53.16234655210459!2d-1.9825659517716758!5i10

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

We done air bnb when we went to cornwall. She was happy to except dogs, and did work out cheaper than camping which shocked me 

Will be using it again 

It very much depends on what you looked at.

You can camp in Cornwall from about £10 per night to £100 per night and everything in between. All all depends on location and quality. 

1 minute ago, Wb123 said:

If you like peace and quiet don’t spoil it with a generator. Take a reasonably sized battery and rig up a split charging circuit on the car then use an inverter. 

Well, having a geni running for a couple of hours is far better than a night in premier inn with Buster the Lab stuck downstairs in the truck. 

Getting the power your way would end up with a chard metal tent frame and an insurance claim for a burned out pickup. 

Look at Camping and Caravan club sites they have lots of little farm sites CS from as little as £6 a night. Around £38 a year membership. You will save that on site fees the first holiday you go compared to big sites. Most of them allow dogs and some have designated dog walks too and dog bins. The search feature on their website is excellent.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseekersearch/aspx/search.aspx

We have a 800w generated we got from Machine Mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ig950-800w-inverter-generator/

It's very quiet. We use it down the wood in Winter when the Sun is too low and days to short to rely on solar power to keep the caravan battery charged up. It's great to charge battery power tools up too.

5 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Look at Camping and Caravan club sites they have lots of little farm sites CS from as little as £6 a night. Around £38 a year membership. You will save that on site fees the first holiday you go compared to big sites. Most of them allow dogs and some have designated dog walks too and dog bins. The search feature on their website is excellent.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseekersearch/aspx/search.aspx

We have a 800w generated we got from Machine Mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ig950-800w-inverter-generator/

It's very quiet. We use it down the wood in Winter when the Sun is too low and days to short to rely on solar power to keep the caravan battery charged up. It's great to charge battery power tools up too.

Thanks for that, been looking through some of the sites, i think its going to be  caravan club job. 

If we turn up at a site and someone tells me no tents, i suppose it means I cant camp there. 

So,

I'll move on no big deal, if I pitch my tent and get told to move on then, oh dear we have a problem. 

I suppose you would find out through the booking sites before turning up anyway. Unless it really is that complicated.