I'm after a very cheap first scope for a youngster.

jam1e

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get hold of a very cheap (as possible) scope for a young teenager who's the son of a friend. The son got interested in shooting from going with me a couple of times just to shoot targets at that point. And after chatting with his Dad who used to target shoot air rifles, he agreed to allow me to give his son an old but good working order SMK break barrel in .22. He's had the gun for around 6 months now. He's only been given it on the basis that his Dad has possession of it, and he only uses it when supervised by me or his Dad. Now he's got to grips with safely using the gun and the open sights, he's been hinting at a scope. I know the family doesn't have a great deal of cash to splash about, hence giving him the air rifle. But a few days back i gave his Dad a       4 x 40 Nikko Sterling Silver Crown and some cheap mounts i had. Unfortunately the reticle is stuck and it wont zero, or adjust. I feel a tad bad about this, but i had no idea or other scope that i could give him. So i'm hoping a PW member has an old but good working order 4x32 or 4x40 scope they're willing to sell/donate plus post. 

Any takers out their please drop me a PM.

Cheers

Jamie

Just to be up front, I have asked the same on another forum.

Unfortunately not got a cheap scope available Jamie but have you had a look at the original scope or are you being told it won't adjust. Could it be that it's just run out of adjustment, I slight bit of barrel droop with a break barrel rifle and you're into shimming/bodging territory.

Failing that you could try unscrewing the turrets/adjusters as far as they will go then giving the scope a bit of a rap to free up the mechanism, you really have nothing to lose.

The adjusters push down on a spring loaded tube, the tube may well be stuck if it's not been adjusted for ages.

On 22/02/2019 at 09:41, 1066 said:

Unfortunately not got a cheap scope available Jamie but have you had a look at the original scope or are you being told it won't adjust. Could it be that it's just run out of adjustment, I slight bit of barrel droop with a break barrel rifle and you're into shimming/bodging territory.

Failing that you could try unscrewing the turrets/adjusters as far as they will go then giving the scope a bit of a rap to free up the mechanism, you really have nothing to lose.

The adjusters push down on a spring loaded tube, the tube may well be stuck if it's not been adjusted for ages.

Hi Allan,

That is so spooky! I did almost everything you said. In the end i give it a good tap top and side. Unfortunately It broke the fine wire reticle. So i removed the internal turrets. It was quite enlightening to see how the basics work. I still follow your work Allan. You are a rare genius!                    Regards.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Jamie                                                                                            

Thank you Jamie - I keep busy and always got a new idea to be working on. Sorry to hear about the scope but hope you learned something with the dissecting experience. Current projects include making  a new scale from scratch incorporating several new ideas and designing a wireless target camera system for a local range. Also started doinga bit of benchrest shooting so yesterday designed and made a single shot adapter for my old BSA R10 air rifle.

New scales - about half done:

jZQDinLl.jpg?1

rxFSDocl.jpg

and 3d printed shooting specs:

w2Q3s50l.jpg

qUURP7Yl.jpg

Regards

Allan

All sorted for a scope now folks. Apologies for some late replies i've been unwell...

Love the new Work Allan. Especially the stanley type blade for the balance part of the beam, (I forget the official name of the parts).

Thanks to the people that offered and thanks for the pictures Allan. Love the camera idea!

Remembers folks, I have an Eiber sbs 12 bore going free to any youngster starting out, or especially any disabled shooters needing help to get started.

Thanks.

Jamie