First effort

Walker570

Picked up the piece of brass hex that Tightchoke donated and had a play on the lathe this morning. Now let us get this clear, I have no lathe training other than myself so do your worst.

The idea was to turn up a more substantial bolt handle for my AA S200 air rifle, as it was TT gave me enough to have a number of attempts and this is the first.  I need to give it a final polish and it needs easing inside to allow it to fit properly, but altogether not disappointed.  If it looks heavy, it isn't as I have drilled out the centre and even as is where it will not quite go on far enough to get the fixing screw on (need to machine out the inside a bit more ..being careful originally not to go too far) ...it feels good, certainly better than the plastic handle fitted as standard.   A final polish and I think this one may do but I might just do another with the hadle a little bit longer. A job for one of those wet days head ....don't be fooled by this lovely spring weather it ain't the end of March yet.

002.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

I know !! I know!!  Ditchie would have stretched this to two weeks and 500 pictures:rolleyes:

Not quite fitted. You can see it has to go a little bit further onto the bolt, so I need to run a reamer down inside carefully because there isn't musch to play with.

It does feel a lot better than the insy winsy plastic one but there again I have hands like oversized dustbin lids.

013.JPG

015.JPG

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You don't hang around Mate!

Very nice work.

Had a couple of hours this morning before going to a funeral so made use of it.  Many thanks for the material  and hope your lad can use the bits I brought over.

That looks excellent. I had a Drummond lathe for a short time, but I was less than useless on it - far too impatient. I bought another small lathe last year and had a another junior go. I was better - just slightly - so that went too. Not enough room in my garage for stuff that won't be used regularly.

IMG_20190222_143247.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

12 hours ago, amateur said:

Looks really excellent. 

If you are concerned about opening up the bore too much with a reamer, how about using some very fine emery cloth on a split rod to ease it out very gently?

It is th depth that is too shallow and very easy to go right through if ham fisted, then it would be start again.  Thanks for the advice though.

2 hours ago, MacSxS said:

Looks really good. And I hope you don't mind me saying but. It's best practice to work the part a little closer to the chuck.its safer and you will get a more accurate/better finish.

Agree, but as it was being brass it didn't move at all with light strokes and super accuracy was not required for the handle.  Now I have fiddled with it a bit I think I am going to make another and make the handle about an 1/8th inch longer...doesn't sound much but I have plenty of bar stock so can go it a third time if that doesn't do it.

If you have a rotating centre, that would support the piece safely whilst you are turning it, although, as you say, brass turns so sweetly, with light cuts it shouldn't be a problem.

Is it the clearance on the off-centre hole that is the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks nice that Nev, did you do another one?

Might sound a little cack handed but you could hold the bolt you've made in the tool post and tool in the chuck to alter the depth, if you can get it all level etc, might be easier than drilling it?