Day out.

Scully

Not sure whether this should be here or in the clay shooting section really, but anyhow, mate and me had a little trip down to Malmo yesterday morning following a good breakfast at Tebay South. I really enjoy visiting this shop and even though we got there early enough it was already quite busy. 

There was a bloke in mid deal of trying to trade in two expensive guns ( a Perazzi and a Blaser ) for what appeared to be a very expensive Browning game gun, and while mate looked for a swivel for the end cap of his AL391 I immediately turned right to where I knew any Perazzis they had in would be. A couple of very nice examples in and had my first handle of a Krieghoff. Nice enough gun and this one way out of my price league ( unless I sold the Landrover! ) and I must admit I struggled to see where that cost was, but what do I know? 

There are some very nice guns in there to cater for all tastes and pockets, including a very nice original condition Winchester Super Grade Trap for less than 500 quid! 

Anyhow, after buying some trap cartridges we headed back up towards Crabtree. It must have been a while since I was last here as I was surprised to see there is now a purpose built club house incorporating a small shop, and now clays are logged via a plug in socket and paid for on return, similar to Westlands. The car park was full which wasn't surprising as nice weather tends to bring everyone out, and it was nice enough to sit out and soak up a few rays. The Sporting lay out was surprisingly quiet; most folk seemed to be shooting the FITASC (?) , DTL and beginners stands, so we very rarely had to wait at a stand.  

We both did the first round with self loaders, this being the first try out on clays I'd had with this gun, having only fired two shots at duck prior to this. I seem to be developing a liking for tight chokes and had full in the Benelli, which coupled with no8 shot turned most things I hit into dust. There are a lot of loopers in this layout, which proved deceiving as they always needed more lead than it appeared they would, and we had great fun with the driven grouse butt and in fact spent most of our money shooting the six targets it comprised of! Great fun. 

After a brew in the sun we swapped for OU's and did it all again, but this time shot the FITASC/Sportrap (?). Really enjoyable. 

MY 3200 trap gun and its much higher comb isn't quite as nimble as my sporter on the driven grouse but it is still doable with practice, but it excelled on the rapidly going away midi. Some good targets and we seemed to get through four hundred cartridges in no time! Can recommend this ground to those who haven't  been. A really good easy going set up.

It was nice to see a lot of women there, with their own guns, rather than 'having a go' with their partners guns, including two young lasses having a whale of a time on the driven grouse butt. I was also pleased to see quite a few kids there. 

I unexpectedly ended up in Malmo too on Saturday morning as well, having had to take a break from something we were doing just down the road. 

The one day I could have got away with the wife seeing me buy another gun is the day I don’t have my ticket with me... 😪

Bought from them in the past and they’re great to deal with.  

Bought my first gun......S1 B725 sporter from there 2 years ago. Very helpful and knowledgable.

big advantage is that if you see a gun you fancy buying you can take it out the back and try it

we also get most of our cartridges from there

my mate has been going there for years, I only started 2.5 years ago, we went in the 'back room' that he didn't know existed where there were even more guns