anyone reload 7.62x54r

hi chaps anyone reloading for 7.62x56r I have brass and dies I was going to load some 7.62 tracers into but it turns out they measure at .308 I've pulled a bullet from some mil serp 7.62x54r and that measures .310 now the tracers im sure will be fine loaded with a crimp but could I load ppu fmj bullets I have for the .303which measure at .311the only ppu bullets listed for 7.62 are 125grain but id like 150grn at least.

also does anyone have data for n140 and the above cartridge vihtavouri do not list it.

thanks martyn

Vihtavouri do not list the 7.62 x 54R, but they do list the 7.62 x 53R which is basically the same cartridge. In the Winter War of 1939 the Finns captured many thousands of Mosin Nagants which they rebuilt with new barrels of, I believe, a nominal 0.310" bore as opposed to the 0.312" bore of the Mosin. They called the rechambered rifles 7.62 x 53R, but they still fired captured stocks of Soviet 7.62 x 54R rounds from them.

You should be fine using the 7.62 x 53R load data and using the 0.311" PPU bullets you have for your 303. Any doubts, email Vihtavouri.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:38, nagantino said:

74 grains of Varget was my Load.

74?? You say "was" - was that when you still had fingers & the rifle wasn't in twenty pieces?
Without even digging out the reference books I'd say that is a VERY compressed load = maybe 47 would be closer (again, without checking ANY books - so DON'T use that as load data!!)

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:40, TriBsa said:

Vihtavouri do not list the 7.62 x 54R, but they do list the 7.62 x 53R which is basically the same cartridge. In the Winter War of 1939 the Finns captured many thousands of Mosin Nagants which they rebuilt with new barrels of, I believe, a nominal 0.310" bore as opposed to the 0.312" bore of the Mosin. They called the rechambered rifles 7.62 x 53R, but they still fired captured stocks of Soviet 7.62 x 54R rounds from them.

7,62x53R is not basically the same, it IS the same:  The actual case length for both is 53.5mm - the Finns went down to 53, the Russians up to 54...but it's the same ammo.

The FIRST true Finnish made Mosins pre-date the Winter War by quite some time, at least 15 years....as a lot of the M91 rifles seized from the Russians/Soviets in the 1917 Independence War & the Bolshevik uprising were rebuilt in the early 20's - the first true Finnish rifle being the M24 = nicknamed the Lotta rifle as the female Lotta Svard raised the funds to have the work done. (They were a like a cross between the Women's Institute & the TA)

The Finns had two main factories to do the rifle upgrades & new builds. State Factory 1 & Home Guard Factory 1; these would in turn change names to, SAKO and TikkaKoski (meaning Woodpecker Rapids, after the location). The other factory at VKT eventually morphed into its current entity, Valmet. All three still well known makers of high quality products.

My Finnish rifles tend to slug at around .3095" - and most of the Finnish reference books DO state that the nominal bore dia of Finnish barrels is .3095"
Even my M91B with a Belgian made barrel slugs at that size.

THE official issue bullet of the WW2 Finnish military is still in production too - the Lapua D46

Tracer? The Finns bought some 10 million or so .303 tracer as WW1 surplus from us - this was in turn pulled apart as a source of powder - and the .330 tracer bullets were used to make 7.62x53R tracer ammo. Not too big a departure from the big scheme of things as the UK made a lot of 7.62x54R ammo in WW1 & WW2 for export to Russia, etc. Greenwood & Batley being possibly the biggest supplier, but Kynoch & others make it too.

@SPARKIE
If you have not done so, try to do a bore slug to confirm dia.
Also, check out "the load" information online - for most military .30-cal or similar, you use a lead bullet of standard weight & either 16gr of 2400 or 13gr of Red Dot. Good for up to 300m or so.
If your Mosin is a newer one or a Soviet, you may be better trying a Lapua of bigger dia or the Sierra Match King or Game King .303 bullets

Best of luck with it

1 hour ago, saddler said:

Tried finding any for sale recently??
None been brought in for a while now

The lead bullet route is on par with .22lr prices

Honesty no,  lafter the 7 cent 303british dried up I didn’t take no chance.  I am setting on about 10k  rounds of 762x54r. 

Edit:  holy **** I just looked it up.  Mosins are dead to me now. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

9 hours ago, BinaryB said:

You wouldn’t be able to fit 74 grains in the case.

Not quite..
What you need to do is chamber a primed case, pour the powder in from the muzzle, ram the bullet down until it's compressing the powder...then get some ****** who doesn't owe you money to test fire it while everyone watches from a safe distance.
Extra points if you can get it all on HQ DVD for playback at the gun club Xmas party

3 minutes ago, saddler said:

Not quite..
What you need to do is chamber a primed case, pour the powder in from the muzzle, ram the bullet down until it's compressing the powder...then get some ****** who doesn't owe you money to test fire it while everyone watches from a safe distance.
Extra points if you can get it all on HQ DVD for playback at the gun club Xmas party

😂🤣😂🤣

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:34, saddler said:

74?? You say "was" - was that when you still had fingers & the rifle wasn't in twenty pieces?
Without even digging out the reference books I'd say that is a VERY compressed load = maybe 47 would be closer (again, without checking ANY books - so DON'T use that as load data!!)

7,62x53R is not basically the same, it IS the same:  The actual case length for both is 53.5mm - the Finns went down to 53, the Russians up to 54...but it's the same ammo.

The FIRST true Finnish made Mosins pre-date the Winter War by quite some time, at least 15 years....as a lot of the M91 rifles seized from the Russians/Soviets in the 1917 Independence War & the Bolshevik uprising were rebuilt in the early 20's - the first true Finnish rifle being the M24 = nicknamed the Lotta rifle as the female Lotta Svard raised the funds to have the work done. (They were a like a cross between the Women's Institute & the TA)

The Finns had two main factories to do the rifle upgrades & new builds. State Factory 1 & Home Guard Factory 1; these would in turn change names to, SAKO and TikkaKoski (meaning Woodpecker Rapids, after the location). The other factory at VKT eventually morphed into its current entity, Valmet. All three still well known makers of high quality products.

My Finnish rifles tend to slug at around .3095" - and most of the Finnish reference books DO state that the nominal bore dia of Finnish barrels is .3095"
Even my M91B with a Belgian made barrel slugs at that size.

THE official issue bullet of the WW2 Finnish military is still in production too - the Lapua D46

Tracer? The Finns bought some 10 million or so .303 tracer as WW1 surplus from us - this was in turn pulled apart as a source of powder - and the .330 tracer bullets were used to make 7.62x53R tracer ammo. Not too big a departure from the big scheme of things as the UK made a lot of 7.62x54R ammo in WW1 & WW2 for export to Russia, etc. Greenwood & Batley being possibly the biggest supplier, but Kynoch & others make it too.

@SPARKIE
If you have not done so, try to do a bore slug to confirm dia.
Also, check out "the load" information online - for most military .30-cal or similar, you use a lead bullet of standard weight & either 16gr of 2400 or 13gr of Red Dot. Good for up to 300m or so.
If your Mosin is a newer one or a Soviet, you may be better trying a Lapua of bigger dia or the Sierra Match King or Game King .303 bullets

Best of luck with it

well I ended up with a dedicated 1 cal book with all the data I needed.

id been using Russian and Chinese milserp ammo but the groups were terrible so I pulled a bullet measured it and found they were the same as my 174grain ppu .303 bullets.

I got a load for them tweaked it and have a half decent shooting rifle now. I also loaded some 7.62 milserp tracers and was hitting 1000yrd targets at gardners with them also with my 1918 .303 Enfield smle while some of the fcsa lads looked on.

due to were there this weekend with the pw masses ive loaded a load more to play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 23:25, NoBodyImportant said:

Honesty no,  lafter the 7 cent 303british dried up I didn’t take no chance.  I am setting on about 10k  rounds of 762x54r. 

Edit:  holy **** I just looked it up.  Mosins are dead to me now. 

Russian milsurp has just about dried up in UK or maybe there are trade restrictions?  I'm sitting on several hundred 7.62x45r bought couple of years ago from a shooting show and was sold in the corned beef tin (you know what i mean). It isn't terribly accurate when used through my abused 1934 Nagant and you do need to thoroughly clean the barrel afterward,but it goes bang.

It was always great for cheap plinking and when this all goes i'll probably switch to cheap Wolf ammo. Not sure i will ever home-load this calibre because the gun would never see the benefit.