Jump to content
rayo

Still like my springers

Recommended Posts

After owning a AA s400 .177 for a few months I find it incredibly accurate but I still yearn for a springer as well . I have an old BSA Mercury from the late 70,s and although in my hands is not as accurate as the 400 . I think ill be looking at the HW77/97 or AA TX200 to add to my armoury in the future  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep ,couldnt agree more mate,i've got a HW100s ,a couple of 12 gauge o/u shotguns and a semi-auto 12 gauge, my go to air rifle is an Air Arms pro-sport in .177 .The day when i cant find a space in my cabinet for a decent springer is the day i'll pack it in.

Edited by Jega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the merc is not as good as the merc "s" model.......and allll merc's need to be fettled to make them shoot sweet and aim straight...got a merc s and hw 77...love em to bits i do..:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have plenty of pcps .

But still like my 3 springers .

Bsa xl lightening 

Air rms Tx 200 hc

 Weirauch Hw30 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dekers said:

Nothing wrong with liking a springer.  :good:

 

Had springers for 30 years then got a Labrador 😊 Have my Rapid but also my bsa 635 in .25 makes a refreshing change, doesn't put holes in cans , puts caves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy my springers and I will always reach for one when plinking especially. There's a bit more skill involved and I find them more rewarding.

I've had a TX200 since 1994 and it's never been opened. After many thousands of pellets it's extremely smooth and still over 11ft lbs. Brilliant. Buy one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had my hw77 for 26 years cannot count how springs its had. stock i have redone 3 times and 000s of pellets. but still shoots great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd really how I hankered for another springer after finding PCP's just too clinical. I posted a thread a short while back about "going back to basics" as it were by buying an older Spring powered Puffstick and using it for the occasional Squirrel foray. Duly picked up a nice Original 35 (a gun I have wanted for over 30 years!) and was mightily impressed by it's condition and quality (the weight was a little surprising as was the size of the beast - always remembered them as being rather diminutive :hmm:) - Anyhoo - despite sounding rather impressive I was disappointed by the power (7ftlb) and accuracy - 2" + over 25 yards so off she went for a service. With the Mrs still swearing that £75 had somehow disappeared from the account (:whistling:) I got the gun back and fitted her up with a very nice period Scope courtesy of a PW member and a one piece Ebay special mount (£9!!! - new) so, finally, the fun could begin. First 100 or so shots were not showing much promise but, bit by bit, the group sizes shrunk to a point where I can put 10 in a 1" circle every time and power has settled at 10.5 with AA Fields - so I now have enough confidence in the 35 to shoot vermin.......or do I? The gun has been ready and waiting to splat Nutty now for a good few months but there is a problem that I never, in a million years, predicted - every single time I put the 35 in my gun bag to go, I always end up slipping the S410 out when I get to the woods - I have come to rely so totally on the S410 and it's ability to simply do the job time and time again that it has become an essential tool and I honestly cannot see the 35 ever leaving my garden :unhappy:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does that matter? Enjoy some tin bashing, paper punching without wasting air as it was. I don't tend to plink with the rapid, she comes out maybe fires a mag, then goes away, or as you say goes to the woods.

treat yourself to a spinner and see how challenging you can make it, then try with the laser 👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something special about springers. They get under your skin! As a lad i spent hours shooting the likes of BSA Cub, Meteor, Falcon, Relum Tornado (not so good) Diana, Original 45. As a teenager is was Weihrauch hw35e and others. Loads of fun with Airsporters in different guises shooting rats on pig farms. Then the PCP turned up, I guess mid 70's? The first one i owned was a Falcon and at the time it blew all the springers i had ever shot into oblivion in terms of accuracy. This gun now is pretty poor compared with newer PCP's. A chap i know quite  well lost his father and i recently acquired a .22 Falcon Prairie. I had the gun looked at an the seals were replaced and a few tweaks were make here and there and bob's your uncle it shoots nicely.  I have other PCP's one of which is a .25 FAC Air  gun. The thing is phenomenal but really has a specialist use. What i'm really after is a "house" gun. Something i can leave close to hand so the squirrels, magpies,Jays, mice and the odd rat can be shot from the back door or from one of the upstairs windows. I want that gun to be a springer. Ditchy and i had a good ol' mardle about this in his shed this afternoon.              

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot loads of pcp but only owned two, can't be bothered with the charging and air leaks and general problems they all seem to have. Rapids always seem bad, full forums and specialists on how to tune one so it performs.. At £800 it should be the dogs bits straight from the box 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Shot loads of pcp but only owned two, can't be bothered with the charging and air leaks and general problems they all seem to have. Rapids always seem bad, full forums and specialists on how to tune one so it performs.. At £800 it should be the dogs bits straight from the box 

I'll bite, bought my Rapid in the late 90s 98/99 i think, I've yet to change a seal, thing is there supposed to be easy to mess with so people do. I am thinking of getting a service though, and the Rapid forum is amazing, its obviously clicky and specialized because its 97% rapids but there are some great blokes on there.

4 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

There's something special about springers. They get under your skin! As a lad i spent hours shooting the likes of BSA Cub, Meteor, Falcon, Relum Tornado (not so good) Diana, Original 45. As a teenager is was Weihrauch hw35e and others. Loads of fun with Airsporters in different guises shooting rats on pig farms. Then the PCP turned up, I guess mid 70's? The first one i owned was a Falcon and at the time it blew all the springers i had ever shot into oblivion in terms of accuracy. This gun now is pretty poor compared with newer PCP's. A chap i know quite  well lost his father and i recently acquired a .22 Falcon Prairie. I had the gun looked at an the seals were replaced and a few tweaks were make here and there and bob's your uncle it shoots nicely.  I have other PCP's one of which is a .25 FAC Air  gun. The thing is phenomenal but really has a specialist use. What i'm really after is a "house" gun. Something i can leave close to hand so the squirrels, magpies,Jays, mice and the odd rat can be shot from the back door or from one of the upstairs windows. I want that gun to be a springer. Ditchy and i had a good ol' mardle about this in his shed this afternoon.              

I probably shot more with my Webley tracker than anything else, and a bsa super sport with open sights, hours of fun. Keep looking at Pro Sports, going to treat myself at some point when one comes up near by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'll bite, bought my Rapid in the late 90s 98/99 i think, I've yet to change a seal, thing is there supposed to be easy to mess with so people do. I am thinking of getting a service though, and the Rapid forum is amazing, its obviously clicky and specialized because its 97% rapids but there are some great blokes on there.

I probably shot more with my Webley tracker than anything else, and a bsa super sport with open sights, hours of fun. Keep looking at Pro Sports, going to treat myself at some point when one comes up near by.

Yep when funds allow, a pro sport is on my hit list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2019 at 17:00, Whitebridges said:

There's something special about springers. They get under your skin! As a lad i spent hours shooting the likes of BSA Cub, Meteor, Falcon, Relum Tornado (not so good) Diana, Original 45. As a teenager is was Weihrauch hw35e and others. Loads of fun with Airsporters in different guises shooting rats on pig farms. Then the PCP turned up, I guess mid 70's? The first one i owned was a Falcon and at the time it blew all the springers i had ever shot into oblivion in terms of accuracy. This gun now is pretty poor compared with newer PCP's. A chap i know quite  well lost his father and i recently acquired a .22 Falcon Prairie. I had the gun looked at an the seals were replaced and a few tweaks were make here and there and bob's your uncle it shoots nicely.  I have other PCP's one of which is a .25 FAC Air  gun. The thing is phenomenal but really has a specialist use. What i'm really after is a "house" gun. Something i can leave close to hand so the squirrels, magpies,Jays, mice and the odd rat can be shot from the back door or from one of the upstairs windows. I want that gun to be a springer. Ditchy and i had a good ol' mardle about this in his shed this afternoon.              

Is that legal in sheds ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...