Rokon Trailbreaker

Gordon R

My family's motorcycling days are over - youngest broke tib/ fib and shoulder blade - eldest broke his back - I got septicaemia and MRSA.

The bike was the same as the photo, but with bits missing. The Rokon was in a friend's workshop, when we called. I was after some welding on a KTM hub. Turns out it is magnesium and uneconomic to repair. Baz restores old motocross bikes mainly and actually makes frames and exhausts from scratch.

On 28/02/2019 at 23:56, Gordon R said:

My family's motorcycling days are over - youngest broke tib/ fib and shoulder blade - eldest broke his back - I got septicaemia and MRSA.

The bike was the same as the photo, but with bits missing. The Rokon was in a friend's workshop, when we called. I was after some welding on a KTM hub. Turns out it is magnesium and uneconomic to repair. Baz restores old motocross bikes mainly and actually makes frames and exhausts from scratch.

That is fair enough Gordon R im sorry your biking days are over that must be a difficult one to acept.  Have you thought about perhaps Riding something like a old classic british bike, or european bike perhaps, rather than the more modern higher powered stuff. Just an idea to keep you in the game im thinking.

I did consider an older bike - my last was a Cagiva Super Moto - but I wouldn't put my wife through the worry again. I came very close to death - an hour away according to the quack. I also got knocked off the bike a couple of times by car drivers. One complained I had my headlight on - after he emerged from a side street to wipe me out.

The standard of driving has deteriorated in the last decade - all age groups and genders. It just isn't safe enough for me to risk it. I have seriously considered trials bikes for me and the youngest - he keeps dropping broad hints. My problem was that I was a mediocre rider on trials and motocross bikes, whereas my lads were at expert level.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I did consider an older bike - my last was a Cagiva Super Moto - but I wouldn't put my wife through the worry again. I came very close to death - an hour away according to the quack. I also got knocked off the bike a couple of times by car drivers. One complained I had my headlight on - after he emerged from a side street to wipe me out.

The standard of driving has deteriorated in the last decade - all age groups and genders. It just isn't safe enough for me to risk it. I have seriously considered trials bikes for me and the youngest - he keeps dropping broad hints. My problem was that I was a mediocre rider on trials and motocross bikes, whereas my lads were at expert level.

Blimey, how does that work? I can never understand why any Biker fails to have it on, surely any split second extra awareness by the car driver has got to be a good move.

TIGHTCHOKE - I was at a loss as to why my headlight affected him. He didn't say it dazzled him - that was not possible. I asked what he was doing - not very politely, it has to be said - he replied "You had your headlight on", as if that passed as acceptable for him to hit me. We did not part on good terms. I was slightly hurt and feeling fed up - whereas he thought he had done nothing wrong.

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2019 at 13:57, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey, how does that work? I can never understand why any Biker fails to have it on, surely any split second extra awareness by the car driver has got to be a good move.

Headlights make you look further away than you really are on a bike, or so my Police instructor told me. Still a poor excuse though.

On 04/03/2019 at 13:53, Gordon R said:

Used to ride professionaly and watching the antics of drivers these days you would not catch me out on the streets two wheeled....even on a pushbike. Scary enough in a Land Rover  ...thinking about a Cow Catcher on mine.  My previous traIning saves me getting into an accident situation three or four times a week.  BUT, there again I watched a motorcyclist weaving between trucks on Thursday afternoon down the M6 and four or five times he came close to being mincemeat.  My old instructor at Stafford PoliceTraining School always said,

" DO NOT PUT THE MEAT IN THE SANDWICH"

Have visions of chains flying here and there on that bike. Had a couple on my old force Triumph at speed and it ain't funny.

Edited by Walker570

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have visions of chains flying here and there on that bike. Had a couple on my old force Triumph at speed and it ain't funny.

I doubt if you would go fast enough on the Rokon for a chain to go flying, probably just drop irretrievably in the gloop.

On the only occasion (so far) that I lost a final drive chain, it dropped conveniently on to road with no other damage and fortunately I carried a spare split link.

I lost a friend through exactly the same circumstances, a car driver pulling out of a minor road. He broad sided her at around 120mph. He was on a Police motor cycle course at the time.

Gordon, did they make a miniature bike called the Rocon 'Tommy,'  by any chance   ?

Edited by Westley