Barrel for auto feeder

Looking for recommendations, we don’t visit out duck ponds much due to them being inaccessible  but currently have a oil drum as the barrel for our auto feeder, I was wondering if there was anything bigger that I could use that is readily available, I can get plenty oil drums but they run out reasonably quickly 

Makes filling abit tricky but weld another 45 on top.  I cut the top six inches off a 45, then put  crimp on the edge so that the piece cut off acts as a lid and slides over.

You could do this with the top barrel and just cut the bottom out. so it made one tall feeder.  Picture shows a standard short model but just add that to the top of another 45.

The lids work brilliant and are wind and waterproof. I make the stands separate so the drums just slide in betwen the extended legs.

004.jpg

024.JPG

On 24/02/2019 at 21:52, Walker570 said:

Makes filling abit tricky but weld another 45 on top.  I cut the top six inches off a 45, then put  crimp on the edge so that the piece cut off acts as a lid and slides over.

You could do this with the top barrel and just cut the bottom out. so it made one tall feeder.  Picture shows a standard short model but just add that to the top of another 45.

The lids work brilliant and are wind and waterproof. I make the stands separate so the drums just slide in betwen the extended legs.

004.jpg

024.JPG

They are awesome! 

I need some pheasant feeders so i think I think I’ll do this anyway, tons of oil drums at work 

Yes, use the closed top ones with just the filler holes. Cut 6 inches off the BOTTOM as tht does not have any opening. Then I welded a 6 inch piece of 30 mil heavyish box section to an 18 inch similar material.  Then cut a slot in the short piece which will slide ovr the barrel material and make this slot about 5 inches ...place the slot over the edge of the barrel and without much force turn the handle to the side, you will find this will put a kink i it. Move the 'tool' up, lining the slot with the edge of the 'kink' and bend the other way, with a very little practise you can make a relly good job of reducing the size of the top of the barrel and the lid you have cut will just slide over neat and tidy.  I make the pheasant feeders now like the light blue one and it holds a couple of bags of corn.  The feed tray I make out of any spare bits of barrel I might have about as can be seen by the Castrol advert. You can, I hope, see from the photo how I make the 'table' for the barrel, makes moveing them easy. and I have yet to have a deer or badger knock one over.   If you accept having the screw caps on the lid thn you can make two 'dumpy' feeders from two barrels, just cut one in half and crimp both pieces, then cut two six inch lids froma second barrel and you will have quite abit of spare metl for making the feeder trays.

Squirrel proof and badger muntie proof if you weld some square reinforcing wire mesh around the legs.

An idea for feeding ducks, there are some calf feeders about, about 12 inch square..3ft high, plastic material with a feed tray at the bottom and adjustable.  They do fetch pretty money at farm sales, but stood with a half round tanalised alongside and a strap, the ducks can come up and shovel the corn up as they wish, stood on a 2x2 slab they stay nice and tidy.

Edited by Walker570

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, use the closed top ones with just the filler holes. Cut 6 inches off the BOTTOM as tht does not have any opening. Then I welded a 6 inch piece of 30 mil heavyish box section to an 18 inch similar material.  Then cut a slot in the short piece which will slide ovr the barrel material and make this slot about 5 inches ...place the slot over the edge of the barrel and without much force turn the handle to the side, you will find this will put a kink i it. Move the 'tool' up, lining the slot with the edge of the 'kink' and bend the other way, with a very little practise you can make a relly good job of reducing the size of the top of the barrel and the lid you have cut will just slide over neat and tidy.  I make the pheasant feeders now like the light blue one and it holds a couple of bags of corn.  The feed tray I make out of any spare bits of barrel I might have about as can be seen by the Castrol advert. You can, I hope, see from the photo how I make the 'table' for the barrel, makes moveing them easy. and I have yet to have a deer or badger knock one over.   If you accept having the screw caps on the lid thn you can make two 'dumpy' feeders from two barrels, just cut one in half and crimp both pieces, then cut two six inch lids froma second barrel and you will have quite abit of spare metl for making the feeder trays.

Squirrel proof and badger muntie proof if you weld some square reinforcing wire mesh around the legs.

An idea for feeding ducks, there are some calf feeders about, about 12 inch square..3ft high, plastic material with a feed tray at the bottom and adjustable.  They do fetch pretty money at farm sales, but stood with a half round tanalised alongside and a strap, the ducks can come up and shovel the corn up as they wish, stood on a 2x2 slab they stay nice and tidy.

Mate your a genius, I think I’ll make a bigger oil drum with one of your top hats

Have you got any pictures of your crimp of the barrel for the drum lid to sit over? 

4 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Mate your a genius, I think I’ll make a bigger oil drum with one of your top hats

Have you got any pictures of your crimp of the barrel for the drum lid to sit over? 

I am going to have a look at one tomorrow and will take  photo and a photo of the crimping tool for you.

Never thought of an IBC to prevent attack from badgers/deer.  probably cut in half would work, thanks for the idea I know where there are a few damaged ones as well.

On 27/02/2019 at 22:24, Walker570 said:

I am going to have a look at one tomorrow and will take  photo and a photo of the crimping tool for you.

Never thought of an IBC to prevent attack from badgers/deer.  probably cut in half would work, thanks for the idea I know where there are a few damaged ones as well.

Thank you 👍

If you have a disc grinder which will take the thin cutting disks then those discs do  good job of cutting the slot. Make sure the slot is cut straightthrough from one side otherwise they don't line up.  Photos tomorrow and looking at the weather I can actually make a drum up and photograph it as I go. 

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If you have a disc grinder which will take the thin cutting disks then those discs do  good job of cutting the slot. Make sure the slot is cut straightthrough from one side otherwise they don't line up.  Photos tomorrow and looking at the weather I can actually make a drum up and photograph it as I go. 

I have wee 1mm thick cutting discs I can use on a 115mm grinder, would they be ok? 

OK full description down in crafts section with photos.  Now for your needs, I believe you could use the same system but  crimp the top of a full 45, to do this you would have to cut off the rim, then cut the botom off another drum and that will then fit snug over the crimp, cut a six inch section off the top of that and crimp the extension, then the piece you have cut off will be the lid.  I suggest you maybe just go for half of a drum for the extension as the whole thing would be a) too high to fill easily and 2) unstable, needing a couple of tanalised posts to secure it

I have not tried this but can't see how it would not work. You could put two or three self tappers to keep them together but I think a half drum would sit firmly on a full 45 no trouble.

OF COURSE  you could just make more feeders.  Ducks are not too dominant like pheasants where even a hen bird can drive off others. In fact whn I have sat for many hours waiting for tree rats I have noticed just how aggressive hen pheasants can be to others.  Regularly see a cock bird putting a tree rat in it's place.

Hope this all helps.

Edited by Walker570