Plant ID and how to take cuttings of them?

henry d

I loved a couple of these flowering bushes that I came across at the back of some houses and now growing wild. First is a climber and the flowers are beautifully scented and I tried to take cuttings in the autumn and just plonked them into pots with compost but they stayed ok for a month then gradually lost their leaves and on inspection there was no root.

409142459_WP_20180701_06_27_10_Pror.jpg.4758430c7c996b358c1b40161bca0310.jpg

Next was a white flowering shrub/possibly climber as I didn`t take much notice to be honest.

577316107_WP_20180629_17_30_00_Pror.jpg.aad0cc8c1bcca340c5bd2912e9845b8d.jpg

Any help with naming and/or help with how to take cuttings gratefully received.

Dip the cutting bases in hormone rooting powder, and keep damp. Put a little plastic bag tent over the pot to keep moisture in - the soil needs to be damp, not soaking wet. If hardwood cutting you can scrape a bit of the base of the cutting to encourage root growth before dipping in HRP.

Having said that, some species' cuttings root better than others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2019 at 15:02, JDog said:

I confess I have never seen the plant in the top picture. The one in the second picture is Campanula persicifolia and could be any one of a number of cultivars.

It seems to be Campsis Radicans, but a smaller flower than most I`ve seen online, I meant the white flower in the picture, looks almost like a wild rose, but no thorns and it was either a massive bush or creeper, but I can`t seem to find it anywhere.

Hi,

I have a free app on my smartphone called " Picture This" which is a plant ID app.

I took photos of your pics and the app tells me the top one is a Fushcia Hybrid and the bottom one is Balloon Flower or Platycodon Grandifloris!

Worth downloading the app, even if its just for fun

Edited by bobthedug