The very, Very end of the season. 31st January 2019

Big Al

I managed to escape work early on 31st January. Here, in NI, both game and wildfowl seasons end on this day. I left Ted at home and took the apprentice - he's coming on well now.

There's not a lot of shooting in this one, just "one man and his dog" on a walk about.  It's been on YouTube a while but I thought I'd stick it on here too.

Nice one Al  , I always make a special effort on the last day to put something in the bag , this year our last day was a walk about to clear up the last of the Pheasants , one day later than yours , so my last bird of this past season was Cock Pheasant .

Your young dog certainly look like he is enjoying himself and he will be more than capable to face the on coming new season .

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one.

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice one Al  , I always make a special effort on the last day to put something in the bag , this year our last day was a walk about to clear up the last of the Pheasants , one day later than yours , so my last bird of this past season was Cock Pheasant .

Your young dog certainly look like he is enjoying himself and he will be more than capable to face the on coming new season .

Thanks Marsh man. It's a strange thing but I always like to have a bird or two hanging on the first day of the close season.  Glad to hear you had a successful end to your season on 1st Feb.

1 hour ago, greylag said:

Have looked forward to your video during the season.Nice to have a last day to remember,the apprentice seems to be coming along nicely, I bet Ted did'nt like being left at home.I hope you summer well and it will fly by.

Thanks for your kind words greylag. And you're right. My wife informed me that Ted cried like baby while we were away. She has also made me promise that I'll take both from now, such was the racket he kicked up. 

Kind Regards Sir. Time to dust off the fishing rods!

A very pleasant way to end the season(s) , well done and thanks for letting us share your shooting.

You are lucky (or clever enough) to have two very good dogs to use and the decision on which one to leave behind is a killer, I have had that experience (and the conversation with the wife) and its not easy.

Perhaps you will bless us with some pigeon or crow shooting vids while we all wait for the game and wildfowling seasons to return.

5 hours ago, Cranfield said:

A very pleasant way to end the season(s) , well done and thanks for letting us share your shooting.

You are lucky (or clever enough) to have two very good dogs to use and the decision on which one to leave behind is a killer, I have had that experience (and the conversation with the wife) and its not easy.

Perhaps you will bless us with some pigeon or crow shooting vids while we all wait for the game and wildfowling seasons to return.

Much appreciated Cranfield. We don't have enough pigeons here to have a go at during the summer, but we do have plenty of crows!

On 07/03/2019 at 15:16, Gerry78 said:

Great video big Al that’s brilliant work for the young dog bear very  like my fox red lab 👍👍

Thanks Gerry. I'm waiting for the lighter evenings to get him going on hand signals and blinds.

Hel do fine mate can see by watching your video he has great drive in him for a young dog  I’m sure you’ll get plenty of great mornings in the hide with him and your pheasant hunting  👍On side point will be shooting Strangford Lough up coming season fingers crossed 🤞👍👍

17 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Hel do fine mate can see by watching your video he has great drive in him for a young dog  I’m sure you’ll get plenty of great mornings in the hide with him and your pheasant hunting  👍On side point will be shooting Strangford Lough up coming season fingers crossed 🤞👍👍

Strangford is huge. I shot it years ago - I found that was best to choose on stretch of shore and get to know it very well rather than to charge about all over it. Hope it goes well for you - which club did you join? Or are you a private permit holder?

Big Al I joined Strangford Lough wildfowlers they have plenty of foreshore to shoot as well as island on Lough Neagh if I get a boat There’s a bit of foreshore I’ve already walked not that far from we’re I live so will be shooting that mostly the upcoming season Reports coming of the lough saying there was good numbers of pintail season passed 👍

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Big Al I joined Strangford Lough wildfowlers they have plenty of foreshore to shoot as well as island on Lough Neagh if I get a boat There’s a bit of foreshore I’ve already walked not that far from we’re I live so will be shooting that mostly the upcoming season Reports coming of the lough saying there was good numbers of pintail season passed 👍

Sounds ideal. Straight shooting and dry powder sir!