Pigeon spinners any good

strimmer_13

Im new to this decoying lark so please ignore my stupidity.

Im wondering if i need movement in my pattern. Im laying the pattern out (8-18 shells) they come in but never get in range. They dont turn off as such, not in the way of being spooked, usually they ignore them when close and go land in the trees 50 yards away. Ive actually had better luck leaving the hide and standing by the hedge 70 opposite. Without spending mega money, im just going to keep adding to my collection every month, as i am getting double figures most times. 

So basically cant afford a rotary yet, or flapper, but seen the floaters and spinning wings are about £20 a pair, should i get some?

9 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

NO   dead birds on sticks provide all the movement you need Geff Garrod style see him on u tube.

They do, providing there is sufficient wind, but the Hyperflaps give movement in the slightest breeze.

OB

Movement in a pattern can help at times to draw  pigeon from a distance  and I personally use a rotary  or flapper or two if  I feel they are needed to do so ( I'm an ole f**t so the less gear I need to carry the better)

But on saying that I always start with a static pattern to see the pigeons reaction, if they seem un-committed or I cannot get close enough to their flight line then I will add movement , if they are happy to come into static decs then  I leave it as is.

Taking time watching the pigeon before picking your spot and setting up is important.

Use some spring sticks on your decoys to add a little movement by wind to your pattern,  a cheap and easy way to get some motion in your decoys .

If your handy with fiddling and fettling in a shed there is much you can do to make your decoys move on the cheap.

26 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

NO   dead birds on sticks provide all the movement you need Geff Garrod style see him on u tube.

I always grin at this response to this and similar questions (no offence meant). The advice is quite correct but is this not the chicken and egg type situation. How can the OP use dead birds if he can't attract woodies close enough to shoot them?

If not using a rotary (and they are not always the answer to a maidens prayer) I use floaters and landers ( make my own) and Spring sticks on shell decoys, replacing decoys with dead pigeons when shot.

Sadly this advice is from faded memories as there is Sweet Fanny Adams by way of pigeons here just north of Bristol. This has been the position for months. Plus my permissions OSR was totalled with Flea Beetle. He will no longer plant OSR. So good luck to all PW members with something to shoot at.

Ive no problem getting a few down and freezing a couple each time. As said they are coming into the trees opposit, but my choice of shooting postions are limited badly here, as ive the main road into yeovil behind me, and yeovil town 450 yards to the right. ******. 

Think im going to get some spring sticks fir my shells, make my own floater cradles, and buy hypa flapers straight away.  

Ive got a few hours off today anyway as i shoved a hedge cutter into my leg yesterday, ill keep shopping and look at ideas. Ordered some decoying books to read as well. 

Ill look into making a rotary, just need to source steel cheap enough to warrent it. Im very confident i can make the floaters cheaper than the £15-20 each ive seen. Also ive my shooting partner, ill see if he wants to share the costs. 

Thanks for the advice, youll probably hear from me again when ive ******** it all up. 

👍

Edited by strimmer_13

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ive no problem getting a few down and freezing a couple each time. As said they are coming into the trees opposit, but my choice of shooting postions are limited badly here, as ive the main road into yeovil behind me, and yeovil town 450 yards to the right. ******. 

Think im going to get some spring sticks fir my shells, make my own floater cradles, and buy hypa flapers straight away.  

Ive got a few hours off today anyway as i shoved a hedge cutter into my leg yesterday, ill keep shopping and look at ideas. Ordered some decoying books to read as well. 

Ill look into making a rotary, just need to source steel cheap enough to warrent it. Im very confident i can make the floaters cheaper than the £15-20 each ive seen. Also ive my shooting partner, ill see if he wants to share the costs. 

Thanks for the advice, youll probably hear from me again when ive ******** it all up. 

👍

Only way to learn is to get out there, try something and change little details until it all falls in to place.

Good luck.

Movement of decoys is not always required. Being in the spot where pigeons want to be is far more important. I may have said this before, but I know a chap who only uses dead birds as decoys. He regularly starts with a single dead pigeon, and builds up bags of over 100 from there. He doesn't use magnets or flappers.

Edited by motty

With the rape now beginning to take off , make sure your decoys show above so pigeons can see them from a distance , if you can come across some fencing wire you can easily make your own cradles to sit the pigeons on .

If you have got a sporting auction coming up soon around your way check it out either on line or go there on the viewing day which is normally the day before the auction .

The one near us have always got a lot of unwanted pigeon gear , you would be surprised how many people buy all the gear and then a few months later it is all up for sale with very little use , the main reason for selling is , haven't no longer got the time 😊

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

With the rape now beginning to take off , make sure your decoys show above so pigeons can see them from a distance , if you can come across some fencing wire you can easily make your own cradles to sit the pigeons on .

If you have got a sporting auction coming up soon around your way check it out either on line or go there on the viewing day which is normally the day before the auction .

The one near us have always got a lot of unwanted pigeon gear , you would be surprised how many people buy all the gear and then a few months later it is all up for sale with very little use , the main reason for selling is , haven't no longer got the time 😊

Salisbury is coming up on the 23rd. I was going as i want a 16g sxs project. I do remember seeing some last time i was there actually but i had no fields local then. Ill check it out 

5 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Salisbury is coming up on the 23rd. I was going as i want a 16g sxs project. I do remember seeing some last time i was there actually but i had no fields local then. Ill check it out 

They are well worth checking out if you want shooting gear , if you buy anything and cant get on with it you can then put it back in the next time they have one , apart from the fees you shouldn't lose much 

With guns you need to check them out by somebody who know what to look for as repairs can be expensive on old English guns , which often cost a lot more than the gun is worth , although having said that , you can also find some very good bargains , GOOD LUCK if you go .

On 26/02/2019 at 08:43, Bobba said:

I always grin at this response to this and similar questions (no offence meant). The advice is quite correct but is this not the chicken and egg type situation. How can the OP use dead birds if he can't attract woodies close enough to shoot them?

If not using a rotary (and they are not always the answer to a maidens prayer) I use floaters and landers ( make my own) and Spring sticks on shell decoys, replacing decoys with dead pigeons when shot.

Sadly this advice is from faded memories as there is Sweet Fanny Adams by way of pigeons here just north of Bristol. This has been the position for months. Plus my permissions OSR was totalled with Flea Beetle. He will no longer plant OSR. So good luck to all PW members with something to shoot at.

Brest a few out and freeze the carcasses ready for the pigeons return.