What chokes for pigeon with 20 bore

Scenic Sam

5 hours ago, Scenic Sam said:

Just aquired a Yildiz 20 bore. I use 1/2  & 1/2 in my 12. Should I use the same or use 1/2 & 3/4, using 28g ,6s

hello, why do you use the same choke in both barrels, ? 6 shot will give you a good pattern using improved cylinder at 30 yards half or 3/4 choke will do 10/15 yards more, well within a decoy pattern range,   PS welcome to pigeon watch

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, why do you use the same choke in both barrels, ? 6 shot will give you a good pattern using improved cylinder at 30 yards half or 3/4 choke will do 10/15 yards more, well within a decoy pattern range,   PS welcome to pigeon watch

Don't use 6s so possibly a bit out of order, but yep, a good pattern at 30 yards with IC but a glance at the Eley diary suggests that even going up to Full you won't quite make an extra 10 yards. That though does assume that the IC/30 yards pattern is at its max limit.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Don't use 6s so possibly a bit out of order, but yep, a good pattern at 30 yards with IC but a glance at the Eley diary suggests that even going up to Full you won't quite make an extra 10 yards. That though does assume that the IC/30 yards pattern is at its max limit.

hello, ah sorry i was going on the grand prix 6s 12 bore cartridges from the good old days ha ha, 

17 hours ago, Scenic Sam said:

Just aquired a Yildiz 20 bore. I use 1/2  & 1/2 in my 12. Should I use the same or use 1/2 & 3/4, using 28g ,6s

Start with 1/2 &1/2 , stick to the same cartridge and see how you get on. 

When you have shot 50 or so , you will then start get an idea if you need to increase or decrease . 

3 hours ago, db135 said:

A found my 20bore to pattern tighter than my 12 with the same type of chokes in normally shoot 1/4 and half in 12gauge went to skeet and 1/4 in 20 

Don’t you use smaller carts though? 

Eg if your using 32g of 6 as an average cart in a 12, your average cart in a 20 would be something like a 25g of 6’s. 

You’ll therefore need a tighter choke to get the same density due to missing shot quantity. 

If your going to use 30g 6’s in a 20 don’t see why people don’t just use a light weight 12 Bore. 

Edited by Lloyd90

I have a fixed choke 20g Macnab Highlander choked 1/4 & 1/2 so don't have a choice, but find 28gram fibre wad RC Sipe No.6s works well enough for me, so don't have to worry about which choke combination to use. Simple.

OB

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Don’t you use smaller carts though? 

Eg if your using 32g of 6 as an average cart in a 12, your average cart in a 20 would be something like a 25g of 6’s. 

You’ll therefore need a tighter choke to get the same density due to missing shot quantity. 

If your going to use 30g 6’s in a 20 don’t see why people don’t just use a light weight 12 Bore. 

:good:

Which by tighteneing the choke means that you've made things harder for yourself. Also it's unavoidable that the effective range is going to be reduced. So why not use 7s which will have the same number of pellets as detailed above so the chokes can be kept the same and they will have the same effective range in terms of energy as do the 6s in terms of pattern.

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

:good:

Which by tighteneing the choke means that you've made things harder for yourself. Also it's unavoidable that the effective range is going to be reduced. So why not use 7s which will have the same number of pellets as detailed above so the chokes can be kept the same and they will have the same effective range in terms of energy as do the 6s in terms of pattern.

Where to find a 24g (ish) load of shot size 7 though? 

I believe gamebore White golds in 12 Bore are 28g - 7 1/2 are infact UK size 7. 

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Lylavale

Lylavale Supreme

Yep, and Fiocchi at £263 now, damnit! 3 days ago it was £254.

I am reliably informed by 'Julian' of Just Cartridges that the 7&1/2 Express "Competition" in 24g flavour are also 'Supreme' but Just Cartridges have called them this to differentiate from the game version.

Edited by wymberley

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Yep, and Fiocchi at £263 now, damnit! 3 days ago it was £254.

I am reliably informed by 'Julian' that the 7&1/2 Express "Competition" in 24g flavour are also 'Supreme' but Express have called them this to differentiate from the game version.

But they’re exactly the same power, lead weight and lead? 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

But they’re exactly the same power, lead weight and lead? 

My last post was in error and I've editted it. The competition version is 24g and (mine) has 321 pellets. I can't answer for the game ones other than they're 25g - the shop only had 6s and as I was only interested at that point in recoil I didn't think the shot size would make any difference in that respect.

On 26/02/2019 at 07:59, oldypigeonpopper said:

Thanks old piggy for the welcome and advise 😊