PHOTON MK 1 LENS UPGRADE ( EXTREME) USING ADAPTER AND 50/85 mm camera lens

oldypigeonpopper

hello, anyone done the above ? this unit is out of warranty and still in good working order, i see lots of info on NVUK regarding the XT , has any PW member done this and how better is the clarity and using, i thought i might do this for now rather than get a XT , looking at the PENTAX lenses, and is the adapter the same for MK1 to XT ? any advice welcome, 

Done it on the 6.5 version. Clarity is very, very good for the money. Particularly alongside the new generation laser illuminators. Being able to play around with the aperture setting as well as the focus means you can get a very good image. 

Just make sure you get a very good condition lens. They're obviously not designed for use on a centrefire rifle and so can work loose after a while, with wandering zero issues (learned that the hard way...). 

Sorry, just to clarify, mine is the 6.5 xt. 

7 hours ago, Novice said:

Done it on the 6.5 version. Clarity is very, very good for the money. Particularly alongside the new generation laser illuminators. Being able to play around with the aperture setting as well as the focus means you can get a very good image. 

Just make sure you get a very good condition lens. They're obviously not designed for use on a centrefire rifle and so can work loose after a while, with wandering zero issues (learned that the hard way...). 

Sorry, just to clarify, mine is the 6.5 xt. 

hello novice, thankyou to reply, i cannot find any videos on doing this from taking lens off to replacing with camera and adapter, ,  i do not think it matters if yours is a XT can you describe step by step guide, i am looking at a pentax M42  tukumar, 50mm or 85mm although the 85s are not cheap, it is for my CZ455 22 LR very smooth so would not worry on shocks, so you just use adapter and lens on front what about focusing long distance, i was think start with 50mm as one on ebay am looking at, any help appreciated

I followed this tutorial if I remember correctly. Pretty straightforward job. 

The nightvisionforum is the best source of info on the various lens options. A chap who goes by the user name fizzbangwallop ( may also be on here) was very helpful. 

I have a pentax super takumar lens.  Iirc its a 135mm, which gives a good amount of magnification, probably about 12x. 

One thing I do find an issue, particularly when a fox appears very close, is the narrow field of view. I sometimes see a fox through my handheld spotter, then struggle to pick it up when I transfer to the photon, especially if the fox is on the move  

I've heard it said that using nightvision is like looking at the world through a toilet roll tube. That description is bang on the money in my case! 

51 minutes ago, Novice said:

I followed this tutorial if I remember correctly. Pretty straightforward job. 

The nightvisionforum is the best source of info on the various lens options. A chap who goes by the user name fizzbangwallop ( may also be on here) was very helpful. 

I have a pentax super takumar lens.  Iirc its a 135mm, which gives a good amount of magnification, probably about 12x. 

One thing I do find an issue, particularly when a fox appears very close, is the narrow field of view. I sometimes see a fox through my handheld spotter, then struggle to pick it up when I transfer to the photon, especially if the fox is on the move  

I've heard it said that using nightvision is like looking at the world through a toilet roll tube. That description is bang on the money in my case! 

hello novice, thanks to reply, i looked at that video, my old MK 1 has screw fitting and easier to get off, i was thinking of the pentax 80/100/135 mm and trawling through the sale adds, i see the adapters are £40, i think if i pick up a lens around £40/50/60 i will be pleased, thankyou again

On 26/02/2019 at 08:20, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, anyone done the above ? this unit is out of warranty and still in good working order, i see lots of info on NVUK regarding the XT , has any PW member done this and how better is the clarity and using, i thought i might do this for now rather than get a XT , looking at the PENTAX lenses, and is the adapter the same for MK1 to XT ? any advice welcome, 

hello, just an update, well today i did the extreme to my MK 1 Photon that i keep as spare, i was lucky to pick up a good condition Pentax 105 mm lens and bought an adapter which came today, the MK 1 lens was quite easy to take off, 3 small screws under the plastic caps,  it has a small film of loctite the one that just holds, a firm hand on the unit and the lens will break the hold so unscrew, clean off glue and replace with adapter, i put 1 screw back but not tight, it holds well so screw on new lens and all looks good, i tried this evening and reckon 50% better clarity with 10 magnification, maybe a bit to much for air rifle, 22 L/R but good for HMR and bigger calibre, will be getting a 55mm lens as was told depth of field better at shorter distance, i shall be putting on rifle this week and reckon a 75 yard zero will be better than the 50 yard i did before, note the XTs original lens are not as easy to get off, not sure any screws but harder loctite so might need a gadget like in video, great help from Pete ( fizzbangwollop) on the NVUK forum, cheers

18 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just an update, well today i did the extreme to my MK 1 Photon that i keep as spare, i was lucky to pick up a good condition Pentax 105 mm lens and bought an adapter which came today, the MK 1 lens was quite easy to take off, 3 small screws under the plastic caps,  it has a small film of loctite the one that just holds, a firm hand on the unit and the lens will break the hold so unscrew, clean off glue and replace with adapter, i put 1 screw back but not tight, it holds well so screw on new lens and all looks good, i tried this evening and reckon 50% better clarity with 10 magnification, maybe a bit to much for air rifle, 22 L/R but good for HMR and bigger calibre, will be getting a 55mm lens as was told depth of field better at shorter distance, i shall be putting on rifle this week and reckon a 75 yard zero will be better than the 50 yard i did before, note the XTs original lens are not as easy to get off, not sure any screws but harder loctite so might need a gadget like in video, great help from Pete ( fizzbangwollop) on the NVUK forum, cheers

Nice one Gordon....been a pleasure helping you.

cheers

fizz